Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jake, whats up with these plugs
ruddyboys
post Jun 14 2004, 06:50 AM
Post #1

Hummel eigentümer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

Jake, this is the shape of my plugs after about 10 min of idling.
1.7 (now a 2056), dual webers, 009 dizzy (PO), my jets are Main 115, Idle 50 not sure the air, Idle screw is screwed as far in as possible just to keep car idling (still the idle falls off and stalls), reving the engine smoke come out exhaust (new rings over the winter and never had the car on the road). I havent been able to time it, cant get a steady idle. Tried this weekend to take it for a ride and hopefully seat the rings, made it about 200 yards and it stalled (bucked and jerked the whole way). Had to pull plugs and clean them to get car started again, and put it back in the garage. Any ideas?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jun 14 2004, 06:51 AM
Post #2

Hummel eigentümer

Heres another photo of the plug

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 14 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the idle adjust is turned ALL the way in? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) . if that's the case you should be idling at about 3000rpm. start with the air mixture screws at 2 1/2 turns out from being gently seated. close or turn the air by-pass screws out 1/2 turn. what size webers are you running? i think your linkage is the first issue to address. on my webers i don't use the idle adjust screw on the pass side carb. i use the threaded rod to match the flow on the one with the idle screw, then the one idle stop controls both carbs. first, pull the idle jets and make sure they are clear. show a picture of your linkage. buy Thomlinson's weber book from cb preformance and get a unisyn so you can match the flow rates.

kevin
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jun 14 2004, 07:27 AM
Post #4

Hummel eigentümer

Kevin, I have dual 40 IDFs, I have the weber book and tried to do the steps for adusting the carbs. With idle screw at max I am only idling at about 500 and it will die of if you arent playing with the throttle (it doesnt idle to smooth, as you can expect, it will idle for a little while, and either rev up slightly and then down or just sart to die, I think because the plugs get fouled). I have used the unisysc and they all seem to be pulling in the same amount of air. The mixture screw is turned all the way in lightly trying to lean out the mixture and the air mixture screw doesnt seem to make a difference. I rebuilt these carbs a few months ago with a kit I got from someone in Italy on evilbay, They were for the newer weber and I have the older ones (I did buy the older accel pump diafragm and replaced it). I was wondering if the person I bought the webers from didnt ream the jets?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 14 2004, 07:59 AM
Post #5

hows the fuel filter? what type of pump and fuel pressure regulator? the "hunting", up and down idling is weird. if you pull one of the fuel lines do you get good flow? with out a stable idle the unisyn is useless. did you look at the trouble shooting symptoms and proceedures?

kevin
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jun 14 2004, 08:06 AM
Post #6

Hummel eigentümer

Fuel filter is new and I have the rotary fuel pump from CB that has a built in pressure reg. I have plenty of fuel going to the carbs, There also was fuel in the oil, trouble shoot seems to be to rich a mixture, that is why I had to turn the mixture screw in all the way. If this happened to one side of the engine I would assume air leak or something, but to happen the same to the two carbs is strange.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 14 2004, 08:40 AM
Post #7

check procedure #4 in the trouble shooting guide in the cb book. seems to be narrowing down to the float level. did you get the pump with the lower pressure rating?

kevin
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jun 14 2004, 08:49 AM
Post #8

Hummel eigentümer

The pump is for carbs, I did have to sdjust the float on one carb, would overflow. It should be set to the spec from the weber book, should I play around with the level?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 14 2004, 09:01 AM
Post #9

with the fuel pump running and the engine off do you see any puddling on top of the throttle valves/butterflys?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 14 2004, 09:13 AM
Post #10

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Those look like Champion plugs... Please tell me they aren't...
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jun 14 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Is there a certain brand of plug we should be running?
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 14 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #12

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

i use bosch
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 14 2004, 09:48 AM
Post #13

Engine Surgeon

Champions are the worst!

I run Bosch exclusively.
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jun 14 2004, 09:49 AM
Post #14

Hummel eigentümer

Jake sorry to say they are Champion, went to my flaps and bought them before I knew any better. Which plugs are the best?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 14 2004, 10:49 AM
Post #15

Engine Surgeon

Bosch... I could tell they were Champions- thats probably why they are trying to fuel foul already..

I won't even use a Champion in a damn Briggs and Stratton!

They are also notorious for ripping the threads out of spark plug holes.

Two words- They - suck -.
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jun 14 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #16

Hummel eigentümer

Jake from what everyone else says my problem is definatly over load of feul, would the bosch plugs resolve this? What else should I lookm for, I am going to play with the floats sometime this week.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 14 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #17

Engine Surgeon

They fire hotter and may help it a bit..

The engine needs to be tuned at higher speed than idle- it must be driven and then go from there. Most aircooled engines do idle richer than they operate, especially when they are cold-
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 14 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #18

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 14 2004, 08:49 AM)
They are also notorious for ripping the threads out of spark plug holes.

Bosch plugs have rolled threads, Champions don't.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 14 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #19

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

But he can't get it to run long enough to even warm up.

Have you tried replacing the idle jets? If you can screw the idle mixture screws all the way in and not have the car instantly die, the idle jets are WAY too big, or you have fuel leaking around them. Buy a set of 52s from a known source, like aircooled.net. Remove the idle jets and blow out the holes they sit in with air before installing the new jets. Make sure all of the jets in the carb are present and properly seated.

Do you see any fuel coming out of the accelerator pump nozzles (in the carb throats) while the engine is idling? Does any come out when you blip the throttles? None should come out unless you open the throttles. If some is dribbling out all the time, there's the source of your extra fuel at idle.

The low idle can also be ignition mis-timing, probably way too retarded. Since you've said you've not been able to time it, I'd say this is likely. Try advancing the ignition (turn the distributor clockwise) a bit and see if that speeds up the idle. If you can keep it running long enough, turn the distributor clockwise slowly until the idle is at max speed, then readjust the throttle stop screws.

You can statically time the ignition w/o the engine running, as well. Set the engine to TDC on cylinder 1 (see the various tech articles on how to do this), set the distributor so the rotor is pointing exactly at the mark. That's 0 degrees advance. Now, turn the distributor a bit clockwise, trying to get about 5 degrees at the distributor. That's 10 degrees BTDC ignition timing, which is about right. You can adjust it again once you can get it to idle, but that should be enough to get you in the ballpark, and eliminate timing as the problem. You might also replace the points and condensor if you haven't recently. They're cheap, and can cause idling problems if they're going bad.
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jun 14 2004, 01:01 PM
Post #20

Hummel eigentümer

I was going to pick up an jet plug guage to check all the jets to see if they have not been reamed. I havent checked if fuel is going in the throats at idle (If the car stalls I notice fuel pouring onto the closed butterflys on one carb. Because this engine has been worked by the PO there was no timing marks on the impeller and the dizzy drive was way off the TDC mark, I had to go by the mark on the flywheel but couldn't be certin this was right. PO put in the 70 1.7 on the 74 side shift. I tried doing the timing by ear, keep turning one way then the other to get the idle right. Points, condenser, rotor and cap have been replace on the 009 dizzy.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:25 PM