Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weird ignition problem?
RustyWa
post Jun 13 2004, 01:46 PM
Post #1

Working Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 72

I was attempting to set the idle RPM on my D-jet car. I've got a SunPro analog engine analyzer which uses an inductive pickup for the RPM setting.

Anyway, I attach the two leads on the analyzer to the negative (-) on the coil and the other to the negative (-) on the battery. If I attach the inductive pickup to either the #3/#4 spark plug wires, the idle is somewhat steady at +/- 50 RPMs.

If I hook up the pickup to either the #1/#2 spark plug wires, I get the same +/- 50 RPM variances. But then I also get a pretty steady, say once every 3-5 secs., spike on the meter. It'll jump about 1000 RPMs.

Any ideas? Ignition miss? Why does it only happen on the #1/#2 side?

I am running new plugs, plug wires, coil, Pertronix, rebuilt dizzy, FI harness, etc...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Jun 13 2004, 02:00 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 391

I guess to say it is a spark jump from one wire to aother possibly. After it gets dark tonight, start the engine and after it warms up look at it running with a little light possible. It might show a blue glow where wires are leaking. It could also be some sort of feedback into the inductive pickup and the Pertronix unit causing the spikes. Good luck
+Quote Post
RustyWa
post Jun 13 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Working Member

Member No.: 72

Good idea. I'll give that a try.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:10 PM