Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WCC 2005 Venue and Leadership?
Malmz
post Jun 25 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #61

CSOBOSC founding member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 602

Wish I could commit to helping at this point, but there are too many variables for me right now. Those who know me know I have organized a few loose fun runs in the past. I will gladly help with this, but can't commit at an official level.

I posted this before but I don't think it was heard. Irwindale Speedway is in the center of the LA area. PCA/OCR runs events there every couple months. These events are always limited to 50-60 cars (they can since they aren't points events) so they run well. They may very well be interested in doing a dedicated 914 event plus letting their instructors run or something similar, especially if it can be billed as an additional special event, their region can pocket a couple bucks, and it would help promote their region.

Irwindale is also very close to the Angelest Crest Hightway area, some of the best curvies in the world. Fontana is reachable w/i a 30-45 minute drive.

Mike Graf is in charge of PCA/OCR Autoxs.

I have never gone to a SD event, but I hear they are rough because the total number of cars. You get a few runs a day. When you run with OCR, you get about 2 twenty minute sessions in the morning and your timed laps in the afternoon all in small run groups (6-8 cars).

Their site is http://www.pcaocr.org/
There is a typical autox flier on page 17 on this edition of Pano and Mike's contact info if anybody wants to persue it: http://www.pcaocr.org/pdf/2004_June.pdf

HTH,
sm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 25 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #62

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

The drawback to having a hotel in Redondo would be the distance and traffic involved trying to get to Fontana. The trip would be straight out the 10 but that is really not a very pleasant drive expecially in traffic. The problem with Fontana is the gang activity there. I know several cops that work that area and they dont even like patrolling Fontana. They say it is too dangerous. I would suggest a hotel in Like San Dimas or an area like that, or if you all like the beach area, Huntington and Sunset have some nice hotels. The drive to Fontana if its going to be 2 of the days, would be better and closer from like San Dimas or even Chino, somewhere in that area. Fontana is not a good choice for overnight stay.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 25 2004, 09:10 AM
Post #63

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

The hotels I am speaking about are around the Airport in Ontario (Haven Ave or Archibald / I-10), etc. Reason I even think of it is lots of hotels and lots of restaurants - also clost to Ontario Mills Mall (Gameworks, places to spend money, theatres, food, etc.)

Now it is close to Fontana, but I would think with the high volume of traffic, "gang" activity would be limited. And for that matter, damn near any city you go into has gang activity, so it is difficult to isolate yourself.

I like the idea of the hotel at the Beach. The drive to Fontucky on a Saturday/Sunday would not be that bad (certainly less hassle than on a weekday).

So, the idea is presented - figure out where in the hell you/everyone would like to have the headquarters and start talking to them.

I will be typing up a proposal to the SD Board about joining them for the Festival of Speed unless there is an objection to tying into that event.

Let's roll for 2005. Time is wasting.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 25 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #64

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

just cause I'm a pain in the ass. Ontario in the spring is windy as hell, not much to see there either...unless we take a tour of the Porsche Cars North America West Coast Parts Distribution Center. They did that in 01 (?) with the Gran Prix region of PCA, it was pretty cool.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 25 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #65

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Is it time to move this discussion to the Events thread?

Just asking, don't shoot me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 25 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #66

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

It seems like a direction is on it's way.

Howard, are you the leader? Slits? Who's gonna be the bus driver?
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 25 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #67

Professional Lawn Dart

Member No.: 219

i agree, fontana isnt the best place to stay overnight. in ontario, ive seen the massive wharehouse for porsche goods. that would be a fun tour!
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 25 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #68

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

ontario is a hell hole. there's nothing nice about it. it smells like cows when the wind blows. it's far from everything, except the local mountains. which are only 10 miles away, but you can't seem them because of all the smog. redlands might not be such a bad idea though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jun 25 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #69

CSOBOSC founding member

Just Suggestions:

If you are looking at Ontario (and there are plenty of nice areas around there...)

- Ontario Mills Mall has plenty of resturants, parking, etc.
http://www.allaboutthefun.com/ALLABOUTTHEF...ario_Mills.html
EDIT: BETTER LINK: http://ontariomillsmall.com

- There is a very reasonable and nice Country Suites on the Mall Grounds with meeeting rooms, etc.
http://www.ayreshotel.com/ontariomills/

- It is very close to Ontario International Airport, big flights in, without the big airport PITA.

You could even do a rim of the world drive starting from around that area and go up to Big Bear or something similar.

This would also be a reasonable drive to Fontana or even Irwindale.

