Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> advice on 914 restoration
JayKoit
post Jun 5 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,158
Region Association: Southern California

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I'm a long time Porsche enthusiast, and I'm looking for some advice.

I'd like to purchase and restore an old Porsche 914, or possibly a 912. I did a '73 Super Beetle restoration about 12 years ago and loved it, and I'm hoping some of what I learned in that process will translate over to a 914/912 restoration, at least in the powertrain dept. Not sure if anyone on this forum has 912 restoration experience, but my main question is: if i'm on a budget, and my only experience is restoring a beetle, which one would be a better fit for my wallet & experience level, or are they about the same? Also, is there a notable difference in insurance premiums between the two? Finally, if I find a good, mostly rust free roller without engine or tranny, what would a ground up restoration cost on a 914 if I just went with standard engine, tranny, suspension, etc?I love both models equally, just wondering if anyone would be willing to give me feedback on this. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 5 2011, 01:16 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Well being that this is a 914 website, you might expect a slight slant towards 914s as the preference! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

IMHO the 914 will always out handle the 912/912E due to the superior mid-engine layout & better weight balance (close to 50:50). (14-6's are the top dog to collectors but pricey, 73 & 74 2.0 4's are the 2nd best (& the 74 LE/CanAm's are among them), with the 75 & 76 2.0 4's next most popular - the 2.0's for the better power, but a strong 70-72 1.7 is close in power to the later 75-76 2.0's.

However, in CA you'll want to stick with the pre-76 914's to avoid semi-annual smog checks & the expense of keeping them in compliance, since 75 & earlier are smog exempt with DMV (same for all autos).

Find the best & most complete & most rust-free example you can find to start with, then the sources on here & those that members can lead you to will provide what you'll need for the resto project.

Also, think of going to Medford OR for a 914 long weekend at the end of June (see topic in the Garage forum), and the G&R 914 parts swap & BBQ this Oct.+/- (last one was 5/1 :-( ), etc. to get to know folks on here better in person.

There is some good info on 914s in the link at the top: 914 info - as well as at the following sites:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
http://www.bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/
p914.com

So (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) & read up, then onward with your quest! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 5 2011, 04:33 AM
Post #3

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 5 2011, 06:31 AM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

What they said. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) With one addition. I doubt you will find a better support group with any other type vehicle than you will find here. Check the classified here. There are always some great cars for sale.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 5 2011, 06:52 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 5 2011, 05:31 AM) *

What they said. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) With one addition. I doubt you will find a better support group with any other type vehicle than you will find here. Check the classified here. There are always some great cars for sale.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Restoring a SB and a 914 are in the same genre. Buy as much as you can and buy it right. Bring your wallet and have fun!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 5 2011, 07:03 AM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Welcome by all means to the madness. This is a seriously great group of 914 fanatics. The depth of information about these cars here is crazy. Of course I think you are better off restoring a 914....but that was obvious.

Good luck in your quest to find the right car for you and may you have a ton of fun restoring it to one you will be proud to drive.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 5 2011, 08:07 AM
Post #7

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

BTW: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

The only thing I suggest, spend $8K to $10K up front for a running rust free 914 and you will spend less money in the end. If you buy a low buck rust bucket you will spend more in the final restoration along with a 5-10 year project (really). Parts are getting scarce and expensive. I understand everyone's budget is different, but if you have it spend it up front.

I completely restored my 914 about 10-years ago on a rust free CA car and spent about $12K in parts with a lot of horse trading to bring my total restoration cost in at about $20K. I believe today's replacement parts will be in the $20K range, not including motor work for a CW type restoration plus labor costs, paint & misc services. Cost can be reduced if your a do it yourself guy. Make a plan before you start. Do you want a daily driver or CW restoration or ??? Everything depends on your up front $-budget?? This site is the best in 914 land. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) We are here to help!!!

Tom
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 5 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #8

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Agree about paying more now to pay less later. But often the only way to get the far I want is to buy a fixer and then slowly pay out.

A lot Of the skills you learned with the beetle will help with a 914 or 912. They are built similarly. A 912 will probably have a much more expensive engine unless you get the 912E. A TIV engine is a little more expensive to build then a TI, but they are just as easy. Rust will be an issue just as it probably was for the bug.

