Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jake, whats up with these plugs
lapuwali
post Jun 14 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #21

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The idle jet holes are VERY small, and I don't know of any spec that tells you how big the hole is supposed to be for, say, a 50 idle. If this tool you're thinking of costs more than $20, buy the jets instead. Then you'll KNOW the jets are the right size. Personally, I don't think this is your problem, based on the other things you're saying. I'd leave the jets alone for now.

If you've done the timing entirely by ear, it's possible its 180d out. The engine will run in this configuration, it just won't run well. Idle will be rough and hard to control, and you'll have no power. You can get TDC on cylinder 1 with certainty by just pulling the plugs and the valve covers. When both rockers are loose and the No.1 piston is at TDC (easy to tell with a plug out, using something like a long zip tie poked into the hole), then that's TDC on the compression stroke for No. 1, which is near where the plug should fire. You need to be CERTAIN the timing is close to correct before you spend any more time futzing with the carbs. Like Jake has said elsewhere: most carb problems are actually timing problems. If you can't get it to idle at all by fooling with the carb, I think you're looking in the wrong place.

If fuel is pouring into ONE of the throats with the engine off (but the pump is on), then I'd say you still have a leak in that throat, and that leak is 90% certain to be in the accelerator pump circuit. If it's BOTH throats on one carb, you have a stuck needle valve, a bad float, or a misadjustment of the float, still.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:50 PM