Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Between a rock and a tranny, I need your collective advice
sgomes
post Jun 10 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #1

Electric Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,029

Hi all! Just wanted to start by saying that it was really fun putting faces to names at the WCC. I hope to have my car off the jackstands for next year. And to that end.....

The only major thing keeping my car off the road for the last THREE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) years is the tranny. Basically I was an idiot and bought a "rebuilt" side-shifter from Motor Meister for $1800. As Brad will attest it's basically junk. I only put about 10 miles on it while it put out all kinds of un-godly noise. It's way to late to try and get any money out of Motor Meister so basically I just have to put that $1800 bucks out of my mind.

There are some salvageable parts in this thing so it's not a TOTAL waste so here is my question:

Option 1) Brad and company have given me a general estimate of $2500 to get that one rebuilt and back on the road.

Option 2) Roll the dice and go looking for another tranny rebuilt or not.

Option 3) Maybe combine option 1 and 2 (with a cheap, un-rebuilt #2) and try to make 1+1=1

My goal is just to get the car back on the road and to never ever see the insides of another 901. This isn't an auto-x car just a daily driver.

Any thoughts?

Shannon
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 10 2004, 09:41 PM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

MY humble opinion.....find a trans out of a roller....even a tail slapper....trade parts and throw it in. I've done that for years. Everyone I blow up was due to me doing something abusive.....a lot of times.

The Rocket had two used transmissions with a Quaife LSD and I POUNDED on it with a 964 cammed 3.0.....one let go and I pulled the LSD and slammed it into a spare I had laying around.....

YMMV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 10 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I agree with Z -- unless you are (a) racing or (b) depending on your teener for daily transportation (doesn't sound like it based on your description) then your cheapest bet is to buy a few cheap used trannies, plug the best one into the car, and when that one blows up, start combining parts or simply plug the second bestest one in...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 11:10 AM