Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nader's Nightmare...and mine too build thread, 4/6/14 Update.
914coop
post Mar 23 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,514
Region Association: Northstar Region

plumbed the turbo to the cards today.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1364087423.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1364087423.2.jpg)

Pretty simple setup and not flashy but it should get the job done. It also allows me to get a air cleaner on it. will work on that tomorrow.

Still have the surrounding tin and exhaust to do but getting closer every day. Although it keeps snowing here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , supposed to get a inch again tonight.

Irv.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 23 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #122

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

No more snow in the forecast up here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Keep on going. I have that shroud material here if you end up needing it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914coop
post Apr 6 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #123

Well it has been forever since I posted on this thread. Seemed like every step I took forward on this project I ended up sliding back about 10 miles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I am at a point that I seem to be moving forward again at least until I try to drive it when all the salt gets washed off the roads here in Minnesota.

I had a huge crankcase ventilation problem that I caused by replacing the stock cooling system with an electric cooling fan that the builder forgot to take into account for the stock ventilation items he replaced. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I have modified it to add oil separator and ventilation boxes.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1396821338.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1396821338.2.jpg)

Mounted
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1396821338.3.jpg)

With shroud
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i384.photobucket.com-9514-1396821338.4.jpg)

I have hooked it up to a Bugpack breather box and have a drain hose from that to the valve cover if any oil gets up in that breather box, most likely over kill but the way things have gone, I am going the extra mile than having to back track.

Along with the crankcase ventilation problem the blow through turbo was pressurizing the carbs and shutting of the fuel under boost. After researching and talking with Steve Goodman (Corvair geru that has done the blow through system before), turns out I will need the mechanical fuel pump as well with the vent hole drilled and a hose barb attached to feed the turbo boost pressure so the fuel pressure increases as the boost does.

Snow is basically gone as of today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) but need some heavy rain to clean the streets before I test it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Irv
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Apr 6 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

Where did you get that electric motor setup? Home made? Or maybe the one Corvair Specialties sells? I'm very, very curious to see how well it cools.

-marcus
+Quote Post
914coop
post Apr 6 2014, 04:27 PM
Post #125

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Apr 6 2014, 01:59 PM) *

Where did you get that electric motor setup? Home made? Or maybe the one Corvair Specialties sells? I'm very, very curious to see how well it cools.

-marcus

Corvair Specialties, Save your money and build it your self, as I stated, he removes all the stock ventilation and you need to modify it, so not worth his asking price.

With fuel issue I have only drove it for about 10 minutes an outing but turbo was producing boost (enough to stop the gas flow) and my aircraft CHT gauge never got over 366 so far.

Hopefully I will get longer runs in soon.

Irv
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Apr 6 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #126

Yeah, no worries there. I'll never buy anything from him. His ideas are good but his way of having stuff manufactured overseas to very low quality and then selling them here never quite seems to work.

Just ask Dr. Evil about his roller rockers.

Anyway, I'd LOVE to have a cooling setup exactly like that if it works. And I suppose some kind of nutty 100 amp alternator to drive it. It's fantastic how one can lose the cooling belt and cleaning up the engine bay at the same time.

+Quote Post
914coop
post Apr 6 2014, 04:59 PM
Post #127

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Apr 6 2014, 02:46 PM) *

Yeah, no worries there. I'll never buy anything from him. His ideas are good but his way of having stuff manufactured overseas to very low quality and then selling them here never quite seems to work.

Just ask Dr. Evil about his roller rockers.

Anyway, I'd LOVE to have a cooling setup exactly like that if it works. And I suppose some kind of nutty 100 amp alternator to drive it. It's fantastic how one can lose the cooling belt and cleaning up the engine bay at the same time.

Yep, built a 135 amp for this, motor it draws 30 amps if I remember correctly.

Irv
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 6 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #128

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Nice to here the snow is going away Irv! As soon as I can get my trailer out I will come get that clip. I bought a real truck now so I can actually tow it.
+Quote Post
aerokurt
post Apr 6 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 16,832
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Some of us in the 'vair world make 3100cc engines by using type IV pistons and cylinders. You can find u-tubes on it.

Great work,
Cheers,
Kurt
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Apr 7 2014, 12:21 AM
Post #130

Hey Kurt,

Some of us do the same 3.1 liter conversion. You should check out these threads:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...marcus++corvair

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82750

Only 914coop seems to be bold enough to go for the turbo though. Fantastic stuff!

QUOTE(aerokurt @ Apr 6 2014, 10:29 PM) *

Some of us in the 'vair world make 3100cc engines by using type IV pistons and cylinders. You can find u-tubes on it.

