Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WCC 2005 Venue and Leadership?
anthony
post Jun 24 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #21

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

The problem of course is that the LA Region PCA is more of a wine and cheese club. We'd have to go down to San Diego to piggy back with the San Diego Region AX.

I think the AX is a must for the WCC as it was the one time I could wander around talking and BS to people without a time constraint. Driving to this and that leaves little time to BS, eating at restaurants leaves out the cars.
A AX is a all day event with the people and cars with a little racing added in. Working on the course is the time to meet new people and talk about more than "What 914 is your car?".
I could care less about the swap meets and concours events........

My experience was the exact opposite. At the AX I felt like I had very little time to talk to folks. Either I was getting my car ready, in my car during my run group, standing out in the parking lot working the course (covering a large area by myself), and then during my off time I had an hour to eat and get my car ready for the afternoon run.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 24 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #22

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 24 2004, 10:57 AM)
I can't believe there's NO AX in LA at all. Teaming up with another club is, as Jeff pointed out, the way to go.

Is there no PCA region down there? Don't they host an AX? Are they just assholes?

The POA holds an AX and race event annually at the California Speedway in Fontana, Ca. called The Festival of Speed. There is vendors, a selling area, races, and a "drive your own car on the track" event.

Thats the only one I know about. Im still a newbie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 24 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #23

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

Doing some poking around, it looks like the Riverside region of the PCA holds an AX nearly every month (so their website shows). There are at least two other regions in this area according to the PCA website, but the regions' own websites aren't all that helpful. Sounds to me like Riverside is where all the cool types hang out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 24 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #24

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Not all the cool people are out in Riverside/San Berdo area, did anyone think to check with the Orange Coast region? PCA Orange Coast I think I will make a few contacts with them and see what happens. I even have some possible additional sponsers I will look up as well.
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Jun 24 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #25

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

The POA holds an AX and race event annually at the California Speedway in Fontana, Ca. called The Festival of Speed. There is vendors, a selling area, races, and a "drive your own car on the track" event.

I was going to say, couldn't we rent, or at least ask the Ca Speedway about using the parking lot for the auto-x?
It seems like the magazine-tv shows use their parking lot for events, why not us?
Too much cost just for us? Then make it a Porsche Club event. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Or contact Willow Springs about using the Streets of Willow Springs, much tighter & slower than the big track.

SoCal in 2005 sounds good.
Portland in '06 in & around Parade sounds good too.

Nice thread Bowlsby.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 24 2004, 01:17 PM
Post #26

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Scott the problem that we (914Club) have is insurance. Even if we had the $, we don't really have the infrastructure that may be required by most insurers. Piggy backing on another event allows us to use the other club's clout for insurance.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 24 2004, 01:18 PM
Post #27

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

My input is that the event should be held in conjunction with some other interesting Porsche or Historic automotive event that complements WCC. Examples historic races, Dunkle Bros., etc.

Interesting venues will attract more people as well. Car museums or specialty Porsche shops are fun destinations for me.

Getting out to a track is good. Cool track opportunities will get people motivated to show up! I drove 60 miles from a rescheduled job interview in Cupertino just to get the one lap and photo's on Laguna Seca and then drove back and interviewed at 3 pm.

AX should be part of the event if possible, but wouldnt be primary motivation for me. Unless of course it was in So cal at Streets of Willow! Now that would be a cool 914 event!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 24 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #28

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 24 2004, 11:17 AM)
Scott the problem that we (914Club) have is insurance. Even if we had the $, we don't really have the infrastructure that may be required by most insurers. Piggy backing on another event allows us to use the other club's clout for insurance.

Yes, For the benifit of those not in the planning thread, we researched this extensively. I made several long distance calls researching the minimal requirements to qualify for event insurance. The big stumbling block was the insurable identity. An online club doesn't have one.... Second thing was the cold hard cash! Event insurance is Bling! Like in Bling! Bling! Lots of exposure. Ask Howard he'll tell ya. Best way around that is to grab onto someones coat tails and go along for the ride.

BTW: 05 should go a little smoother. the 04 crew did alot od research the 05 group will benifit from.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 24 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #29

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

Scott - OC Region holds AX at Orange County Fairgrounds. I talked to the guy that runs it briefly. He didn't jump up and down, but then he was in after hours, after parts.

The California Festival of Speed is a full on Pro Road Race along with Porsche Club racing - the "spectator" on track time is during lunch on Sat or Sun and they charge $20 bucks per head (I think) to do 5-7 laps. I would think they would put the "club" in one group together if we could join them for that event. It's held in April as I remember. Precision Motion provides volunteers (me & Glenn) to run the swapmeet on Sat. Pelican had a booth there once too. More high dollar racing crowd than anything else. The laps on the road course at Calif Speedway are fun - limited to 65 mph - Hah - speedo read 110 going into turn one.

