Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WCC 2005 Venue and Leadership?
lagunero
post Jun 24 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #41

Donkey Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,531

Thanks Boxstr.
Besides the rumors that there will not be another Dunkle's (although this time it maybe true), How many Dunkle events happen a year? Feb. maybe less attractive for out of towners. I like Slits & Co.'s idea of Speed Festival in May.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jun 24 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #42

These are the good old days!

Group: Members
Member No.: 37

It seems like finding a suitable AX event we can tag onto will determine where and when our event will be held so that is #1. Did anyone attend the Festival of Speed and did they have an actual AX. Parade laps during lunch break is not my idea of a track event. Does anyone know anything about the POA, and would they want us improving their get together? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I didn't attend this years event but from what I gather it would be best to keep all events in the same general area and avoid long drives between events. We could probably tag onto someones event at Streets of Willow but that is over a hour north of L.A. Is that too far? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 24 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #43

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

c'mon Drew, you know its about 2 hours north of LA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jun 24 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #44

I actually make it in 1 hr 10 mins. But I'm freeway close and I drive a race truck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 24 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #45

yeah, I was on the south side, so it took longer about 2 1/2 hours from Redondo.
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Jun 24 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #46

Donkey Member

Member No.: 1,531

drew365-you're right about parade laps not being a track event. It was offered more like the Laguna lap. Streets of Willow is a bit far if the rest is in LA let alone OC but Laguna Seca wasn't around the corner from the Pruneyard either. Funny thing is I enjoyed the drives between venues, but that was SJ/ So. SF not LA!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 24 2004, 08:43 PM
Post #47

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Just adding opinion.

I like SoCal for 05.

I like Portland with Parade in 06

I like the idea of "Festival of Speed" I'm pretty sure it wouldnt take much to talk the 914 guy who puts the event on (Ron Mistak) to also include a AUTOX. It would be pretty easy if we rounded up some local AutoX people to help organize it. The parking lot is PLENTY big and would give spectators something else to look at.

As far as fun runs go near Fontana..

You can run straight out and up to a ski resort not too far away. My dad lives in the Ontario area. I can volunteer him to help out the SoCal guy's. He is BIG TIME into SoCal street rodding and know's all the cool places/hangouts..

B
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 24 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #48

Mistak still has his 914. You know the GT1 looking 914.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 24 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #49

914 Freak!

His daughter runs her yellow 914 in AutoX (Ashley) and has done some track events with it.

B
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jun 24 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #50

Starting to sound like a plan.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 24 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #51

914 Freak!

Ron knows about the BBS as well as Ashley. I can quickly ask him if this idea is even feasible. I would bet they welcome the idea with open arms. I know Ron/Ashely run all the Diego/Qualcomm autoX's. The Festival of Speed would be "complete" at that point.

B
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jun 24 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #52

One of the POC members owns a great BBQ restaurant near CA Speedway. He'd probably love to have us hold a meeting there. Half the racers had dinner there during Tribute weekend.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jun 24 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #53

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

LA take it for 05.
CCLINOUTOFHERE
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jun 24 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #54

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

Don't forget besides insurance you also need Timing equipment to run a AX.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 24 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #55

914 Freak!

Correct about the timing equipment. We would probably partner with the Riverside group who already holds AutoX's. Timing equipment would be easy. The only drawback I can see: the AutoX couldnt be 914 only. They "local PCA region" probably wouldnt like the idea. So the approach would be: let us help put together a PCA AutoX for the Fontana event.

Just thinking out loud. Getting the ball rolling now would be good.

B
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 25 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #56

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

Ok Troops, I just got in from the Region 8 (Riverside) Board of Directors meeting. They WANT us to be part of their venue. At the meeting was a representative of the San Diego Region, who controls the Festival of Speed. The SD Region wants the Festival of Speed to become the premier Porsche event in the US (or world for that matter)

His input is that we need to confirm that we would do this and write up a proposal to be presented at the next SD Board Meeting. He futher added that the Festival has been in planning since the day after the last one. Further comments:

1. They are changing the venue to hold an AX in conjunction with the Festival of Speed. His concern was that the AX could total 200 cars. I told him we would not want to interfere and would like to hold our own under their sponsorship in the Front Parking lot in conjunction with theirs. That said, they would also like us to combine in their AX, but the runs might be limited. Riverside jumped and said we could rent timing equipment and they would participate in whatever manner they could.

2. The swap meet will no longer be under the Riverside Region due to a dismal turnout last year. Since Dunkles lost their property, THEY will be running the swap in conjunction with the Festival of Speed.

3. The "Parade laps" will be at lunch time both Saturday and Sunday and non PCA members are invited to join in (it will cost of course).

We have high interest from Riverside and can more than likely have the same from SD. When I mentioned that we had 74 Teeners, including the Alien and others, eyes lit up. Jeron coming from overseas was a boost too.

Twisty roads are available thru the mountains and other places.

My thoughts on a venue:
FRIDAY:
I entertained a venue of breakfast at ?? then a
twisty road tour that winds up at Bolsa Chica State Beach for an early afternoon/evening Beach Party.
Cook out in the fire pits that are available. Bonfires, etc..... Bratwurst and Dogs sounds good to me.

Saturday:
Festival of Speed AX, Parade Laps and Swap Meet

Sunday:
Festival of Speed Parade Laps, DD tech quiz and farewell party

Saturday and Sunday all depend upon which day they choose for the AX and Swap Meet.

Ok, I'm done for the night - NEED INPUT!!!!!

PS: We could cut it to two days. Nail this thread so I don't have to go looking for it - please!!!
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Jun 25 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #57

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

Slits,
excellent, EXCELLENT job! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
markb
post Jun 25 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #58

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Throwing in my .02 here. I wasn't able to be at this years event, so I'm chomping at the bit for the next one. 3 days seems short to me. Is there any way some minor stuff could be put together for thurs & mon? Doesn't even have to be a lot of driving involved, so long as 914 stories & lies can be shared. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 25 2004, 01:16 AM
Post #59

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(lagunero @ Jun 24 2004, 07:40 PM)
Funny thing is I enjoyed the drives between venues, but that was SJ/ So. SF not LA!

I enjoyed the drives between events too! But you are right about LA. Traffic blows chunks in So. Cal. if you plan on traveling any lenght of distance. Plus the drivers down here are real arrogant assholes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)

Ok, enough of that. I went to two of the Festival of Speed events. The laps around the track were great! They had one of the turns altered into a narrow and tight turn coned course. Thats where you either fell behind, went out of the cones, or had a blast squeling your tires with perma grin! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 25 2004, 07:33 AM
Post #60

Bolsa Chica State Beach is listed as being in Huntington Beach. This is 56 miles west of Fontana (51 miles on freeway) The park closes at 10pm if Daylight Savings is in effect, 8pm if not. This sounds cool. I like this idea. Fontana hotels will fill up very quickly with the Festival of Speed. Fontana isn't a very pretty city, it's very industrial. The sucky part of being part of FOS is being stuck in Fontana for 3 days. It would be nice if the HQ hotel could be at the beach. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The Portofino or Crown Plaza in Redondo Beach would be nice.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:47 PM