Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's alive but water pump has a bad seal & leaks, If I can find one in stock I have a chance tommorow
JRust
post Jun 18 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay so I have 3 wires not hooked up I am not sure about. One is a white wire, One green with red strip & one solid red coming off the coil side of things. I get nothing when I turn the key to start. No click or anything from the starter. I tried using a screwdriver to jumpr the starter. I only get sparks & nothing else from the starter. I am so damn close but I am missing something I bet is simple.

With this being a conversion the wiring is a screwy thing anyway. I appreciatte any things I can try (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Oh yeah this is for my buick 215 v8
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 18 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

There are two big red wires that usually connect to the battery. On a stock 914 you would see 4 red wires connected to the battery. Two of those go to the alternator, the other two to the dash. One runs to the ignition and the other to the fuse panel. In some installs the two big reds get hooked to the alternator. You would then need a wire from the alternator to the battery. You are missing one of these links. I think. I'm not sure how yours is wired. It looks like you still have a relay board.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 18 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

If jumpering the starter doesn't work, the starter is dead, most likely.

The white wire is for the AAR, make sure that one is taped off well.
The green/red wire is for the 'idiot light' or, more technically, oil pressure switch light.
The red wire... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 18 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Is there a way to test a starter on the bench?
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jun 18 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #5

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

Yup, send juice to it and see if it engages.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 18 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Jumper cables. Connect the + to the 8mm stud where the battery cable goes. Hook the - to the case of the starter. Then jumper the + to the spade terminal. Shoot a pic and I'll annotate it if I didn't explain that well.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 18 2011, 09:45 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

No that makes perfect sense. Was just missing a step with the test part on one out of the car. I did get a try & some smoke out of my starter on the car. IT did not turn the motor over.

I am afraid my motor is locked up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Just from sitting. I put some Sea foam down the plug holes. Letting it sit & going to try to break things loose tommorow. Guess my luck working on 914's is holding out huh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 18 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

jamie, if the engine was locked up you'd still hear the selonoid engaging. one large red wire from the battery and one smaller red to the post on the starter. yellow to the spade connector next to the stud. is the plug with green, brown and red wires plugged into the relay board in the engine compartment?

k
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 18 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Yeah I hooked up to the 2 thicker red wires to the positive battery terminal. Starter still doesn't work with the key. With the key on & jumping the terminal the selonoid did come on but them smoke. Starter definately isn't turning the motor. Tried to move the car in gear to break it free but no luck. Going to work on it a little more tommorow. See if I can get it to break loose. I put some see foam in each spark plug hole. Letting it soak tonight. I'll put some more in tommorow before church. When I get back I will try to get it to break free. This motor was running great when I put it on the stand. It had oil in it too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Such is life
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 19 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

What do you guys recommend is the best way to break it free. Just jack up one side of the car & get one wheel to twist with a little breaker bar help?

Or hook it behind my rig with the flat tow kit & drop the clutch while moving?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 19 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Good luck... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) locked engines are sucky. Do you have the spark plugs out? Just to make sure it's not hydrolocked. There is no shortage of dumb/crazy ideas to free it up. Besides the ol' tow-n-clutch-dump, there is the spray starting fluid in whichever cylinder has the valves closed, then install a spark plug and fire it off.

Not saying it's a good idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 19 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #12

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

pull the plugs and turn it over with a flywheel tool. it shouldn't have "rusted" it's an aluminum block..... does it iron liners?
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 19 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

I just had a thought. Amazing in itself i know. I have not taken this starter off yet. Maybe this starter is what is completely locked up. Im going to pull it this afternoon. Im hoping it will just be that starter. Its kind of a pain to get off with the adapter plate
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Jun 19 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 19 2011, 02:04 PM) *

I just had a thought. Amazing in itself i know. I have not taken this starter off yet. Maybe this starter is what is completely locked up. Im going to pull it this afternoon. Im hoping it will just be that starter. Its kind of a pain to get off with the adapter plate

Probably not your problem. For the starter gear to behave as a flywheel "lock" would mean both the solenoid and the overrun clutch are out of place and locked. More likely the starter itself is bad. A def. solenoid can actuate the gear ("click") but not engergize the starter motor. Should pull the starter anyway. You can test both theories. Good luck!
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 19 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #15

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *

it could be. pull it apart, starters are pretty simple, i've had to tear them apart on the trail, in the mud, in a hole, in the cold, soaking wet......

might be as easy as disassemble and freshen the brushes and lube the bushings and clean and lube the bendix.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 19 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #16

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Get a big breaker bar on that crank and break it loose! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) Strange that your engine would lock up just from sitting. You sure it diddn't drop during your move? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 19 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #17

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

Jamie,
Since you just rebuilt the transmission is it possible something is binding, totally unrelated to the engine itself when you put it back together?
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 19 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #18

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 19 2011, 07:03 PM) *

Jamie,
Since you just rebuilt the transmission is it possible something is binding, totally unrelated to the engine itself when you put it back together?

absolutely maybe!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 19 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 19 2011, 07:03 PM) *

Jamie,

No that is totally impossible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Like I could screw that up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Okay anything is possible. I am really leaning towards that starter being toast. Not only would explain all the problems I had with it. It is also very fixable. I didn't get to it today. Just enjoyed being a dad & letting the wife & kids wait on me all day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I even took a nap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) . Pitiful I know & I won't get to do much with it tommorow because of work. I am off the rest of the week & will get to it first thing tuesday morning. Just be a bit of a pain to get the starter off. The nut on top has the ribs on the starter to hold it in place. That is no big deal on a normal motor as you get to the bolt. On my motor that bolt head is on the adapter plate & hidden. Anyone have a trick for getting the nut to come off? Probably just have to pull the tranny with adapter plate to do it. Just means unbolting the rest of the stuff involved (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Oh well maybe the sucker will start with a new starter in place? I will make sure to test one on the bench before putting it in though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Jun 19 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 19 2011, 07:28 PM) *
... Just be a bit of a pain to get the starter off. The nut on top has the ribs on the starter to hold it in place. That is no big deal on a normal motor as you get to the bolt. On my motor that bolt head is on the adapter plate & hidden. Anyone have a trick for getting the nut to come off? Probably just have to pull the tranny with adapter plate to do it. Just means unbolting the rest of the stuff involved (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Oh well maybe the sucker will start with a new starter in place? I will make sure to test one on the bench before putting it in though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

If the bolt is still metric (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I would put a head-nut back on, once you get it apart. 15mmATF vs 17mmATF with the same thread, you might have an easier time next time...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 12:38 AM