Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> F/S 1970 914 CHEVY V8 CONVERSION, JUST FINISHED THE BUILD (LESS THAN 100 MILES)
914.SBC
post Jun 28 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,479
Region Association: None

The build has always been the more enjoyable piece for me and learning about new cars. This build was probably the most fun. I have always wanted one of these cars ever since HS when I saw my first one in about 1978. I learned a great deal from this board and had some help from some local members. But now I need more room in the garage to move on to the next project.

The entire engine is new so I won't break down every new part. It is a Chevy 350, 4 bolt main, 10.5:1 compression, lumpy cam (I have the specs if you want), aluminum 202 heads, 6500 hi-rise Pro Comp manifold and 650 cfm Eddlebrock Carb. It has ceramic coated shorty headers that lead into dual Flowmaster 3 chamber exhaust system.

It has the standard 901 side shift trans. It leaks a few drops here and there. It has new clutch and throw-out bearing. I have no issues with the trans other than the small annoying drops on the floor which I hear are common. Just have not replaced the O-ring in the cable which is where it is leaking from.

It has brand new brakes, rotors, bearings and seals. It has brand new struts and shocks. It has BMW calipers on the front. It is the standard 4 lug with Riviera wheels and brand new tires. (I elected to stay with a sleeper look).

The paint is Dupont black with no toner that is clear coated and polished There is no rust although I had a small quarter size piece on the pass floor board. It was grinded down and glassed. Hell hole is perfect... no rust.

The cooling system was patterned after race and boat applications so it is not an Renegade set up. This baby does not get past 170 degrees. It has a Mezziere remote mount water pump 55 gal p/m. It has full size hoses and the water neck is mounted on the thermostat housing.

Interior wise it is all new including door panels. Tach is converted for the V8 set up. It has a center console with Autometer guages, water temp, oil pressure and volt meter.

There are other things I would like to do to it but the more I do the less chance I will sell it for what I need for the next project.

I will consider all offers over 11k. If you want more pictures or have questions feel free to ask or PM. You can call me if you like as well. 909/ 471-2432.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Glad you stayed for as long as you did! Thats a good price for a great conversion!
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Jul 2 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 2 2011, 11:38 AM) *

Glad you stayed for as long as you did! Thats a good price for a great conversion!

Thanks my brotha but I have grown fond of these little babies. I think the next move might be another stock teener. I dont think I will be gone. You will see me again with a new project thread and a ton of more stupid questions. LOL

Have a great 4th. This black beast does not get hot but I do so since it is 98 degrees today she is in the garge.

Regards
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Jul 15 2011, 08:46 AM
Post #4

Bump....
+Quote Post
sooba_dave
post Jul 17 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,848
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Jul 15 2011, 09:46 AM) *

Bump....

Nice looking car, Bro. Last June, I'da had the $. That's always how it goes! Best of luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Aug 6 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #6

Here are some more pics taken today, 8-6-11.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Aug 6 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #7

HERE IS ENGINE PIC

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
70-914nut
post Aug 7 2011, 07:51 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,826

Love the car. Can you tell me where you got the senter caps for your wheels? I recently bought a set of rimes like yours im putting on my car and i need a set. Thanks
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Aug 7 2011, 08:38 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(70-914nut @ Aug 7 2011, 06:51 AM) *

Love the car. Can you tell me where you got the senter caps for your wheels? I recently bought a set of rimes like yours im putting on my car and i need a set. Thanks

I bought 2" center caps on Ebay. I also bought the decals that go in the middle of them off Ebay. Caps were about 50.00 and declas were about 10.00.
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Aug 17 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #10

MORE BUILD PICS FOR THE GUY THAT WANTED THEM. WE BUILT THIS REMOTE STARTER STAND AND BROKE IN THE ENGINE OUTSIDE THE CAR AND TIMED IT OUTSIDE THE CAR AS WELL. MADE IT A LOT EASIER.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Sep 2 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #11

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Sep 3 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #12

Now she has around 200 miles. I drove this lil Teener all morning long. Been cruising all over the Inland Empire, freeway, stop and go traffic, etc. It is 90 plus in Southern California today and she never got past 180 degrees. This is the most I have ever driven her and she is breaking in fine.

The price of poker may have gone up. I did not realize how much fun she is to drive and the number of looks, thumbs up, etc. I may have to put another 100 miles on her tomorrow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
flipb
post Sep 8 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

As has already been documented, this car - indeed, this thread - are featured on Jalopnik's Nice Price or Crack Pipe today.

It's running very close to 50/50 in the voting. I say it's a good price.

+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Sep 11 2011, 06:20 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(flipb @ Sep 8 2011, 11:51 AM) *

As has already been documented, this car - indeed, this thread - are featured on Jalopnik's Nice Price or Crack Pipe today.

It's running very close to 50/50 in the voting. I say it's a good price.

Wow that is way cool. The reason for the price difference in CL as opposed to 914 World is that the guys on 914 World helped me build it with advise and selling me parts I had no clue where to get. For that reason, I am offering it at 11k to the World.
+Quote Post
kitekook
post Sep 13 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #15

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 13,554

She is beautiful...can you tell us what kind of gas milage you are getting with this conversion?

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Sep 3 2011, 12:05 PM) *

Now she has around 200 miles. I drove this lil Teener all morning long. Been cruising all over the Inland Empire, freeway, stop and go traffic, etc. It is 90 plus in Southern California today and she never got past 180 degrees. This is the most I have ever driven her and she is breaking in fine.

The price of poker may have gone up. I did not realize how much fun she is to drive and the number of looks, thumbs up, etc. I may have to put another 100 miles on her tomorrow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Sep 13 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(kitekook @ Sep 13 2011, 04:40 PM) *

She is beautiful...can you tell us what kind of gas milage you are getting with this conversion?

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Sep 3 2011, 12:05 PM) *

Sort tough to gauge since I dont drive it very far other than to Starbucsk a few times a week. I would estimate around 10-12 mpg on the city streets.
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Sep 24 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #17

More build pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Jan 5 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #18

I have had so much dang fun driving this baby but I cant fit my next project in my garage. I have a choice between the teener and my Camaro. I have way too much moolah in the Camaro so the teener is back on the market. My daughter is getting married in April and this would help ease some pain. I dont want to so I remain fickle.

The car is running great. Two weeks ago I installed a set of new ceraminc coated headers and new exhaust tips. She still does not overheat and runs strong.

I may take it out to Pomona next week if I can get back in time from the Score Races in Laughlin.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jan 6 2012, 06:18 AM
Post #19

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Ty- You did a great job on this car! If It hadn't been 1400$ to transport to the East Coast I would have been all over it!!!

Building these conversions from scratch costs much more than a finished project.

Two questions- What application are the headers for? Camaro, Corvette, Hugger, truck?
Did you cut out the engine shelves in the engine compartment to make room for the V8?
Thanks!
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Jan 6 2012, 09:20 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(bulitt @ Jan 6 2012, 04:18 AM) *

Ty- You did a great job on this car! If It hadn't been 1400$ to transport to the East Coast I would have been all over it!!!

Building these conversions from scratch costs much more than a finished project.

Two questions- What application are the headers for? Camaro, Corvette, Hugger, truck?
Did you cut out the engine shelves in the engine compartment to make room for the V8?
Thanks!

Thanks so much for the compliment. You recognize I have much more money in the build than the sales price but thats okay. I enjoyed building it.

I am runnning ProComp Headers (block hugger style) and there was no cutting involved to install the engine. Just made a solid motor mount.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:27 AM