Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Wonders of Science, estimating engine power
lapuwali
post Jun 18 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

A few years ago, when I still raced motorcycles, there were a number of jokers who ran a team called The Army of Darkness. Not Satanists, just troublemakers. They wrote up a series of great technical articles referring esp. to a now dead engine designer named Phil Irving. Irving divulged the following simple formula:

cyl size / (valve_size * lift * pi * valve_count) * ((rpm/2))/60

This gives the mean gas speed through the intake tract, which, when crunched against the stats for a wide variety of bikes they available, turned up the fact that the maximum gas speed for a normally-aspirated engine was about 12.5m/s. Above that gas speed, power always falls off, presumably because at that point, more airflow simply doesn't happen (sonic wall). This means that the formula above can show what the max USEFUL revs will be for given valve sizes and lift. This worked on every bike engine they tried (and a few they didn't, which I did later).

Today, with some time to kill, I tried the Type 4. I have a 1.7, so that's what I used. 1679cc, so 419.75cc per cylinder. Valve sizes are 39.33mm, and there's one intake per cylinder. Lift I didn't know for the stock cam, but a troll through some other references suggested it was somewhere between 10-11mm (at the valve, not the cam). I tried the above for 10mm, and BING! max gas speed at 4500rpm is 12.7m/s. 4500rpm is the power peak for a stock 1.7. Looks like this formula works for the Type 4, too.

What else can we find out? Well, hp = torque * rpm / 5252. Increase engine speed w/o altering torque and power rises. Problem is, if the engine doesn't breathe at the elevated engine speed, torque drops off, so power drops off. If you can raise the engine speed w/o harming breathing, you'll get more power.

Well, with 42mm valves (stock for the 2.0) and the 10mm lift, the power peak only rises to 4700rpm. This suggests only a mild power increase (about 4%). With a cam/rocker combo giving 12mm of lift, however, the power peak rises to 5700rpm (26%). With the cam alone and stock 1.7 valve sizes, the power peak rises to 5300rpm (18%). This suggests that with 2.0 heads and a 12mm lift cam, you can get 100hp out of a 1.7. With just the cam, you can't do better 95.

All of this ignores a whole host of other factors, but it's interesting that first order approximations seem to work. It's esp. interesting that Irving wrote this work in 1948, and it still works today.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
lapuwali   The Wonders of Science   Jun 18 2004, 03:50 PM
airsix   Before anyone jumps in to say "Ya, but..." I just...   Jun 18 2004, 04:28 PM
SirAndy   ...   Jun 18 2004, 04:41 PM
Racer Chris   A while back I ran a 1.7L (91mm bore) race engine ...   Jun 18 2004, 04:48 PM
lapuwali   So, Chris provides some data and blows the whole t...   Jun 18 2004, 05:55 PM
Mueller   it could be just for estimating baseline hp or th...   Jun 18 2004, 05:59 PM
Racer Chris   ...   Jun 18 2004, 07:02 PM
lapuwali   Another amusing estimation formula is to look at B...   Jun 18 2004, 07:28 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 07:43 AM