Twisty Roads - Mountain Roads from Big Bear to Lake Arrowhead to Crestline. (Trees & somewhat cool)
or
North County San Diego (temecula - dry, desert & Hot)

Accomodations: Many hotels near Ontario Airport which would be "close" for Mountain drive and Cal Speedway (nothing is close in LA).

More ideas please!

Ok - that's what I know for now
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 24 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #30

OK, what needs to happen is that we need to decide on SoCal or PacNW. Before anything else can be decided that decision should probably be made.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 24 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #31

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

How 'bout one of those famous canyon runs up Mulholland Dr... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 24 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(bowlsby @ Jun 24 2004, 02:25 PM)
How 'bout one of those famous canyon runs up Mulholland Dr... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Bumper to Bumper - the demise of the Mulholland Racing Association
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 24 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #33

Born to Drive

I recall the drives through Temcula and they were quite fun. That is an option. I think many would like to do an AX event and so lets try to find out more information on the OC fairgrounds Or the retired military bases. I used to have a contact with the company that runs the fairgrounds, I set up a network for them about 8 years ago. I will see if they are still there. My father is a retired officer in the Navy and I will contact him and see if he can find out a contact for the El Toro Marine base or the Tustin Helo base. The mountain roads would be very cool but the traffic going up there would be a hindrence and if someone got carried away they could lose more than just thier car. I am looking at it from a safety aspect. 1000 foot cliffs make for some scary runs. We want people to be safe. Not saying that anyone here is stupid or crazy but accidents do happen. Let just make sure they dont happen to any of our members.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 24 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(skline @ Jun 24 2004, 02:46 PM)
I recall the drives through Temcula and they were quite fun. That is an option. I think many would like to do an AX event and so lets try to find out more information on the OC fairgrounds Or the retired military bases. I used to have a contact with the company that runs the fairgrounds, I set up a network for them about 8 years ago. I will see if they are still there. My father is a retired officer in the Navy and I will contact him and see if he can find out a contact for the El Toro Marine base or the Tustin Helo base. The mountain roads would be very cool but the traffic going up there would be a hindrence and if someone got carried away they could lose more than just thier car. I am looking at it from a safety aspect. 1000 foot cliffs make for some scary runs. We want people to be safe. Not saying that anyone here is stupid or crazy but accidents do happen. Let just make sure they dont happen to any of our members.

Are you speaking of - harruph - you and Howard in your V8s? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 24 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #35

Born to Drive

Well, I for one am not ready to go cliff diving in a 914. But even in my 4 cylinder car it got a little hairy out on the twisties a few times and my car was fully S optioned with very good tires. Not that everyone drives as insanely as I do. But I do love to go fast around the curves and I could see something tragic happening to an inexperienced driver. I am taking the rest of the night away from the board, The news about Chip has really got me down. I am just not in the mood for much right now. I will pick this back up tomorrow.
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Jun 24 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #36

Donkey Member

Member No.: 1,531

QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 24 2004, 03:23 PM)
what needs to happen is that we need to decide on SoCal or PacNW.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I'd also like to know what makes the WCC the WCC? If it's AXing then we need to find a spot and if it's not then we can at least host the WCC on a weekend that will also have an AX in the vicinity that is accessible to the public (if that's even possible). So was the WCC split between racers and non-racers? I didn't feel like it was but on these threads it does seems like an AX is the make it or break it. For me that weekend was about meeting members of the club and bonding with me son. It seems that the first hurdle to deal with is, do we even consider WCC2005 if an AX event is not possible.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 24 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #37

I think WCC was "The Full Package" which is what it should be IMHO. The more variety, the better attendance. My 2 cents.
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Jun 24 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #38

Donkey Member

Member No.: 1,531

QUOTE(skline @ Jun 24 2004, 04:13 PM)
The news about Chip has really got me down.

What happened?
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jun 24 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #39

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Check SAD NEWS ON BIRD BOARD thread.
CCL
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jun 24 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #40

neo life

Member No.: 159

Porsche or Historic automotive event that complements WCC. Examples historic races, Dunkle Bros., etc

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
If you want to expose the club, ride the coat tails. On the Friday before the Monterey Historics is an Italian car event. It started as a small free show but has grown into a entry fee Italian theme event and invites other marques with their own corral.
Dunkles in SoCal would be cool too.
Felix
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:55 AM