Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Replacing AAR, aka "cold start valve", discouraging options
Prospectfarms
post Jun 24 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My AAR shorted-out melting the ignition harness. There is infinite continuity between the pos. terminal and ground. Air passes freely through the valve despite heating the housing to 160 degrees F. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

My research indicates used OEM valves cost about $90. Typically these don't come with a guarantee. "Rebuilt" or NOS units cost about $200. "Cold start valves" of a similar configuration, e.g., VW, 944, Datsun, Mercedes, etc. begin at $140. Moreover, the off-brands on E-bay are pictured to be identical to the Bosch unit, and that gives me pause. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Many members of this forum have friends with stashes of old parts to trade, I don't, and am relying on the market to source replacement parts. My car starts and runs without it andI don't want to spend $100, let alone $200 for this part; however, I recognize that the AAR vastly simplifies tuning and the general operation of the motor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Should I:

1. Attempt disassembly and repair of my AAR, per Anders, et al?
2. Purchase a used OEM valve without a warranty?
3. Try a non-stock unit?
4. Go without AAR (how to tune?)
5. None of the above?

Maybe someone has an AAR for a 1.7 FI motor they would like to sell for less than $90? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) If so, please let me know that too. Or if that's bad forum etiquette,(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) just tell me I should place a Wanted ad in the classified forum.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:56 AM