Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> brake trouble, front brakes lock when hot
trfrick
post Jun 21 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Long Time Listener First Time Caller

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,113
Region Association: Northern California

I need some help - I replace the front rotors, calipers, pad, flex line and m/c. Now when I went for a test drive after several hard stops the front brakes get hot and lock up.
After they cool they release.

What should look for?

Thanks
Tom

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 20)
trfrick
post Jun 25 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #21

Long Time Listener First Time Caller

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,113
Region Association: Northern California

Problem resolved!!!

It was a combination of things:

1. Left front rotor had some play
2. Caliper bleed valve was cloged (probably from the over heating)
3. Brake pedal was not coming out far enough (my fault) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I first tried to push some brake fluid out the bleed valve on the left side and nothing would come out. Then I removed the caliper and saw the rotor was not centered in the caliper.

Then removed the caliper and remove and reinstalled the rotor.

Then removed the bleed valve cleaned it out and forced more brake fluid out of the caliper without the bleedvalve in place.

Reassembled and bled the brakes, then went for a test drive and still no luck. Then reread all of these post again and double checked everything. I could see no fluid was making its way back to the resivoir so it must be the brake pedal adjustment. I turned way more than it needed to and the car nearly rolled out of the driveway before i pulled the ebrake! Went for several hot laps around the block and everything working except for the idiot light (that is a problem for another day)

Thanks to everyone for their help. Especially Eric for the quality parts and toolguy for repeating the one thing I was sure not the problem! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Tom

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 09:08 AM