Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WCC 2005 Venue and Leadership?
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 23 2004, 04:17 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Its been quiet the last couple-o-weeks. There was a lot of buzz immediately following the 1st WCC, but we haven’t heard any follow-up.

So whats happening behind the scenes?

There was general consensus that the WCC should move around between the SF Bay area, the Portland Oregon area and SoCal, for lots of reasons.

The 1st WCC seemed to really benefit and frankly was only possible because we by piggybacked onto other concurrent events. Portland was suggested for WCC 2005. Any progress made?

Here is an another idea: Parade 2006 is scheduled for Portland. That is one huge P-car event and whatever happens, the 914CLub should be planning to show EN MASSE…we could coattail onto it and make it even bigger. But is Parade too big to run a concurrent 914-only event? Maybe the WCC2006 is before or after Parade? Maybe its altogether a bad idea? If WCC2006 is in P-land then that would suggest that WCC2005 be held in SoCal. Anyone from SoCal willing to put the WCC2005 together next year? I nominate Team Slits/Cricket or Team Kline/Howard to show us the SoCal way to party 914-style… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The WCC2004 was planned in about 3 months, and it worked out ok, but 6 months or more for an event of this caliber would be much mo’ better and effective. A lot of upfront work should be and can be done before the end of this year…lining up sponsors, drafting the brochure, creating graphics, creating a website, roughing in the event schedule. Registrations should begin 3 months before and cut off no less than 1 month before the event. The major key is identifying and coordinating with concurrently planned events, if that approach will be taken…its not the only way, just the easiest way. A stand-alone event with sufficient activities to keep the interest high, is very difficult to pull off.

The WCC2004 Sponsors are ready to commit for next year...as soon as they are contacted. I believe we could get larger sponsorships from additional sponsors in 2005 with better organization.

There are many who are willing to assist …but one person needs to step up to take the lead.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 23 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Then is that a suggestion to hold the WCC every TWO years?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 23 2004, 05:16 PM
Post #3

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

Rocky Mountain Classic? i'll help
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 23 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

There was a time last November and December when I didn't really see the WCC"04" event coming together. Jeff's approch was award winning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I am truely impressed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) You really learn alot about people when the heat is on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I would love for the next event to be is So Cal. That was the original plan for WCC 04. If it's going to be there we need a committed group of So Cal members to see things through. From first hand experience... planning an event in So Cal or anywhere in California from out of state is nearly impossible.

I also like the Portland Parade idea for "06". The other P cars guys won't know what to think! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Doesn't really matter where the event is located. I'm behind any location and will make every attempt to attend again.

I met some great new friends. I saw some of the best 914's.

Remember! the WCC "05" is just around the corner. If your car needs work, get busy! And buy parts from the SPONSORS that helped make this happen!

BTW: Our sponsors helped make the WCC happen. I'm not sure how many of you noticed but they have continued support for the MWC! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) So Show some respect! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jun 23 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #5

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

As I posted before, if there was a desire to do it in L.A. I would certainly help. But there is no AX that I know of in this area, so San Diego Qual Comm might be a better choice if there are any members that would be able to hook us up with the group that runs the AX there.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jun 23 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Who ever's gonna follow in Jeff's footsteps for 2005 is in for quite a challenge.
Jeff put the bar pretty high (specially for a new/first time event)

I'm sure if Jeff hadn't stepped up to pick up the leadership for the event, we'd still be chasing our own tails (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I prolly said it before, but I can't say it enough... Jeff did great (and I still can't believe we pulled this off in just 3 months)
He kept everybody on his toes without being a "boss" or jerk about it (and I've seen it different quite a few times).

But don't let that discourage you!
I'm sure you can count on the help of some (if not all) of this years co-organisers (I'm in for sure, for what ever that's worth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif))
I think we've put down a good precedent in 2004 that will help us build upon for 2005

So... who will accept the challenge for 2005???
Come on and step to the plate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 23 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Jeff you did a truly magnificent job & the 914 world owe you thanks. Leadership is planning ahead & it's good to have future schedule's so other parts of the country can attend.

Our Mid-West meet in August is benifiting your results. Sponsorship money is rolling in due to the success of your meet. Our SMOG guys also stepped up (Tom Mulcrone, Gary Stellmach & Dick Zarbo) when our previous leader stepped down. Our guys finally found a location to continue our MW meet. We found it takes over a year to secure prime spots. We found the plumbers & other groups already had the choice spots for their conventions. Our Mid-West meet will get better each year same as the West Coast meets. Yes, planning is important as well as leaders to steer the course of our 914 future.

