Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Q's:those that rode with Demick or Rob @ WCC autoX, as a passanger in one of thier fast runs
Mueller
post Jun 8 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Were you scared?? j/k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Did you learn anything from it?

Did you try and duplicate thier driving lines or braking points?

Think you'll be able to beat them one day??

I have yet to have the chance to ride along with either one, or anyone actually quicker than me (about half the car driving population)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PatW
post Jun 8 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #2

Wassup?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

No, I wanted to take another ride with Rob but, didn't get the chance Sat. Maybe next time. I rode with him last year at the Autocross School.. Learned I need to pick my lines better and GET ON THE GAS, still a problem... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Can I beat Rob?.. Maybe.. Demick?. I don't think so. More seat time will tell.

Pat
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 8 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

You wont learn how well YOUR car sticks riding with anyone. Demick/Rob/Randall ar all in a different ballpark. Riding with them is a sensory overload. You *might* learn something in one corner (long sweeper or something), but otherwise a newbie will be behind in their thought process. Look at the pics.. the faster people all have their head "looking ahead"

B
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jun 8 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #4

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

I will add this. Riding with Randal on his last run in Reno gave me a HUGE confidence booster. You can take the corners THAT fast.
He's a great driver and has taught me a lot. Thanks to Randal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Riding with an experienced driver will teach you to be more aggressive.

At least for me.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 9 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #5

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I rode with demick on the street for a while.

It was fun riding in a stock 914. Nothing fast, (saved all that for the auto x) but fun riding in a stock car.

Too bad I couldnt hitch a ride in a fast driver.. I needed to see where I was wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Andrew
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 9 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #6

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

As my work assignment, I ALWAYS ask to work cones or safety rover....anything that gets me out there to watch how guys deal with the course.

I'll never see that particular course again, but I'll see chuncks of it. Use you powers of observation .....line, brake points, engine note......then a fast guy comes thru.... whaaa,whizz, wiggle & he's gone....HTF did he do that???watch him closer next time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 9 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Can I beat Rob?.. Maybe..  More seat time will tell.

Man I hope so. I'm not going to get any faster without some heat coming up the ranks.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 9 2004, 08:26 AM
Post #8

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

Hey Mueller - catch me at the next autox (not this weekend - I'm in family payback mode from last weekend) and we'll go for a spin. The whole key to these cars is simple - don't slow down! Carry as much speed through the corners as possible. Because of lack of engine power you get severely punnished for slowing any more in the corners than you have to.

Demick
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 9 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Mueller, the driver definately has skills that come out over time. Then again, look at what Britain did with his 1.7. The key is to get your car sorted out right (Brad), get as much seat time as you can, and then get an instructor in your car every chance you get.

My "aha" moment occurred as an instructor last year at the Zone 7 AX School (sign up now for this year before its too late), when another instructor drove my car 2 seconds faster than I did. I just kept asking her (yes her) to keep driving around and around until I got the feel for throwing my car out there as far as it can go, and then bring it back. I still have a way to go, but my goals now are to post my lowest times in the first 3-4 runs, instead of runs 10-12. It comes down to preparation and walking the course which I never get to do while I'm working.

I always seem to lose to Demick, but he's a very good driver and he's been doing this twice as long as I have. I've have some things up my sleve though which may get me closer.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jun 9 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Mike

I rode with both and enjoyed it a bunch. I was left with a feeling I have a long ways to go. The best single piece of advice I got came from Brad. He said "KEEP YOUR RIGHT FOOT DOWN". I'm gonna work on that.

Dave
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Jun 9 2004, 08:55 AM
Post #11

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Hey Mike,

Your other option is to stuff all kinds of HP in the car like I did, floor it, and go along for the ride! If you're going to Marina this weekend, you can catch a ride with me if you'd like. I'm not anywhere near the skill level of Demick or Rob, but you'll get the drift of how you can make up for the skill delta by using some over the counter parts.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Whenever I can, I watch the Bi/BP drivers and their techniques. Did you know that Demick has a very calm look on his face when he drives? Seriously, I've watched these guys for the last year, and they do look ahead and smooth it out. Geez, at the WCC Demick looked like he was out for a drive around the block by his facial expressions, yet the car is hauling ass around the track.

I'm trying very hard to smooth it out. Not too successful yet, but I'm trying.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 9 2004, 08:59 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Good advise Bill.

You never see me smiling like Demick since I drive will a full face (and tinted) helmet, but I'm pretty sure my tongue is hanging out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 9 2004, 09:05 AM
Post #13

Ernie made me do it!

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 9 2004, 06:55 AM)
I'm not anywhere near the skill level of Demick or Rob,

Oh Please. There's no way to get the car around the track like you do without some great driving Bill. I've learned how to get a low powered car around the track pretty quick. But I've never even tried a high powered car. Totally different experience and style is required. I have no need for throttle control. You could replace my accelerator with an on/off switch and I would do just as well (because that's how I use my accelerator already). In a high powered car where throttle control is necessary I would do horribly. If I took a spin in your car I'm sure it would be literally 'a spin'.

