Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installed my v8! Now hooking up all the odds & ends, Made some more progress today
JRust
post Jun 10 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well my v8 conversion has been sitting since september of 2009. I had the passenger side suspension ear cracked & ready to completely detatch. Luckily I caught it before that happened. So I jacked it up & pulled the drivetrain to fix. Like 2 weeks after I got my LE back from paint. V8 got put on hold for multiple reasons. Well thanks to my Buddy Ian who came & welded in my new ear. Plus the CFR reinforcement plate & ear to firewall bar.

I rebuilt my tranny at the PNW clinic last month. I'll be getting it bolted to the motor in the morning. Then the motor get's put back in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . Hopefully I still have all the little pieces handy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Really should be pretty straight forward. Although I do need to add a brace by the master cylinder. There has to be a little to much flex when I push on the clutch/brake. I keep pulling my lines out of the top of my master cylinder. Just enough that I get a leak. Once I put it back in it is fine for a few weeks. Then does it again. So I am going to add a brace there so I won't have that flex. If anyone has a pic of doing this I'd love to see it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Jun 10 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,090

Jamie,
I wish you the best, you have always showed up at the WCR's since 2008 and have been hosed. You will prevail this year with an awsome car and be the shinning star !!!! See you in 2 weeks.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 10 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jun 10 2011, 10:45 PM) *

Jamie,
I wish you the best, you have always showed up at the WCR's since 2008 and have been hosed. You will prevail this year with an awsome car and be the shinning star !!!! See you in 2 weeks.

LOL! Hosed is funny as my cooling issues then. Although it was more radiator than hose I guess. Actually WCR 2009 in Lancaster I made it through the whole weekend with no problems. Car was runnng great all summer. It was that damn suspension ear that got me. Such is the life of a 914 owner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
IM101
post Jun 11 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,367

Looking forward to the morning! Lets get that motor in!!
+Quote Post
mstein95
post Jun 11 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #5

Back when grey Levi's were the rage.

Member No.: 5,959

wish I could have stayed longer and helped more.....

Ian grinding off 3 years of dust:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
IM101
post Jun 11 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,367

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
just stopping to get fuel on the way home from Jamie's.... the motor is in!!! Thanks Morgan for the help u came at the perfect time AND thanks for my taking me on my first ride in a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
I'm sure Jamie will follow up with some pictures... and some annoying mice news... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 11 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Yeah so it was a productive day. We got the tranny bolted to the motor. Morgan showed up right about then & helped us get it in place. I used Renegade's tranny adapter mounts. It moves the drivetrain back 1 & 1/2 inches. By doing that we needed to change my motor mounts. Ian brought some tubing & measured everything with it where it needed to sit. Then cut & welded my new mount.
While he was doing that I started pulling some interior stuff. Mainly my cap behind the back pad. The downside of the Buick 215 v8 is it is very deep. The water pump comes way into the cab. Suprising how even that inch & a half made a big difference. I also needed a new accelerator cable. Forgot about that but luckily Morgan had a spare in his car (Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) ) what a good 914 owner. He carries spares of everything (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) . I'll get your replacement this week dude.
We stopped for my pizza for lunch. Morgan took Ian for a ride in his 914. Then Morgan had to head out. Thanks again for the help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Then it was back to welding the motor mount. Had it tacked in place. Pulled it out to finish welding it. Kind of a pain to get it in the engine bay. Really turned out great.
Threw some primer on it. One more piece to weld. Almost forgot I needed my shift rod extended an inch & a half too. So we did that while the primer dried. The bolted up the motor mount which fit perfectly. Ian had to head home then. I got the driver side cv hooked up. Then bolted up the passenger side trailing arm. After that I called it a night. It was a great 914 work day but I am wiped.

Oh yeah I can't forget what Ian was nice enough to notice. @#%^%& mice got to wires in by the gas tank. Quite a few chewed through. Luckily there is a fair amount of slack there. I should be able to cut & patch each wire one at a time. Yipee (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Huge thanks to both Morgan & Ian for their help today. You guys rock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rohar
post Jun 11 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,685
Region Association: None

Wow man, great progress for a single day. Sorry to hear about the mice. Had a similar problem this winter.

Once I sell this house, I'll have my foundry back and I promise my first project is a tranny adapter to mate the Buick v8 to the audi 01#/boxster tranny. Only thing I can think that would improve your build.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 11 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

For those who have had this issue with mice & wires. What is the best way to fix. Just cut out the bad section if there is enough wire & reconnect. If so do you uuse butt end connectors or sauter & the shrink platic stuff to cover?
+Quote Post
rohar
post Jun 11 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 9,685
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 11 2011, 10:08 PM) *

For those who have had this issue with mice & wires. What is the best way to fix. Just cut out the bad section if there is enough wire & reconnect. If so do you uuse butt end connectors or sauter & the shrink platic stuff to cover?

I like to solder and shrink wrap. May as well do it right. If you're too lazy for that, use marine splices. They keep the oxidization out. Available at your local boat shop.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 12 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Heading back out to hook up more stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 12 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Damn I hate when I can't find stuff. One problem after having your car on stands so long. Reinstalled the passenger side trailing arm & hooking everything up. Missing the small SS brake line that runs from the the trailing arm up to the body. I have a car I could swipe it off of if I get desperate. I just know it is in an old ice cream tub I keep just for throwing parts in. I actually put all the pieces in the one tub & marked it. I just can't find that damn tub (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . Didn't help that I had a move mixed in there. Moving shop to shop didn't help my allready lacking organizational skills (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Jun 12 2011, 05:09 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,341

Congrats on the progress Jamie and a pox on the mice that chewed your wires up (solder em, you'll never have to wonder). And kudos to Ian and Morgan for the helping hands.

