Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Right-Hand Drive 914??? WTF???, I've never seen one like this!
sgomes
post Jun 10 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #1

Electric Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,029

Check this out!

http://www.356-911.com/shop/carforsale/cra...914crayford.htm

Scroll to the bottom too...I've never seen wheels like that either! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

And it's for sale on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...2481381949&rd=1

Shannon
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Jun 10 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

...and someone in another thread was asking about alternatives to using a furniture dolly for an engine drop. I think I see an interesting alternative in the fifth picture down from the top.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 10 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

someone must live a sheltered life...not everyone drives on the same side as we do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jun 11 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 366

Now that is totally cool, Guess it wouldn't be too hard to convert back!!!!

Nice even the dash looks good, very pro conversion it appears to be.

Funny, seems in the local air cooled VW scene, all the kids want conversins to right hand drive. In a shop i know of they are working on a bug, and ghias conversion to right drive (along with other thingls like chop tops, french lights, ect...0 This is not for export, but to be driven on california roads! Guess RHD is the "in thing" in some circles.

I know in Australia, where they drive on the other side from here, there are fairly strict laws about bringing in a car to the country and converting it. What i have heard is you pretty much must convert the car to RHD in order to get it approved for use, hence Australians that want to import classic cars from the USA usually end up converting them. There is a big aftermarket conversion industry down under on RHD Mustangs, Cameros, and other American "iron", which are as popular there as they are here. some I have see look factory, very high quality conversions.

so how many of these rare RHD beasts are there? What about the new 914, the boxter, does the porsche factory make RHD boxters, or is the conversion donw aftermarket???
dave
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 11 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #5

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It has some similar characteristics to the freaky /6 that Dave and those guys were screwing with. I hope they see it.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 11 2004, 06:28 AM
Post #6

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Jun 10 2004, 10:27 PM)
so how many of these rare RHD beasts are there?

saw an ad recently - EBay or EBay-UK, i think, guy selling one of the original batch of 914's imported and converted by the importer. since it was the official Porsche distribution channel and there were several cars involved the run of conversion parts was of good quality. there were 25 cars in that batch.

Brian Doody (i think i've seen him here, posts to the RennList) converted a 914.6 and had quite a difficult time of it, but i gather the result came out quite well. He's in Ireland. IIRC no 6's were ever converted through 'official' channels so he's had to gather suitable parts from both 914 RHD (rare) and 911 RHD (lightly less rare) sources.
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Jun 11 2004, 06:49 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,896

I think it is a cool car but I wouldn't want it...

Reminds me of one of the worst movies ever made.....

"Corvette Summer"

Now that was a stupid figgin movie.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jun 11 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #8

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

I asked about this car a few days ago here (see thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ST&f=2&t=12861)

I would love to have it. I think it would be a blast to drive and show. Just can't seem to get the wife to agree that we (I) need it. Plus all the hassel of trying to import it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Rick_Eberle
post Jun 11 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,558

QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Jun 11 2004, 04:27 PM)
 I know in Australia, where they drive on the other side from here, there are fairly strict laws about bringing in a car to the country and converting it.  What i have heard is you pretty much must convert the car to RHD in order to get it approved for use, hence Australians that want to import classic cars from the USA usually end up converting them.

Not anymore... In Victoria and New South Wales (don't know about the rest) if the car is over 30 years old, it can be registered LHD. I does need to have a right-side mirror, RHD headlights and meet all the other roadworthy requirements and Australian Design Rules for the year it was built.

I'm thinking of keeping mine LHD... to begin with at least.

Cheers,
Rick
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 11 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #10

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

What are RHD headlights?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 11 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #11

rich herzog

QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 11 2004, 09:54 AM)
What are RHD headlights?

think about it ...

headlights in LHD countries have a sharp vertical beam pattern cutoff to the lowbeam on the left side, and the right side of the pattern flares up.
RHD headlights have the cutoff pattern on the right.
+Quote Post
richardL
post Jun 11 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 201

Apparently to do a RHD conversion they switch to a slightly smaller gas tank and you also end with less driver legroom, so its more cramped for the taller of us.

When driving a RHD drive car in France etc. it was a requirement to tape over part of the headlight lens to avoid dazzle as the beam went in the 'wrong' direction straight at drivers coming the other way.

Richard
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gregsy
post Jun 12 2004, 08:40 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,429

Hi all,

The 914 Crayford special on ebay is mine, the information about the Crayfords came from a UK Crayford owner who has all of the invoices from Crayford for the conversions, to his and Crayfords knowledge and according to their records there were only ever 11 made, 9 were for the UK market and 2 were shipped overseas. The cost of the conversion was getting on for a third of the purchase price if I remember right.

There was an article written quoting numbers in the region of 25 but this I believe was a promotional magazine article written at the time of production and the numbers are not accurate but more of a promotional boosted figure.

Crayford were a well respected UK conversion company, who used to modify new cars for main dealers, know mainly for their high quality conversions to uk ford models to cabriolet also offered by ford main dealers, but on this occasion they turned their hand to the 914 and produced the only high quality RHD conversion of the time in conjunction with Malaya a UK Porsche Main dealer.

Its as close as your going to get to an official RHD car.

I hope this clears up any questions.

Ive decided to keep the car anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) so I'll try to keep you guy s up to speed with its progress

Greg
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 12 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #14

rich herzog

QUOTE(gregsy @ Jun 12 2004, 06:40 AM)
The 914 Crayford special on ebay is mine
I hope this clears up any questions.

cool deal. thanks, and welcome !

i understand al too well about those 'long-term' restorations.
mine's been parked since about 1980...
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 12 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #15

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Welcome to the club Greg, you've come to the right place!
+Quote Post
gregsy
post Jun 12 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,429

Thanks Guys,

It hurt every time I checked how the auction was progressing. She's little more than a wreck, but even so, I'm very attached to my first teener.

Ive just finished a 911 SC restoration and the thought of going through it all again was very intimidating, so I had a momentary lapse of reason and put her on ebay.

But one day............................ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Greg
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 12 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Welcome Greg!

Glad you decided to keep it...well maybe someday we will be privileged to see one here in the USA.

We would love to see photos of the cars details if you are willing to post them. All the special details of how the RHD conversion went in particular. Pedal box, e-brake, dash, steering column...

Thanks in advance!

Please feel welcome to hang out on this BBS....we really are a fun place and there are lots of technical resources to help with your restoration here. Just ask. If the answer is not here to your 914 questions, it does not exist. We have 914 owner-members from throughout the world, this is not just a USA place.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:06 PM