I'm sure your car is MUCH more diffucult to drive than my car, and takes a much higher skill level. But of course, once you have mastered how to drive the car, it has amazing potential.

Unfortunately I wasn't even able to concentrate on my driving on Saturday. Getting my 4 timed runs in was more like a chore that I had to hurry through to get back to the trailer. I forgot to even adjust my tire pressures (I always arrive with an extra 5-10 lbs of pressure because it is easier to let out than add). So I ran all day at 33-35 lbs when I should have been running 26-27lbs. That's worth an easy 1/2 second right there.

One thing I did learn on Saturday is that it is much more fun to attend an autocross as just a participant.

Demick
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 9 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #14

914 Wizard

One thing I did learn on Saturday is that it is much more fun to attend an autocross as just a participant.

AMEN
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Jun 9 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #15

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

I completely agree to all the statements made by Rob, Demick, and Bill. Getting these little cars around the track takes complete concentration, focus, and determination. I spend a huge amount of time thinking in my head after each run on how I can approach a certain section of track to get the car through faster. I also never let off the gas, because if I do I spend way too much time getting the car back in the RPM range that is make power (if you wanna to refer to a 1.7 making power). I actually do modulate the throttle quite a bit to keep it it RPM's up and I practive my blip throttle all the time on the street to get it down. I drive the piss out of the car each and ever time around the track and hang it out on edge while the car leans like a land yacht. It is hard for me to take passengers because it is like putting a lead weight in my car...makes it even slower.

-Britain
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 9 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #16

Ernie made me do it!

QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jun 9 2004, 08:27 AM)
and I practive my blip throttle all the time on the street to get it down.

-Britain

Good thing to practice on the street. Heel-toe braking/downshifting. In our old cars with synchromesh transmissions it helps in 2 ways. 1. You can downshift faster my matching revs. 2. It also matches revs for when you let out the clutch. When you are braking and/or cornering at the limit, popping out the clutch without matching revs will upset the car and can cause a loss of rear traction or even a spinout

Heel-toe isn't something that comes naturally to most people (feels very awkward at first). But if you get in the habit of doing it whenever you drive on the street it will become second nature and you won't even know you are doing it after awhile. And it has to become an automatic reflex to be used effectively on the autox course. So practice up guys. It makes a difference. Your synchros will thank you too.

Most people drove Saturday's autox in 2nd gear only so on a course like that there is no chance to use it of course. I purposefully designed the course so that you wouldn't have to shift. But most of the autocrosses I go to I have to shift between 2nd and 3rd gear anywhere from once to four times in a run.

Demick
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 9 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #17

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Question from a novice: When you say "never let off the gas" what exactly do you mean? I can't imagine that you don't have to slow for certain corners. Doesn't that require lifting off the throttle? Do you experienced fast guys (Demick, Rob, Bill, Britain) left foot brake? Help an old guy pick up a second or two!!!
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 9 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #18

Ernie made me do it!

Never is inaccurate. There are places where you have to lift and brake and places where you have to modulate the throttle. I don't left foot brake at all, but that's just me. With some experience you will realize that you can drive much faster through most turns than you realize. As regular street drivers we are taught to drive down the middle of the lane, brake and slow before turning, and then accelerate out of the turns. With racing you have to throw all of those old habits out the window. You never drive down the center of the lane - you use all of the lane width available to straighten out corners and carry speed through them. This is true for any car - to carry as much speed through the corners as possible. But in a 914 or any low powered car you get severely punnished for slowing more than necessary in the corners because you don't have the horsepower to get back up to speed. 914's being lightweight and mid-engined also naturally have the ability to take corners faster than most other cars - so you have to take advantage of it.

In general, you should be under full acceleration or full braking at all times. You should never coast or hesitate before going from full braking to full acceleration or visa versa. There are exceptions like long sweepers or slalloms where you have to modulate the throttle. But other than that - full acceleration or full braking 100% of the time. That's sort of what is meant by 'never let up'.

Demick
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 9 2004, 07:54 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I only use left foot braking when I cannot get the nose to turn in and I have no room for adjustment on the actual car. Typically I'm bringing a road race car to an AutoX which requires a TON of effort to get around a AutoX course. I'm seriously thinking about a dedicated AutoX car. I know where a dedicated AutoX 914 is sitting collecting weeds/dust..with history.. The owner likes me and has no intentions of running it again.. I may ask him if I can restore it (Gary Walton)

Demick/Rob/Bill/Randal truelly perform 914 ballet each time the grean flag drops. I'm sure JP is right there with them.

It is 100% true about riding with a fast person. I tell people: if you have never lived in the ghetto.. you will never know what it is like. Same with our cars. Until you feel the absolute limit of our cars properly prepared on sticky tires... you will never know the limit.

B
+Quote Post
RD Evans
post Jun 9 2004, 09:41 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 923

I had my first Auto X experience as a passenger in Demick's car and I was amazed at how he drove and carried on a conversation at the same time! I am hooked! I want to Auto X my car...even if my times are dog slow and I knock over rows of cones!

Thanks again Demick, and to the rest of the club members who all made me feel very welcomed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:24 PM