IMHO, the beach cities are great, but they are too far away from most other event locations.

sm
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 25 2004, 11:07 AM
Post #70

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 25 2004, 06:33 AM)
Bolsa Chica State Beach is listed as being in Huntington Beach. This is 56 miles west of Fontana (51 miles on freeway) The park closes at 10pm if Daylight Savings is in effect, 8pm if not. This sounds cool. I like this idea. Fontana hotels will fill up very quickly with the Festival of Speed. Fontana isn't a very pretty city, it's very industrial. The sucky part of being part of FOS is being stuck in Fontana for 3 days. It would be nice if the HQ hotel could be at the beach.  :)  The Portofino or Crown Plaza in Redondo Beach would be nice.

Fontana sucks! Ontario is only 15 minute drive from fontana. Plus you can go from Ontario Mills mall (about minutes from airport) and take the surface street it is on, 4th street, and that will take you straight to California speedway!

Ontario is more senic and has tons of stuff to do! Plus lots of lodging.

Redlands is expensive!
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jun 25 2004, 11:08 AM
Post #71

CSOBOSC founding member

One more add to that:

There is a Dave and Busters at the Mills too. For those not familiar, this is a massive resturant with huge arcade with games and simulators. Full bar too... Separate party rooms, buffets for groups, etc. It would be a blast. They often have about 10 sit down race car video games linked together where everybody can race each other. They specialize in large event get-togethers.

http://www.daveandbusters.com

sm
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 25 2004, 11:13 AM
Post #72

Shit.......
There is a Comedy Club, a multiple screen movie theather plus a 3d theater across the street, Game Works, 2 major restraunts in the Mills, plus Red Lobster, Chevy's, Olive Garden right across the street, plus Van's Skateboard Park................................
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jun 25 2004, 11:13 AM
Post #73

CSOBOSC founding member

Damn you guys! I'm trying to get my work done so I can go wakeboarding this weekend and I keep thinking of things!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Rim of the world. Starting points would be 10 minutes from Ontario Mills. Better for a Friday event though...

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Rim.htm

sm
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 25 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #74

QUOTE(glstrojan @ Jun 25 2004, 09:43 AM)
ontario is a hell hole. there's nothing nice about it. it smells like cows when the wind blows. it's far from everything, except the local mountains. which are only 10 miles away, but you can't seem them because of all the smog. redlands might not be such a bad idea though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Riverside and Fontana smell like cows iand had bad smog n the summer because of the wind.

But the Santa Anna winds blow it right back on top of LA in the fall. (no winter in So. Cal.!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 25 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #75

QUOTE(Malmz @ Jun 25 2004, 10:13 AM)
Rim of the world. Starting points would be 10 minutes from Ontario Mills. Better for a Friday event though...

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Rim.htm

sm

True, Espically friday day! Weekend traffic is very slow because of the flatlanders. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Ok, i'll let you get back to work now. Guess I better too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 25 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #76

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

Well, it looks like we have a place to start. Ontario is looking pretty good and there are some very good points. As for the wind, I dont recall it ever being as windy as 3Com park was the day of the AX. I also think its time to put this thread into the planning thread or create a new one there. I vote Slits to head up this thing, I and Howard and others will join in. We can meet in there and get this thing going and have it all done in a few days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Ok, well, at least get it going in one direction anyway.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jun 25 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #77

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Gangs, flatlanders,Malls,smog,smells like cows, windy, hell hole. Gee sounds like fun, I can hardly wait (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) .
CCLINWCC2005
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 25 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #78

Southern California WCC 2005 Meeting

Ok, after PM communication between Slits, Howard, SCOTT, drew365, and myself, it has been agreed for a discussion/planning meeting.

Although no formal date has been agreed upon, I will throw one out here for anyone who would like to participate.

Saturday July 10th at 11:00 am.
419 N Fairfax Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036-1799
Phone: (323) 651-2030
*about 2 blocks from the Petersons Auto Museum*

If there is any problems with the date, time, or meeting location, please post it here. I would like to work out something so that everyone who will be participating can attend.

Toast

p.s. How is the So. Cal. team doing so far? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 25 2004, 11:32 AM
Post #79

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 25 2004, 09:16 AM)

Riverside and Fontana smell like cows and have bad smog in the summer because of the wind.

But the Santa Anna winds blow it right back on top of LA in the fall. (no winter in So. Cal.!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

you forgot about norco and corona. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

not that anyone cares, but ontario would be very convenient for me because i still own my cabin in big bear. but, overall, it's not the best looking place to visit in so. cal. i wouldn't exactly call it the vacation capitol of the world. i still reserve that term for bakersfield. but to each his own.
what about big bear lake? it's just up the hill from fontana. and i dont think anyone would complain about the scenic drive up and down the mountain.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 25 2004, 11:34 AM
Post #80

QUOTE(boxstr @ Jun 25 2004, 10:30 AM)
Gangs, flatlanders,Malls,smog,smells like cows, windy, hell hole. Gee sounds like fun, I can hardly wait (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) .
CCLINWCC2005

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Oh, come on CCLIN. You know you wont even notice any of that stuff durring the WCC. Besides, if you live in Palm Desert, you know all of this already. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 08:10 PM