Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sideshift or not to side shift, side shift conversion
morph
post Jun 11 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #1

quality parts builder

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i have taken in several complete side shift 914s(2/74s;1/75),so im pretty shure i have everything for a conversion for a 71 i have.is the conversion to a side shift a bolt up with everything from later cars ?i was also told by a 911 friend to put in all new bushings since i was gonna be down there changing everything.and any recomendations on a short shift kit? well i guess my question is,is a later car gonna have everthing there for the change?what bushings to replace or inspect for smooth shifting?and what short shift kit is a good one?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jun 11 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 366

i believe there is a difference in the firewall between the two style tranny cars, that i think requires a converesion bushing or something like that, pretty cheap i think (My memory is pretty rusty here, so someone else please speak up)

I have had several tail shift cars, and frankly never thought they were all that bad (and i drove several side shifter to compare with) One thing for sure is on each of my tail shifters, i replaced all the bushings, and the thing shifted great! So maybe if you do not like the tail shifter, just replace all the bushings. I would go this route for sure if i was unsure of the running condition of the transplant tranny. If the side shifters you have are known good, then you might want to go for the conversion

lotso luck

dave
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 11 2004, 06:57 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

james, you need in addition to the rods. the shifter (get the 2 bushings that cradle the ball on the handle), the brackets on the engine that connect to the engine support bar, 2 new inner engine mounts, the solid outboard mounts, and the mentioned conversion bushing at the firewall. while the trans is split from the engine you might want to consider new throwout bearing clips, a new ball stud cup, a bushing for the rod support bracket. consider new mounts for the transmission and change the gear lube. if it looks like the input shaft has been leaking do that seal too.

kevin
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 11 2004, 09:15 AM
Post #4

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 11 2004, 07:57 AM)
james, you need in addition to the rods. the shifter (get the 2 bushings that cradle the ball on the handle), the brackets on the engine that connect to the engine support bar, 2 new inner engine mounts, the solid outboard mounts, and the mentioned conversion bushing at the firewall. while the trans is split from the engine you might want to consider new throwout bearing clips, a new ball stud cup, a bushing for the rod support bracket. consider new mounts for the transmission and change the gear lube. if it looks like the input shaft has been leaking do that seal too.

kevin

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I just did this conversion on my '72... actually I'm still doing it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I did the whole ~20pc clutch kit that Pelican sells... all new bushings everywhere, including the conversion one... I wish I would have splurged for the new tranny mounts(solid,911 sport style) though
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 11 2004, 09:45 AM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

1. Side shift shifter assy ( the stick the driver plays with )
2. Front bar from side shifter
3. Conversion firewall bushing from PP or ?
4. Late engine bar
5. Late engine mounts (steel mounts on motor)
6. Late rubber engine mounts (bar to engine)
7. Late solid engine bar/body mounts (ends off a late car)
8. Rear bar from side shifter w/ ujoint (hopefully has cover with it)
9. rear bar bushing
10. Side shifter cover (rear)

Any other bushings/mounts you want to change

My $1.00s worth
+Quote Post
blabla914
post Jun 11 2004, 09:50 AM
Post #6

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740

Perhaps this isn't a problem on all cars, but when I converted my car to side shift I found the early heater lever interfered with the shift linkage when I tried to shift ot 4th and 5th. Maybe it was when I tried to shift to 1st and reverse? I'm pretty sure it was 4th and 5th. Whatever. The later heater levers have the bolt to hold the lever to the bracket reversed. This puts the nut and protruding bolt threads towards the tunnel instead of towards the shift mechanism. Bottom line, get the '73 up heater lever too.

Performance products has a center bushing with the right OD to fit the early chassis. If you are cheap you can use a 73' up center bushing and wrap the groove between the flanges with electrical tape. Worked for years in my car.

Finally if anyone has a cheap and simple way to make a nice shift boot as the linkage exits the body for a '72 and earlier chassis with a side shift I'm listening.

Kelly

Kelly
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 11 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #7

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

Personally, I've never quite understood this whole process.

I've had 2 1972 914s. Both dual carbs. The first, a 1.7, currently, a 2.0. The first had a side shifter, currently, a tailshifter.

I don't know what had been done (or not done) to either of them.... whether or not the bushings were new or old, or whether or not they had shifter kits installed, as I didn't build either of them, and they are the only 2 914s I've ever driven.

Perhaps I'm just lucky.... but I've never had a single problem with either of them, nor would I even be able to tell the difference in the way either of them shifts..

Perhaps I've just been lucky... but when people mention side shift conversions... I can't help but ask "Why?".
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 11 2004, 10:33 AM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Short shifter--only one choice as far as I can tell.

Rennshift. http://www.jwesteng.com

--DD
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jun 11 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 366

If you need a new shift fire wall boot for early cars, and cannot find one (have you asked brad roberts???, other suppliers???) you might have some luck with finding a suitable rack and pinion steering boot from a car at a wrecker. What you need is a bellows rubber that is wide on one end, to fit around the plastic cover opening, and the other end small to fit around the shift rod. If using a rack and pinion boot, you may need to cut it down, as they are usaly at least half a foot long.

good luck

PS mine has been missing for years, no problem, but I imagine road dirt will wear the plastic bushings faster. ecspesally if you have a leaky engine, that gets the shift rod oily, which in turn will pick up dirt.
+Quote Post
morph
post Jun 11 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #10

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

well i guess all i need it the fire wall bushing thats made for this conversion. i all ready bought new seals for the tranny.and i got new motor mounts too.i have the shifter and rod from the 74 cleaned and ready to go.i am also curious why,do people do the conversion .ive heard the side shift shifts better.
is it worth the trouble ?
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Jun 11 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #11

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Member No.: 288

I used an old CV joint cover and it worked prety well.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 08:17 AM