Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nader's Nightmare...and mine too build thread, 4/6/14 Update.
914coop
post Jun 20 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,514
Region Association: Northstar Region

Well after over two months it has finally arrived. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Guessing a lot of you are already familiar with this car. Previous threads are 914-6 Carrma and WOW, my "solid" car aint so solid, but now it is solid!, It is off jack stands!!!.

I bought this car for two reasons.

First, back on moaners day 2010 my 76' was rear ended. Got a rear clip for it and was going to have Area 51 Werks straiten it out and put on my AA steel flares. This car handled most of that need. (flares will still need to be done)

Second, I was planning on doing the five lug conversion. Had the parts to convert the 914 suspension to a five lug. (Modified 914-4 parts) This car was a huge upgrade as T.C. had converted it to a 911 setup both front and rear.

Those of you who know me already know this is a car for my son Dan, as I am legally blind and for some reason the stare of Minnesota would rather I not operate a vehicle on the roads..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

After some thought and checking Dan's finances (Porsche Purists Skip this paragraph) We have decided to put a 1966 Corvair 180 turbo in it. This engine will be modified slightly. Heads will have stainless valves and angled exhaust ports. Cam has been custom made by Cower Cams for more torque in the mid range and high end. Just waiting on the rebuild kit from Corvair Underground. We also will be changing the draw through Turbo to a dual carb blow through system. We have asked Steve Goodman (Corvair Guru) for advice as we started down this path.

Set a goal to have it road worthy by the RRC this fall.

Here are some pictures, sorry my son took the pictures and can not seem to center the subject.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1308630203.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1308630203.2.jpg)

Still searching for a name, suggestions welcome.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 21 2011, 05:00 AM
Post #2

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Irv, since it's getting a Corvair engine, I'm thinking of a Nickname like Nader's Nightmare (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

T.C.
+Quote Post
kevin311
post Jun 21 2011, 07:18 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,752
Region Association: None

Congrats on the car. I went to look at it and it was the cleanest shell i have ever seen. I just didn't have the time or money to do with it what it deserves.
Being blind never stopped any Florida drivers, maybe you should just move here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Good luck with the build
Kevin
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jun 21 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What prompted the covair engine?
+Quote Post
914coop
post Jun 21 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 21 2011, 03:00 AM) *

Irv, since it's getting a Corvair engine, I'm thinking of a Nickname like Nader's Nightmare (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

T.C.

Guessing if it it isn't his It may be mine...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) , Kinda Like that one tho.
+Quote Post
914coop
post Jun 21 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 21 2011, 06:08 AM) *

Few things, cost of doing a 911 conversion. Did not have the funds to do it with buying the car, doing the flares, etc. (engines are just plain pricey). So Far the Corvair Engine is at about $1600.00 and I only have Clutch, Pressure plate and the exhaust to finish it up. Thinking it will be just over 2K for a brand new engine, only things left over from the original engine will be the crank and case.

I have owned Cotvairs in the past and have did a reverse rotation engine before with a VW transaxle in a Dune Buggy. Never had a issue with those power plants, however this will be my first turbo.

Cost of parts was a big deciding factor as they are easily obtainable and fairly inexpensive if you shop for them. Example complete rebuild kit without crank, and head work ran $850.00. All gaskets, Rods, Pistons, cylinders, bearings, etc.

Last deciding factor was that I got a running Corvair Spider engine for disposing of the rusty car.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 21 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 21 2011, 07:08 AM) *

Maybe Doc Evil's Bus with a 'Vair motor & his spate of posts on them over the past year? Not bad powerplants & well supported parts-wise in the USA, plus the P-6 conversion could still be done later.

I remember the guy in the earliest post from IN who TC got it from. It turned out he lived a couple of blocks from one of my brothers in Brooklyn IN. Odd the way this car has made the rounds about the country in just a couple of years, bouncing from north to south! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Good Luck Coop & hope your son helps you out with it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914coop
post Jun 21 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 21 2011, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 21 2011, 07:08 AM) *

Maybe Doc Evil's Bus with a 'Vair motor & his spate of posts on them over the past year? Not bad powerplants & well supported parts-wise in the USA, plus the P-6 conversion could still be done later.

