Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Talented 914 writers at WCC?, Need help for Excellence...
Jeroen
post Jun 17 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

BTW... Brad, please contact me about the Excellence ad
We talked about it, but I need some specifics

cheers,

Jeroen
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PatW
post Jun 17 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #22

Wassup?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Jun 17 2004, 04:13 PM)

I was planning to write a great article, but I guess I don't need to bother. Good luck.

Write an article Rob!. You know you want to..

Then submit it. If they don't like it then tell them to kiss your (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) Isn't that what HST does? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Pat
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 17 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #23

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Monique and I are trying to write about our experiences at the WCC, if you want it can be in Dutch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 17 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #24

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Jun 17 2004, 04:13 PM)
Since I was a partial organizer and in-town attender, I guess I don't have a friggin clue what the 914 WCC was all about. And if being a "die-hard" 914 person is a requirement- I guess 28 years (since I was 6) of loving 914s is worthless.

The main point is to write an outstanding article that honors the event, its people, and our cars. I don't care who does it as long as it gets done. None of us are the judges either.

I was planning to write a great article, but I guess I don't need to bother. Good luck.

Rob

Sorry if you were offended by my comments. They were not directed at you in any way. I was simply stating my personal opinion on why I did not feel that I had the best perspective for writing the article. Although your perspective is similar to mine (in-town organizer), that has nothing to do with your opinions or ability to write a great article. But having not participated in the evening events and not being able to socialize at the autocross are two big reasons that I don't feel that I have the appropriate perspective.

As was stated by Pete in the original post, they are not interested in a laundry list of what happened. Anyone can write the list of events and who did what. But to write a great article that will grab the readers' attention and make them wish they were there, you have to pick an angle and write the article from an interesting perspective.

I simply don't feel I'm in the best position to do that. That's simply my opinion, and has reflection on what anyone else who attended is capable of writing.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jun 17 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

You guys quit fightin' and write an article - Pete's going to pick the one he likes best anyway - not any of us! How about any not used by Pete get posted here to convince people to attend next years WCC!

I wrote an article this morning (I'm a pretty decent writer if I do say so myself) and submitted it to my wife. She's going to write her own from her perspective of the event and we will compare and possibly work them together.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 17 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #26

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Do we need a group hug! Come on guys!

I can build stuff, and teach others to use what they have inside to create.

A writer i'm not.

My 14 year old (Kyle) is a natual born musician and writer! He plays drums in a garage band, electric bass in the 9th grade band, and upright base in the tenth grade band. He just started piano lessons today.

Is he a car guy?....not so much (sigh) He rode shot gun in the wifes support vehicle and slept most of the weekend. Just not his cup of tea. He didn't complain but he didn't run out and jump in the 914 for a ride either. I asked him to give the article a shot. I knew he would be up for it.

He say's" if I would have known in advance I wouldn't have slept so much!"

He cracks me up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

seriously, part of the reason the school let him out early is he was required to find a local band in the San Jose area and report on their performance. we lucked out and found a kid club about 6 blocks from the Pruneyard. He took about 150 digital pictures, loaded them into the lap top and did a video with music from one of the bands he went to see play. He wrote a paper on the experience in about 1.5 hrs.

He'll stay awake next time!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 18 2004, 10:31 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Alright, now I'm grinning. Look, it's come one, come all. The bottom line is the best story wins! And how fresh would it be to publish a 14-year-old in Excellence (iffn it's good, of course)! Now there's a resume builder...

The key here is knock my socks off so the 914club can knock the socks off 50,000+ readers around the world -- from Kansas to Bahrain to Australia...

As for photos, tiffs would probably be the way to go, but I'm hesitant to publish the magazine's author's only email. Are CDs sent by snail mail too much to ask -- or does anyone have a better idea? We'd need to move on that (if that was the way to go) -- would need them in a week.

Anyone interested in seeing their pix published can send them on a CD (with a quickie B&W print-out so I can credit you) to:

Excellence Magazine
ATTN: Pete Stout
42 Digital Drive #5
Novato, CA 94949

I'm not used to dealing with so many potential photographers in one story. We usually pay $35 a picture or a larger lump sum for one shooter who does it all. I am going to pay the author of the story, but may need to ask for generousity when it comes to the pix, lest the author get paid a lot less due to nickel and dime photo payments. It would also be a nightmare to get all of your SS#s for tax purposes... All photos will get a proper credit, however, and the eternal gratitude of this editor.

pete
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 23 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Tom Trudell, many thanks for the photo CD!