Thanks again Jeff & all the others. The list of sponsor's are growing for the Mid-
West meet & it's going to be one Hell of a meet. Note: Pun intended "Drive to Hell" for an ice cream cone by Tom Mulcrone on curvy roads.
Tom:
P.S.
I just got my car out of winter storage & I love my 914. Can't wait till Aug. 7th.
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Jun 23 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #8

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

Not sure about others with two P-cars, but a problem I'll have to deal with re: Parade '06 is which one to bring! I do know I plan to attend Parade for sure!
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jun 24 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #9

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Deal me in for SoCal 2005. Have plenty of support (drew, skline, slits, formerly known as toast) who want to play. Formerly known as Otto wants to sponsor. 2006 should probably be in Portland to link with concurrent events.

The real wildcard is competitive events. We would have to join someone or rent a track. Tracks in SoCal are in ugly places, especially during summer months. If we skip the AutoX or track, we can make a beautiful venue.

Jeff, you're a tough act to follow, but think we can do it with your help. The big deal is attracting people like Rich who will make the long haul. Looking back at 2004, it was more people than planned events. I'm willing to trade AutoX for family BBQ, if it comes to that. Maybe even do it in February/March to help the snow birds. Would advise we donate a portion to a charity (I like Special Olympics) so it would be a tax deductible.
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 24 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #10

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Ok, If Howard is in, then so am I. I was thinking we could maybe even talk to some people in the military and have an AX event (Maybe) at the old El Toro Marine base like Mazda did with their Rev it up event. The other place would be the OC fairgrounds or Irvine Meadows where they held the VW Classic the past few years. I know of some people to contact for this and it could happen. If an AX event is important, (I really liked it) then it gives us something to shoot for. It is for sure a challenge but I think we have some people that will play ball with us and I think we can make it happen. So count me in and lets see what happens.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 24 2004, 06:56 AM
Post #11

914 Wiring Harnesses

The AX was by far the most critical, and difficult event to pull off for the WCC 2004. Not for me personally...it was the easiest...Rob and Demick did everything. Recall that we originally discussed a separate stand alone event in Cambria...but that was impossible to do for insurance reasons...teaming up was the only way it happened.

Brad said early on that without an AX we would not attract 50% of those who would normallly attend, and I think he is dead-on right. Several AX-only 914 owners attended the event and what is equally significant, is that a handful of us who had never AX'd before...are now AX enthusisasts...Thew WCC brought the two groups together. No AX...it will just be the 914 socialites...

I think the AX is a critical thing for the overall success of the event, and attendance will be way off without it.

That being said, Howard you are also right..I think we realiazed that the event is really about the people as much as it is about the cars, and a BBQ or other more social focus would be great too. But without an AX...(or maybe a competitive, very well done road rally...?) we will lose attendance.

But whatever works out...Show us what you SoCal-ites do for 914 fun...show us the SoCal way....we dont have to follow the same model all the time...
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 24 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #12

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

a redo in sj would be fine with me. perhaps a ax at the alameda venue would be possible. sj is a nice mid point for those both up and down the west coast. later in the summer, further south, would probably be a bit warm for my taste. why mess with success?

kevin
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jun 24 2004, 08:10 AM
Post #13

2270 club

Member No.: 218

I disagree that the AX is crucial to the success of this event. Locally there are only a handful of 914 autoXers and I'm sure that 75% of them would have show up to the WCC anyway.

Don't get me wrong though. It was damn fun and I'm thinking that I will definitely attend the next one in Alameda.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 24 2004, 08:19 AM
Post #14

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Brad said early on that without an AX we would not attract 50% of those who would normallly attend, and I think he is dead-on right. Several AX-only 914 owners attended the event and what is equally significant, is that a handful of us who had never AX'd before...are now AX enthusisasts...Thew WCC brought the two groups together. No AX...it will just be the 914 socialites...

I think the AX is a critical thing for the overall success of the event, and attendance will be way off without it.

Maybe. I don't have the data to support this, but perhaps that is due to the fact that folks could attend the AX seperately from the WCC? Again, I don't have the numbers, so I could be talking out of my hat. Personally, an AX wouldn't be the main atraaction for me.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 24 2004, 08:52 AM
Post #15

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think the AX is a must for the WCC as it was the one time I could wander around talking and BS to people without a time constraint. Driving to this and that leaves little time to BS, eating at restaurants leaves out the cars.
A AX is a all day event with the people and cars with a little racing added in. Working on the course is the time to meet new people and talk about more than "What 914 is your car?".
I could care less about the swap meets and concours events........
TECH sessions (hint hint)

Totally agree that it should be Portland in 2006.

