Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speakers behind the seats, again...
McMark
post Jun 22 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I made a new set of behind the seat speakers for my new car. Check em out.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/members/markd/misc/speaks/1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/members/markd/misc/speaks/2.jpg)

They're Eclipse 4"x6".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Jun 22 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 96

They look awesome.

Dude, your hands could use a tan. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

How do you suppose I got my hand on the camera on the drivers side and then put my hand on the longitudinal on the passenger side? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'll pass the message along to Brandon though.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 22 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Thats alot of air volume for that little speaker..(keeping in mind its a speaker, and not a subwoofer) You could have put another speaker in there for that much air!

Looks good though.

Although I havent turned on my radio in my car for hmm... 7 months?
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Jun 23 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jun 22 2004, 05:08 PM)
How do you suppose I got my hand on the camera on the drivers side and then put my hand on the longitudinal on the passenger side? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'll pass the message along to Brandon though.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

No! Don't tell him I think he's pasty white. He may not want to paint my car anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I figured you had someone take the picture... <_<

Jen
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Jun 23 2004, 07:13 AM
Post #6

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Looks good! I'm not trying to critizize, but putting a 2-way speaker behind the seat is going to block almost all of the highs and mids that the speaker produces, making it sound muffled. If you are using them for bass, you would be better off going with a small sub-woofer, maybe around a 6" or 8". Of course, I am no speaker expert (although I did stay at a Holiday in last night), so everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure somebody that knows a lot more than me will weigh in.
+Quote Post
morph
post Jun 23 2004, 11:00 AM
Post #7

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

mike the man is right most mids and highs require a direct path to the listener.or they will sound"off" ,what will over come that is power lots and lots of power (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) any speaker that dosent require you to cut into youre 914 is a great one. i see you found carpet to cover them that match youre carpet
looks good ,are those speaker panels installed with no speakers???
that would give you great sound,and btw thats a great looking carpet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 23 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

any speaker that dosent require you to cut into youre 914 is a great one

thats what I'm thinking........Mark is smart enough to know some comprimises have been made without having to hear it from the experts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Jun 23 2004, 11:21 AM
Post #9

I like stuff!

I do agree that hacking up the car to put speakers in is bad, some jackass put speakers in my door panels, and did a piss poor job of it I might add. So, putting the speakers somewhere out of the way is a good idea, they just might not sound the best. If I didn't already have holes in my door panels I'd get some of those fancy kick panels that Morphenspectra makes. But who really needs a stereo anyway? With the top off and the motor wound up, you can't hear much in any case.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 23 2004, 02:30 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

The sound isn't crystal clear from the rears, but I don't think it's much different than speakers mounted by the rear window in some modern coupe. Those speakers have a lot of crap in the way of your head as well. What I do know is that they really round out the sound and give you a little kick in the back to go with the bass. Now I'm thinking I should put two 4x6s in a box that size as mentioned above. Might just have to make new boxes for those. I have to do some research about 4 ohm versus 8 ohm loads on a head unit and volume effects and such. I would be running all four rear speakers off the head unit and each box would act like a single 8 ohm speaker (or 2 ohm, if the head can handle it). Might be good.
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Jun 23 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #11

I like stuff!

A lot of external amplifiers are 2 ohm stable. Not sure about head units, though. I've never heard of any that are 2 ohm stable, but I'm sure there are some.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 23 2004, 03:17 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Yeah, I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to wire four speakers in the rear. I guess it's time for a bigger amp.
+Quote Post
72914S
post Jun 23 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #13

love this shot

Member No.: 900
Region Association: South East States

A few years back I made a couple of bazzuka(sp) tubes with some pvc pipe(4") they are 18" long with 4" bass speakers from radio shack.They are vented with 1" pvc (cut in half). Being as I like my seat pulled up, they do fit behind. I not sure if radio shack still has these small speakers any more. They do sound really good.I`ll try to post some pictures if anyone is interested.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 23 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

My boxes are 2.5" wide, so I think 4" would be too much. I actually could have gone a little thinner and been okay.

Bazooka. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 23 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #15

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I'm no expert but I do know that frequencies below 250hz are non directional. So I'd guess that if you could put a decent small sub with a 250hz low pass filter (or if you had a nice crossover), it would probably be ideal.

I always thought that some good surface mount tweeters on the dash in the "corners" of the windshield would give good reflectivity and imaging. The stock speaker location in a 914 is really pretty good for stereo imaging, especially without a passenger.

I think those morphenspectra enclosures look really good. If I ever get the time to build a car for myself (the cobbler's children have no shoes), that's what I'd use.

PK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jfort
post Jun 24 2004, 08:26 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

i put some little tweeters on top of the dash in the corners and some 4x6's in the standard place. the 4x6's can't handle much power and don't sound good, in my opinion, but the tweeters are great. i wish i could figure out how to put in a subwoofer somewhere without junking up the car
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jun 24 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #17

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

i wish i could figure out how to put in a subwoofer somewhere without junking up the car

As I mentiomned on another thread, I put a VERY cheap bass tube (read $20) on the passenger floor, and it adds just the right amount of bass to make my very average 200 watt head sound great. Didn't have to cut up anything, still decent leg room for any passenger under 6'2", and if I were going on a longer trip with somebody taller, pull the wire from the spring clamps, and the tube is out of the way literally in 15 seconds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 06:40 AM