Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another new newb!
Andy
post Jun 10 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,194

Hi! I'm finally starting to tear into my 914 restoration and I thought I should introduce myself before starting into my flurry of questions. I've been lurking around for a while and this board seems like a great resource with really great people.

Here's my project car... Looks like a reasonable daily driver doesn't it?

(IMG:http://www.anschlagen.net/914.jpg)

It's not... But I knew that when I bought it - the previous owner was very upfront about the condition (he even told me about this board!). It' not like it's a basket case, I've got the parts in cardboard boxes... Lots and lots of cardboard boxes... As far as I know this car is a '74 1.8, paint is original (but 30 years of mountain sun mean you can take it down to primer with your fingernail), and I have no idea when it picked up the 2.0 wheels, but I've got 5 of 'em! BTW it had an original windshield too, but my first resto lesson was that 30 year old adhesive is stronger than glass.

Anyway, I know a bit about fabrication from building rockcrawling Jeeps but this a different animal... I'm still looking in the boxes for the radiator (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ... Thanks in advance for the help!

-Andy Neal
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
type47
post Jun 10 2004, 10:32 AM
Post #2

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

and everybody knows, yellow 914's are faster!
+Quote Post
machina
post Jun 10 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

looks pretty nice from here. your gonna have fun. like me, you'll probably find yourself running from the garage to the computer to ask questions.

also, I have the same parking device under my right front tire!

dr
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 10 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

If it has front/rear sway bars and a center console with temp, clock and amp guage, it is populary called the "S" model and more than likely came with the FUCHs wheels. It looks like Sunflower Yellow.

You will find the radiator in the box labeled "Unecessary Cooling Parts" along with the associated hoses and thermostat housing for the engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

And Welcome to the Board - requirements of ownership and membership are a sense of humor, abestos underwear and high tolerance of blood, pain and patience. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) plus a high limit credit card and an AA card.

Happy motoring!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jun 10 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

Welcome to the board!

If it has rust ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)), that welding experience from rock crawling will come in handy.

BTW, do you do rock crawling events in Colorado?
+Quote Post
Andy
post Jun 10 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #6

A Honda guy once told me that yellow was the fastest color - heck it was the whole reason I bought this car! Must be the primer that keeps it on jackstands... That or my lazy self not getting to work on it.

I'm prepared, got a laptop set up in the workshop 'n everything.

I don't compete my heep, I do sometimes run trails with folks who do - and it's a lot of travel, time, and money. Besides, I see what the full-on comp buggies do and I know I'd lose! Here's a little dick-waving though!

(IMG:http://www.anschlagen.net/goldbar.JPG)

Not that tough an obstacle but a good picture, I thought about posting up in the "I hate Cayennes" thread but didn't. And I generally ridicule anyone with the "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" stickers, because they usually don't understand.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jun 10 2004, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

I had a high school teacher that was a huge offroader that lives in Colorado during the summer and competes with his jeep. I asked him what was the best car to offroad with, and he said almost anything will work as long as you dont care about it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

I would friggen die if I tore off a fender on a new cayenne turbo... Ive seen the aftermath of what the rocks can do, and you'de be lucky to walk away one fender shy of a complete car.

Nice picture! Those rigs surly are feats of engineering.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 10 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #8

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(MattR @ Jun 10 2004, 02:16 PM)
I had a high school teacher that was a huge offroader that lives in Colorado during the summer and competes with his jeep. I asked him what was the best car to offroad with, and he said almost anything will work as long as you dont care about it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

I would friggen die if I tore off a fender on a new cayenne turbo... Ive seen the aftermath of what the rocks can do, and you'de be lucky to walk away one fender shy of a complete car.

Nice picture! Those rigs surly are feats of engineering.

typical porsche owners consider 'off road' a gravel driveway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) they dont take their cars off road..... gotta keep em purdy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Andy
post Jun 10 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #9

I asked him what was the best car to offroad with, and he said almost anything will work as long as you dont care about it  .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Exactly!

You want to see a grown man cry, follow somebody that listened to the hype the salesman gave him and bought a new Hummer, Land Rover, Cayenne, etc then took it out to "See what it can really do"... They can crawl up a rock face right until they flip over! After 10 years it still cracks me up to see you many people buy/build a good off-roader but never take it out again once they take some damage.

Jeeps are easier, dents are character - pretty paint is laughed at. I don't doubt I can make a strong car... Making a good looking one may be quite a challenge though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
ein 6er
post Jun 10 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 300

welcome andy!!

i used to live in loveland and ft collins. i worked at the prime minister, do you remember it?

good luck with your project, this is the place with all the answers!!

doug
+Quote Post
Mrs. K
post Jun 10 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #11

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

Welcome Andy! Too bad you couldn't have come to the WCC last weekend! You could have met Ferg who is also from CO. (Boulder) He is, as are all the members, really knowledgable, and very nice!

Good Luck with your yellow car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Lisa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 10 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #12

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(Andy @ Jun 10 2004, 01:50 PM)
Jeeps are easier, dents are character - pretty paint is laughed at

Reminds me of a story from a friend who does rock crawling in NC -- has a 70s Range Rover w/right hand drive, snorkel, big ass winch, and a floorpan that would make the Flinstones envious. He sometimes goes to RR club gatherings and parks it next to the $90k brand new ones. He once was asked about the differences between his and the new (Discovery??), so he walks over and kicks the fender as hard as possible and a huge clump of mud falls out. He points to the mud and says "_That_ is the difference between mine and yours"

I thought it was hilarious. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
johnlush
post Jun 10 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #13

What's all this then?

Member No.: 2,108
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hi Andy, Welcome from another "newbie". There are several members in the NorCO area. Good luck and keep us posted on your project! Where was the Jeep picture taken? Not Elephant Hill in Canyonlands by any chance??
+Quote Post
Andy
post Jun 11 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #14

I remember where the Prime Minister was, i Used to live .5 mile from there. I don't know when you were last in Fort Fun but there's an Olive Garden there now - and it's getting hard to tell where Fort Collins ends and Loveland begins.

Close! It's the last real ledge on the Poison Spider Mesa / Golden Spike / Gold Bar Rim circuit in Moab - beautiful country out there.

It looks like there are a good number of 914 folks around here. One other funny thing... I've never driven one... Always liked them, was offered this one for a song, and picked it up, but the engine was already out, one of these days! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 11 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #15

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Andy @ Jun 10 2004, 02:50 PM)
Jeeps are easier, dents are character - pretty paint is laughed at.

*real* jeeps wear their road-kill!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Andy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 03:06 PM