Geoff
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jun 24 2004, 09:23 AM
Post #16

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have been lurking in the back before commiting to spearheading an effort to bring the WCC 2005 to Portland Oregon.
The one event that I would want to piggyback off of is the Baxters Vintage car races, check the website. www.portlandhistorics.com
I have been waiting to attend the three day event and see how it plays out, and to judge if it would be an event the we can seamlessly work into.
All of the other needs are already in place. Such as lodging, restaurants,shopping,day trips, and "in case of rain" other things to keep you from melting in the downpour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I received my Historic Races three day pass this past week, and they are planning a two day Sat. and Sunday autocross at $5.00 per car. It will be held in the infield pro pits, which is the same spot that the PCA has the monthly autocrosses when we are unable to have them in the outside parking area.
I have posted about this event in the early days after just returning form the WCC in San Jose. Some people in the PNW were supportive of this venue. I have mentioned this to people (914 owners)who did not attend the WCC 2004 and have received an overwhelming show of support and willingness to "call me if I can help".
I have been to many PCA parade starting back in 1975. Unless you are a Porsche club member, and you want to follow the parade agenda for each and everyday, then you are going to be out of luck. Yes there are some free time days but still PCA oriented. CCLINWCC2005INPDX?????
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 24 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

I think the AX is very important and here is why:

I figure that 11 of the 72 registrations were directly attributable to the AX event…no AX, I don’t think that these 11 would have attended. These 11 have now seen the rest of what the 914Club is about and some are now more active in the BBS. I am pretty sure Brad had a lot to do with getting them to attend. I have no doubt that Brad alone could have gotten the WCC 2004 to 100 with enough effort.

Most of the 60 other registrations were at least interested in trying the AX…and they did. 57 of the 72 registrations participated in the AX.

Over 20 registrations had never AX’d before and many of those now have ‘AX-fever’.

Not to say that a WCC without an AX would not be a great thing, its just that if you offer:

* A BBQ only, say X cars will show up…

* A BBQ, scenic road trip and a trip to Laguna, 2X cars will show up…

* A Breakfast, road trip, Laguna, AX, Concours, Swapmeet, Prizes, Awards…72 914s sign up!

The point is that not everything will appeal to everyone influencing their interest in attending, and not all registrations will attend every event either. If a variety of opportunities are available, more will want to attend the event. Not many of us would drive to SoCal or P-Land just for a one-day event, so make it interesting!
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 24 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #18

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

Slits and I have been talking about it almost daily since the WCC 04.

So. Cal. is such a large area (from Riverside to the beach to San Diego) it has been challenging for Slits and I to come up with a centeralized location.

It appears that their are at least 4-5 So. Cal. 914 owners who would be willing to get an event together. So, I will contact thoes members (Howard, Scott, Slits, Me, drew365(?) ) and see about arranging a planning meeting. Hey, the more help, the less stress for one individual.

Ok guys, lets give it a shot!

WCC 2005......Here We Come!
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 24 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #19

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

By all means come to the Parade in 2006. Piggybacking on to that would be a real chore, however, and prolly would not be well received......that's a personal WAG.

The local club is talking about 200 cars (minimum) for the AX and it will be spread out over 2 or 3 days....not to mention trying to find a venue big enuff to hold it. I plan to be busier than a one legged man in an asskicking contest during that time.

As Craig said, the Historic thing looks like a possibility. BTW, Craig, that's 5 bucks per run. Since this is *new*, no one knows how it is going to play out. I *assume* the SCCA is going to run it....I'll find out this weekend.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 24 2004, 11:57 AM
Post #20

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

I can't believe there's NO AX in LA at all. Teaming up with another club is, as Jeff pointed out, the way to go.

From dealing with a few small AX clubs in the Midwest years ago, I'd bet that most of them would welcome the extra cars if they also came with plenty of extra help. In the Midwest, even the local Corvair club managed to host their own AX, and they had no problem with other people showing up. There's a Datsun 510 club in the Bay Area that has hosted an AX from time to time. Find the LA equivalent of these clubs and talk to them. At the very least, finding out how they're insuring the event will go a long way, even if they're not willing to co-host.

Is there no PCA region down there? Don't they host an AX? Are they just assholes?
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:10 PM