Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Valve Adjustment Made Easy, It is a joke ...
pat4
post Jun 11 2004, 01:27 AM
Post #1

Philippe

Group: Members
Member No.: 570

Going to adjust valves on my 2.0 engine, went to Tech Tips on PP site ... and this article is a joke.

It explains how to rotate the engine, how to find TDC, loosening Retaining Nut, tightening Retaining Nut, etc ... classical things.

... but with the engine pulled of the car !!!!

Question: With engine in the car, with the exhausts lines, adjustment nuts seems approximatively unreachable. How do you proceed to access adjustment nuts ? Any advice welcome !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jun 11 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You can get to them, you just have to use all available space and reach around the heat exchangers. Get under the car and try it. The hardest part is getting the valve covers off, I use a big screwdriver and pry the big retaining clamp off.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jun 11 2004, 02:23 AM
Post #3

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Just did mine two days ago, in fact the ramp and jackstand are still holding it up (some other items that I noticed needed attention...but when isn't there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) Came in from the front of the engine with a BFS and popped the valve covers. I think the hardest part in my case was getting the car that high in the air with my POS $24 Walmart floor jack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 11 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The engine is out of the car because the pictures wouldn't show anything at all if we tried to take them while it was in the car....

I find that I can reach into the rocker box area from the side for about half of the valves. Which ones depends on if it's the left or right side of the motor. The rest, I get to from behind the engine. That is, assuming the right side of the motor, I reach up and lay my left forearm on the heat exchanger. Then I can reach from there and get to the valves that are unreachable from directly outboard.

Just try different angles to get to the valves. Peoples' hands and arms are different sizes, so different angles may work for you than for me.

--DD
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 11 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

you can do it with the engine in the car ...

all you need is tiny hands and a short & stubby screwdriver.
a good light source helps too.
take the wheels off!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jun 11 2004, 11:07 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 366

It is doable, when you jack up the car, put one rear wheel on a block to prevent it from turning, (no block? then just leave one side on the ground at a time) then use the opposite side wheel to turn the motor over (in gear) to get to the correct top dead centers.

After that, wiggle and sqirm, try different sized wrenches, and drivers. unless you have hulk hoggan sized arms, you should be able to pull it off. I hated the first several times I did it, but eventually got used to it, and now know what tools, arm positions work best for me. Different valves require different body postions, and angles to reach.

do not worry, anything is possibel!

good luck

dave
+Quote Post
maxwelj
post Jun 11 2004, 01:32 PM
Post #7

rebuilt member

Member No.: 1,532
Region Association: None

You haven't lived 'til you do it on a 6.....(adjust the valves that is..) top and bottom. Loads of fun....
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 11 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #8

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I dont have to do that anymore on mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) But when I did, I got tired of dropping the short stubby screwdriver and just started using a dime. Yes, 10 cent piece works great. Break the nuts loose with your wrench and then use a coin to get it where you want it and tighten the nut back up holding the screw with the coin. Recheck it afterwards and put it all back together and drive. Piece of cake. Oh, and to remove the bail? I pry it off from one side with a large screwdriver and take it all the way off. Takes about 1 second on each side.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Jun 11 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 538

QUOTE(maxwelj @ Jun 11 2004, 11:32 AM)
You haven't lived 'til you do it on a 6.....(adjust the valves that is..) top and bottom. Loads of fun....

You think that's tough.....you should try doing them on a rotary engine sometime. They're a real bitch to find........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jun 11 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #10

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

A good set of ratcheting box end wrenches helps a great deal.

--Royce
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jun 11 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #11

2270 club

Member No.: 218

I used the Pelican article the first time I did my valves. It took maybe 45 minutes with being ultra carefull and doulble and triple checking everything. Now I can do it in 15 minutes. Like people said, the hardest part is getting the valve covers off.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 12:02 AM