Any others en route?

pete
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jun 23 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #29

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

Pete,

Thanks for supporting the 914Club.

I normally pickup a copy on the news stand when I see a new issue. But, because you support us, I'm going to support you. I just signed up for a subscription. I don't want to miss the WCC issue of Excellence. It is going to be called "Excellence - The WCC Issue" isn't it?
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 23 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

WCC Issue... I like it!!!-- and for the cover I've got a nice picture of Brad wearing a Cow Boy hat while riding the passenger door of Ugly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Seriously, many thanks for the subscription. Every sub. is important to us, but ones like these mean a lot to me...kind of like when two friends who sold their Porsches a while ago kept their subscriptions.

Now I just gotta try to make the $22 you spent worth your while.

pete
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 23 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #31

Ernie made me do it!

Tell you what. Anyone who has any pictures you want submitted to Pete for the magazine article - send me the full size picture that you have. On Friday I will put them all on a CD and send them to Pete.

send to: demick@yahoo.com

Send one per e-mail so that single e-mails do not get too large.

Demick
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 23 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #32

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Hey Pete, I'll be up there in Novato around lunch time (across the street from SSI), want to buy me lunch, I mean want to do lunch??? If so, I hope you have something better than that 996 turbo you had last time, it was too slow....(still grinning from that ride) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 23 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #33

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I like the CD idea Demick. I know the TIFF files will be large.

I would like to see that pic of me on the window ledge of "Ugly" That is my SCCA ride through the pits without getting into the car trick. Used it many a times. Hopefully the pic didnt look completely stupid.

B
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jun 23 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

I don't need to see your ugly mug in Excellence (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
I want that pic of Birgit filling up the /6 in there!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 23 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #35

Ernie made me do it!

I am assuming hi-res .jpg files should be ok. Most people's digital cameras don't take tiff (and even if they do, people don't have their cameras set to take tiff). And it doesn't do any good to convert from jpg to tiff.

Also, if you send me pictures, it will probably help Pete to put a description with each picture. I can make up the descriptions, but the photographer should be able to create the most accurate description.

Demick
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 23 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #36

914 Freak!

As I walked around the event I told everyone who had a camera that would shoot .tiff to shoot with it turned on.

The primary people who where shooting with high quality digital:

Tom (yellow 76 914 carreraguy)

and Richard Linsdall

There where numerous other people who where shooting .tiff. Pete and I discussed prior to the event what format would work best. High Res digital wont cut it.

We also need to get a hold of the lady who rode with the guy in the WIDE Orange 9146. She was shooting Thursday night and Friday, but I didnt see her Sat. or Sunday.

B
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 23 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #37

Ernie made me do it!

Pete can chime in if 3.2mp jpg and higher is good enough or if we needn't bother even sending those. I would assume it would be fine for most pictures except ones that they want to print 1/2 page or larger.

If you have tiff pictures, you probaby ought to send them to Pete yourself since tiff can be 10 or 20 MB each (I think my mail can take a max of 10MB per e-mail).

Also, regarding royalties. If you want royalties for your pictures - then send them to Pete yourself. I don't want to get between Pete and the photographer on that issue. Only send me pictures if you are willing to forego any royalties. But as Pete said, you will still get credit in the magazine for any photos used.

Demick
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 23 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #38

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

As far as Tif vs Jpg goes, the tif will have slightly better saturation than a Jpg. This is assuming the Jpg quality is 100%. I use Jpg for almost everything I do that is raster based. I actually shoot in RAW format and convert my keepers to 100% Jpg files.
The problems with Jpg come with questionable compression rates.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 23 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #39

914 Freak!

Bottom line was 300dpi. Tiff covers that. They have to be able to shrink it and enlarge it without losing quality.

B
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 23 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #40

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

not to be too contradictory, but just because it's a tiff doesn't mean its 300 dpi. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 01:49 PM