That 215 looks right at home in there and with that bumpout into the cockpit you have the extra advantage of being able to do a tuneup as you drive. Make sure we get some video of the first start. Those engines sound sooooo sweet.

Tom
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 16 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Pulled my oil pan off tonight as it was leaking a bit. I've got the new cork one to put back on. Should I use a little RTV gasket along with it?

I also have a few wires in my engine bay I am not so sure about. I did get my radiator lines all hooked up. I plan to fire it up saturday by lunch. I'm missing my ebrake post/sleve hook up deals. I hate my ebrake though so I think I'll just zip tie them up. Stinking early ebrake setup with the hinge. Forget it's on most the time the way it just sits back down after setting. I'll change it later to the late handle.

I can't wait to actually put the rear wheels back on & have it on all fours again. It hasn't been on 4 wheels in 20 months (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Well that & a good wash. Talk about filthy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) . I'll wait until it's actually running & driving to get to excited though. It should be saturday without to much trouble. Still knowing my luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
shulew 3
post Jun 17 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #15

desert toy

Member No.: 11,902
Region Association: Southern California

Jamie,

Was nice meeting. Can't believe you've gotten all that done since I stopped Tuesday! Are you still going to WCR on Thursday? If so what time are you leaving?

I might decide to forsake golf at Salem and caravan with you if that's okay?

Lew
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jun 17 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #16

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 16 2011, 10:30 PM) *

Pulled my oil pan off tonight as it was leaking a bit. I've got the new cork one to put back on. Should I use a little RTV gasket along with it?

For engines that use a cork or rubber gasket, I always like to "glue" the gasket to the pan using RTV so that it stays in place when reinstalling the pan to the engine block. I avoid RTV on the engine block side of the gasket, though, since it is a bitch to remove. I have used a light coating of plain old grease on the engine block side of the gasket to ensure it moves around without tearing as I'm tightening it. That method also works well with water pumps, too. YMMV.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 17 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

QUOTE(strawman @ Jun 17 2011, 09:21 AM) *

For engines that use a cork or rubber gasket, I always like to "glue" the gasket to the pan using RTV so that it stays in place when reinstalling the pan to the engine block. I avoid RTV on the engine block side of the gasket, though, since it is a bitch to remove. I have used a light coating of plain old grease on the engine block side of the gasket to ensure it moves around without tearing as I'm tightening it. That method also works well with water pumps, too. YMMV.

Makes sense! Thanks for the tip as I'll be putting it back on tonight. I plan to fire it up tommorow. So getting that set tonight & oil back in is one less thing I have to screw with in the morning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 17 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

QUOTE(shulew 3 @ Jun 17 2011, 08:59 AM) *

Was nice meeting. Can't believe you've gotten all that done since I stopped Tuesday! Are you still going to WCR on Thursday? If so what time are you leaving?
I might decide to forsake golf at Salem and caravan with you if that's okay?
Lew

I'm not sure on the time we will leave thursday. Hopefully somewhere around 10 or so. Let's touch base earlier in the week. I am working monday but off the rest of the week. So I'll be spending time hopefully getting all the registration crap set & last minute WCR stuff. We are basically set but there are always a few things that come up last minute (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Jun 17 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #19

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 10 2011, 10:34 PM) *

Well my v8 conversion has been sitting since september of 2009. I had the passenger side suspension ear cracked & ready to completely detatch. Luckily I caught it before that happened. So I jacked it up & pulled the drivetrain to fix. Like 2 weeks after I got my LE back from paint. V8 got put on hold for multiple reasons. Well thanks to my Buddy Ian who came & welded in my new ear. Plus the CFR reinforcement plate & ear to firewall bar.

I rebuilt my tranny at the PNW clinic last month. I'll be getting it bolted to the motor in the morning. Then the motor get's put back in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . Hopefully I still have all the little pieces handy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Really should be pretty straight forward. Although I do need to add a brace by the master cylinder. There has to be a little to much flex when I push on the clutch/brake. I keep pulling my lines out of the top of my master cylinder. Just enough that I get a leak. Once I put it back in it is fine for a few weeks. Then does it again. So I am going to add a brace there so I won't have that flex. If anyone has a pic of doing this I'd love to see it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Hey JRust,

Glad to hear you're finishing up your V8 project. I'd be interested in seeing photos of you engine bay as I didn't think there was enough room around the V8 for the firewall bracing tube.

In my V8 car, I've gone all hydraulic masters, including the clutch and experienced the same belly pan flexing problem. My fix was installing a 3/16" sheet as a base for the master cylinders. Problem cured!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 17 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

QUOTE(stewteral @ Jun 17 2011, 10:47 AM) *

Glad to hear you're finishing up your V8 project. I'd be interested in seeing photos of you engine bay as I didn't think there was enough room around the V8 for the firewall bracing tube.

Here are a few of the tubing. It really runs straigt forward to the wall from the ear. So mine don't really intrude with the motor at all.

On wires I could use some insight. I have a few I am unsure of. I have 2 solid red wires that run along with a solid yellow which goes to the alternator. I didn't think they connected to the alternator too. They are a little longer than yellow. I don't think they go up to the positive on the battery either. Pics are below.

I also have 3 wires up by my coil. I think it is bypassed with other wires there. I don't see any place it would plug into. Shooting myself for not taking pictures before I took it out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . I had marked the ones I though I might have trouble with. Apparantly not well enough as there is no tape sayign what went where (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:30 AM