Good luck and we will be interested in whatever you get!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 5 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #9

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(JayKoit @ Jun 4 2011, 11:57 PM) *

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I'm a long time Porsche enthusiast, and I'm looking for some advice.

I'd like to purchase and restore an old Porsche 914, or possibly a 912. I did a '73 Super Beetle restoration about 12 years ago and loved it, and I'm hoping some of what I learned in that process will translate over to a 914/912 restoration, at least in the powertrain dept. Not sure if anyone on this forum has 912 restoration experience, but my main question is: if i'm on a budget, and my only experience is restoring a beetle, which one would be a better fit for my wallet & experience level, or are they about the same? Also, is there a notable difference in insurance premiums between the two? Finally, if I find a good, mostly rust free roller without engine or tranny, what would a ground up restoration cost on a 914 if I just went with standard engine, tranny, suspension, etc?I love both models equally, just wondering if anyone would be willing to give me feedback on this. Thanks!

If you buy a roller w/o engine and tranny you will drop about 900 - 9000. There is/was a 1.7 running engine advertised here for 350 this week. Or you can buy one of Jakes creations for 7000 and up. Best buy = McMarks (one of our members) 2056cc. Good tranny's 200 and up. Suspension/brakes can be what you want it to be; 50 - 1200 stock configuration. Interior; I'd buy one mostly complete. It's a PITA trying to have a seat/windshield shipped. Be patient and wait for a min rust (the only remaining rust free model belongs to the tooth fairy) 73+ model that is running. If it runs you can check out the brakes, suspension and tranny and eliminate the guess work. BTW, you'll want a side shift tranny which would be std eqp on 73+ models. Depending upon the degree of head work and if your crank is good expect 1000-1500 to rebuild it yourself less P&C's.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 5 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #10

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Typically, the more you spend on the front end, the less you'll spend in the long run. Always be patient and get the best car you can afford.
+Quote Post
jzdu
post Jun 5 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,268
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I started with a $2300 1973 that looked like someone painted it with a roller. Almost four years later, I've got around 14k invested. I've only driven my car once, the day I bought it. I expect to be driving it any day though!
+Quote Post
JayKoit
post Jun 5 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,158

Wow! Thanks so much for the warm welcome and all the great advice. I can tell this group will be very friendly and helpful throughout my quest. I really appreciate all the great feedback.

...oh, and I think the 914 is definitely the way to go!

Cheers,
Jason
+Quote Post
Surferdean
post Jul 6 2022, 08:26 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 26,675
Region Association: North East States

Hello my name is Dean and nrw to the group
Recently purchased my first 914 and looking to restore
I’m on Long Island NY , and looking for a place that would do Resturation
Any help would be appreciated
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jul 6 2022, 10:01 AM
Post #14

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jul 6 2022, 06:36 PM
Post #15

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

QUOTE(Surferdean @ Jul 6 2022, 07:26 AM) *

Hello my name is Dean and nrw to the group
Recently purchased my first 914 and looking to restore
I’m on Long Island NY , and looking for a place that would do Resturation
Any help would be appreciated

Hello Dean, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) .

I’d suggest you start a clean, new thread, people tend to skim through these threads, the last guy didn’t even notice he was responding to a 11 year old thread…

Sorry I have no help for you, but a lot of good people on here who can point you in the right direction!
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jul 6 2022, 08:45 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Support for 914s is strong, with vendors like 914 Rubber, Restoration Design, and Auto Atlanta (plus lots of other vendors and used part sources), and with moral support and advice from the people on this website.

I can't speak directly about 912s. I suspect similar sources exist, especially with overlap with 911s. I also suspect that might be pricier.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 7 2022, 04:58 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 5 2011, 11:42 AM) *

Typically, the more you spend on the front end, the less you'll spend in the long run. Always be patient and get the best car you can afford.

A word from the wise. In my many years of fooling with old cheap junk, I have learned the hard way to take your time and find something decent to start with.

BTW: Welcome aboard to the 914 Ward
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:04 AM