Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel pump options for 73 injected model
timofly
post Jul 6 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,082
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I wouldn't even think about arguing with people on here who have forgotten more than I know about 914s, but I moved my fuel pump up front because I had two pumps fail by leaking fuel all over the place. I just couldn't get comfortable with the idea of a leaky pump 6" from the HE.

I also went with the SS lines all the way down the tunnel and into the engine compartment. I've heard some say that the 35 year old plastic fish tank lines in the engine compartment are just fine, but I am not a born optimist, so those got replaced with real fuel lines too.

Just one man's opinion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Sep 30 2014, 12:15 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 991
Region Association: None

[/quote]

I am with the Cap'n on this one. I live in LA LA since I've had my teener. I retrofitted the three port pump to the two port pump ...bus part No. I believe, and installed it in the stock location. I have never had a problem with vapor lock or any other heat related problem.

I agree with not pressurizing the inlet line as they were not designed for it in your year. I have a '73 as well.

Issues will be:
The stock mounting clamp won't tighten on the smaller pump.

Other than that I would do what everyone has suggested and I really don't think it is necessary to move the pump up front. Save your energy for other things.....and there will be.

Good idea to dump the old fuel and inspect every fuel line while you are there. I ended up replacing ALL my rubber fuel lines, I have D-jet injected car. I used the CARB rated lines for the reformulated fuels now on the market. The jury is out on wether these are better or not....I am not a purist by any means but these connections are CRITCICAL to keep your car from going up in smoke.

This board is great....lots of characters and helpful folks..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
[/quote]

I realize this is from a post about 3 years ago, but you said that you put a new 2 port fuel pump in the stock location. I am trying to do the exact same thing.
I used the clamp bracket from the 3 port with a wrap of cork gasket material around the new pump to make it tight. I put the bracket as close to the inlet end of the pump as possible. When I try to put the pump up on the studs, the 12mm inlet fuel line kinks because that end of the pump is too close to the firewall.
How did you get around this?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 30 2014, 12:25 PM
Post #23

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I use enough hose to form a loop.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Sep 30 2014, 12:29 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I used the bracket that came with a Bosch coil.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Sep 30 2014, 12:51 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 991
Region Association: None

In the picture above, the pump has been moved to the lower firewall. Can it be left in the stock location on the existing rubber mounts?
If you move it to the firewall, is it loud inside the cabin? Just drill a couple of holes in the firewall for a bracket?

Thanks
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 30 2014, 12:57 PM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(SteveL @ Sep 30 2014, 11:51 AM) *

In the picture above, the pump has been moved to the lower firewall. Can it be left in the stock location on the existing rubber mounts?
If you move it to the firewall, is it loud inside the cabin? Just drill a couple of holes in the firewall for a bracket?

Thanks

You can try anything you want. The stock pump comes and goes the same side where the new pump passes from one side to the other. You also have the fuel filter. Plus the fuel pump isn't the easiest thing in the world to attach.

I did mine a few months ago just as pictured with excellent results.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 30 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 30 2014, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(SteveL @ Sep 30 2014, 11:51 AM) *

Thanks

You can try anything you want. The stock pump comes and goes the same side where the new pump passes from one side to the other. You also have the fuel filter. Plus the fuel pump isn't the easiest thing in the world to attach.

I did mine a few months ago just as pictured with excellent results.

I did mine also as pictured above a while ago

Easy.....I've driven in 110 ambient temps in So Cal.

It was an easy install with no problems.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:20 AM