Great work,
Cheers,
Kurt
+Quote Post
914coop
post Apr 7 2014, 11:18 AM
Post #131

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2014, 08:10 PM) *

Nice to here the snow is going away Irv! As soon as I can get my trailer out I will come get that clip. I bought a real truck now so I can actually tow it.

The way this year is going it will be discovered by scientists when the ICE age goes away... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Dan and I may be able to deliver it later this sping but I to make sure the snow will not be an issue when unloading it as well.

Irv
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Apr 7 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #132

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

I'm kind of bummed about the total fail of those CorvairSpecialties parts.
A costly learning curve.
I've read since that the Ford smallblock roller-tip rockers are a fit (with mods).
(CompetitionCams)
Investment-cast in steel,more ratios.
Made in America,like the GM Corvair.
Could be a solution.
Attached Image
Magnum
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 7 2014, 06:53 PM
Post #133

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2014, 11:10 PM) *

I bought a real truck now so I can actually tow it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
914coop
post Apr 7 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #134

QUOTE(veekry9 @ Apr 7 2014, 02:36 PM) *

I'm kindbut I will of bummed about the total fail of those CorvairSpecialties parts.
A costly learning curve.
I've read since that the Ford smalblock roller-tip rockers are a fit (with mods).
(CompetitionCams)
Investment-cast in steel,more ratios.
Made in America,like the GM Corvair.
Could be a solution.
Attached Image
Magnum

I have heard good reveiws on those. Once I am satisfied with the engine, I will be researching the rollor rockers.
Irv
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Apr 7 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #135

Hey guys,

I have a set of these on my desk right this moment. I spoke with Ray Sedman about this a couple of days ago. He said that the trouble with SBF roller tips is not mechanical, that in fact they work extremely well. The problem is that they're very expensive to have modified by a machinist. You have to TIG weld the existing oil hole shut, drill a new oil hole in the stock location with several carbide bits ($22 each!) and then widen the stud hole. It's easily $200-$400 worth of machining time. For $350 you can buy GOOD full roller rockers from Clark's or American-PI. So unless you do your own machine work, it doesn't make sense dollar wise.

Food for thought.

-marcus

+Quote Post
914coop
post Apr 7 2014, 09:00 PM
Post #136

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Apr 7 2014, 06:42 PM) *

Hey guys,

I have a set of these on my desk right this moment. I spoke with Ray Sedman about this a couple of days ago. He said that the trouble with SBF roller tips is not mechanical, that in fact they work extremely well. The problem is that they're very expensive to have modified by a machinist. You have to TIG weld the existing oil hole shut, drill a new oil hole in the stock location with several carbide bits ($22 each!) and then widen the stud hole. It's easily $200-$400 worth of machining time. For $350 you can buy GOOD full roller rockers from Clark's or American-PI. So unless you do your own machine work, it doesn't make sense dollar wise.

Food for thought.

-marcus

I was thinking of American-PI version, I have done business with Ray before and both Ray and Steve have helped me me as I have modified the turbo setup to spool up quicker and get rid of the lag.

Own Ray's safegard system and got rid of the turbo distributor and added a 90 hp without the vacuum retard.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 7 2014, 11:12 PM
Post #137

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

The name is probably taken......Porvair...?
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Apr 8 2014, 10:02 AM
Post #138

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Apr 7 2014, 10:42 PM) *

Hey guys,

I have a set of these on my desk.....

-marcus

Ah yes,I can't recall where I read of the adaptation,you are correct that those mods are needed.I had planned on installing spray bars to further dissipate heat over and above the hotspots in the vicinity of the exhaust valve.More power=more heat=more cooling=more oil capacity=larger oil cooler....ad infinitum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZm4YQ3WkEw

Sounds good.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 20 2015, 03:53 PM
Post #139

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Had to bump this thread. Wondering how it's going! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 20 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(914coop @ Jul 18 2012, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 16 2012, 07:10 PM) *

Where is your return going?

I may be turning the key on my science project this weekend as well. Good luck!

Feed is going out through where pressure sender was. I have added AN adapter with gauge fitting there. Welded shut the hole that went to the oil filter on that side. Return will come back from the remote oil filter and external cooler to the other hole left when I cut off the filter connection. Welded a AN fitting there also. Will verify the flow when I prime the system before attempting too start.

Have enjoyed this thread,I knew a bit about these motors but googled for more info,great what you are doing,IMO with a bit of modern tech they could be made bulletproof,as much as it pains me to say probably stronger than a 911 motor,certainly a lot less complicated.....and cheaper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
What potential problems are there with turbocharging in regards to engine/oil temps,do they have a larger oil cooler than the n/a motor for instance.
Keep up the good work.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:20 PM