I remember the guy in the earliest post from IN who TC got it from. It turned out he lived a couple of blocks from one of my brothers in Brooklyn IN. Odd the way this car has made the rounds about the country in just a couple of years, bouncing from north to south! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Good Luck Coop & hope your son helps you out with it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yes Dr. Evils posts got me thinking, however I was still looking for the 911 engine. When it was clear that that was not in the cards (Wallet) right now the Corvair seemed like the perfect choice. No cutting or adding radiators and was substantially less expensive and still had the benefits of the bigger engine. As you had mentioned it can be removed for a 911 engine if desired down the road.

Dan (My son) is the main worker on this car, I am just there to help and give advice since he has graduated this year and the car will be his when it is finished..

Hoping the next bounce down south will be because we drove it to a event instead of it being sold.
+Quote Post
chuckc
post Jun 23 2011, 05:38 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,123
Region Association: North East States

How fantastic! Congratulations. I wanted this one when it was selling a couple of years ago before I had saved enough to get my first teener. I was looking at one that was selling in Al. that had a corvair engine, but that had floor pan rust. Terry the owner simply loved the corvair power plant and had it to about 150hp carbed, no turbo. How much boost are you going to run?
I'm lookig forward to seeing this car beefed up.
Take care,
Chuck
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 5 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #10

Thanks T.C. for the nickname.

Well after 5 months and still waiting for engine parts. (Another story but if your looking for Corvair engibe parts, i can tell where mot to go) The car is up at Area 51 Werks to get the flares on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

We found 255x60x15 to go on the 15x9 rims that came with the car. Well with that sized rubber and rim Rick had to add almost 2" to the rear flare's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

We will need to modify or build new rocker covers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Also when he placed the front ones up for fitment, noticed they will need to be modified also. Sloped nose car. so more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1320508825.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1320508826.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1320508826.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1320508826.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 5 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) I'll post some larger photos if Irv and Dan give me the OK. I would show you the work required to reshape these flares but inprogress photos would likely freak you out. They look really fuggly before they look good.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 5 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #12

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If I can offer info, advise, or links to good suppliers of corvair parts, let me know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 5 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 5 2011, 08:41 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) I'll post some lager photos if Irv and Dan give me the OK. I would show you the work required to reshape these flares but inprogress photos would likely freak you out. They look really fuggly before they look good.

You do not even need to ask Rick, go ahead and post them.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 5 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

hopefully it was a 1964 spyder so you got the 164ci engine,
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 5 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 5 2011, 06:03 PM) *

hopefully it was a 1964 spyder so you got the 164ci engine,

Nope it was out of a very rusty 1966 Corvair Corsa sport 180 turbocharged.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 5 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #16

That is a better engine. If you want to put more oomph behind ya, bore it out and add VW p/c like I did on the bus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 5 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #17

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

Here ya go guys. Here's a couple from the first day. The rear track is fat so I couldn't just install the flares as everyone else. The sharpie line is where the flares fit without modification. I moved them almost 2" out from the line. These first two photos will kind of give you the impression that I ruined a good set of flares and it will be a miracle if they are even useable anymore. No worries. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I am butt welding these and shaping them as I go. I find it easier to tack them over the stretched lip of the original panel then cut through and hammer and dolly the two edges to line them up, then weld the gap. Here's the underside showing the waste strip I pull down as I move about 3-4" at a time.

Attached Image

The next set is showing a bumping tool I use to shape the panel as I go. I bump the low spots with this tool and a pointed one I have, hammer and dolly the highs and file the panel.

Attached Image
Attached Image

This is as far as I got today. It's starting to take shape.

Attached Image

And here you can see how much I had to modify the flares to fit the fatness. Lots of welding, grinding, planishing and filing before it's done.

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914coop
post Nov 6 2011, 08:40 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 5 2011, 06:42 PM) *

That is a better engine. If you want to put more oomph behind ya, bore it out and add VW p/c like I did on the bus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Looked at that, but it was more then I was willling to take on. Has a modified cam and .030 overbore being placed in it.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 6 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #19

In a 914 that will be plenty fun and cheap to maintain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 6 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you going to run the YH rochester carb spirited driving you will experience flooding and there is a simple vent trick to alleviate it.
I had to do it on mine when I autocrossed it when I was 16. I think it is in the how to hotrod your corviar book.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:10 PM