Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1955 Le Mans, 77 Killed
peridotian
post Jun 11 2004, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

I just bought a September 1955 Road and track which detailed the fiery crash that killed 77 people due to a flaming magnesium body Mercedes raining fiery death upon spectators. Here is the cover:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
peridotian
post Jun 11 2004, 03:09 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

porsche ad from same mag

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
peridotian
post Jun 11 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

the full story

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 11 2004, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

All kinds of speculation since on exactly why Levegh's car hit the stands. The car (M-B 300SLR) was equipped with an air brake, which rose behind the driver. This moved the center of pressure back substantially and made the car directionally unstable, and reduced download on the front tires so the wheel brakes weren't as effective, either. The car still had giant drum brakes on it.

Some speculate the air brake was involved, but others insisted that it had been disabled after the stability problems showed up in practice. Others claim Levegh simply passed out for unspecified reasons. There is film of this crash, and it's a horrible sight, the engine breaking loose and cutting a swath through the crowd.

Mercedes ran just a few more events that year. This was also the year they were handily leading the F1 championship, with Fangio and Moss as the drivers, arguably the strongest driver pairing ever for any team at any time (Fangio took the title, Moss was third). The team withdrew from racing completely at the end of the season, and didn't return in any capacity until the late 80s, when Peter Sauber ran a sports car team with M-B engines, initially under the table but later officially. The "junior" team car had a number of familiar names behind the wheel, including some German kid named Michael Schumacher.

I'm such a geek. I wrote all that off the top of my head, just using trivia I seem to be inordinately capable of storing in my head at all times...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
peridotian
post Jun 11 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Anyone interested in 50's sports cars and racing should buy and read IMMEDIATELY BS Levy's "The Last Open Road".
+Quote Post
scotty
post Jun 11 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #6

The Fun Never Stops

Group: Members
Member No.: 718
Region Association: None

Timely purchase! I had no idea...
(IMG:http://members.aol.com/healeypics/picture1.jpg)
Here's a link to a story about the wreck.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Quite horrific...those spectators were quite close and on the outside of the turn.
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Jun 12 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #7

914 addicted

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,246

"Racing's Darkest Day!" 86 killed, 76 maimed. Interesting that the R&T article only mentiones 77 dead. Those pictures are HORRIFIC.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 12:57 PM