Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DP 914- What does it take?, Spinning this off from Nat Thread..
grantsfo
post Jul 22 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #21

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

Based on what I see running in GP I would focus on that class. DP would be very hard class to go after in a 914.

I would also say you would want to spend money on lightest bodywork available and work on weight distribution (target 50/50 - you wont get there put target that) with balast and chassis stiffing (chassis stiffing every where!) Keep all the reinforcments low and use them as balast as well), lots of focus on installing real suspension (a real suspension costs money, hard mounts with monoballs, and exploit the rules) , remove all excess rotating weight. Work on getting enter of gravity as low as possible(Remove windshield, get all top side weight off the car, fuelcell mounted low, battery on floor, etc), Then build motor to limit of the specs that can rev to 8000 RPM for short periods of time. 150 to 175 HP with decent torque curve. Work on gearing to assure you can pull second gear on national like courses.

Tires? If you are stuck with 7 inch wheels thats an issue for the 914 as your stuck with harder compound Hoosier or Good Year canti's in 15 inch size. I think Canti is only real option if 7 inch wheel restriction is part of GP. You wont get a skinny A6 or a non canti slick to stick as well on 7 inch wheels. Beg and plead with some other 914 guys to get Hoosier to make a batch of 25 b compound 15 inch cantis.

To give you a sense how slow national level GP cars are I beat 3rd place Nationals podium GP car from last years nationals by 3 seconds in my 3500 lb Nissan Street car at San Diego this year. Thats dang slow. LOL!

This post has been edited by grantsfo: Jul 22 2011, 01:35 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 22 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #22

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 22 2011, 12:18 PM) *

Based on what I see running in GP I would focus on that class. DP would be very hard class to go after in a 914.

I would also say you would want to spend money on lightest bodywork available and work on weight distribution (target 50/50 - you wont get there put target that) with balast and chassis stiffing (chassis stiffing every where!) Keep all the reinforcments low and use them as balast as well), lots of focus on installing real suspension (a real suspension costs money, hard mounts with monoballs, and exploit the rules) , remove all excess rotating weight. Work on getting enter of gravity as low as possible(Remove windshield, get all top side weight off the car, fuelcell mounted low, battery on floor, etc), Then build motor to limit of the specs that can rev to 8000 RPM for short periods of time. 150 to 175 HP with decent torque curve. Work on gearing to assure you can pull second gear on national like courses.

Tires? If you are stuck with 7 inch wheels thats an issue for the 914 as your stuck with harder compound Hoosier or Good Year canti's in 15 inch size. I think Canti is only real option if 7 inch wheel restriction is part of GP. You wont get a skinny A6 or a non canti slick to stick as well on 7 inch wheels. Beg and plead with some other 914 guys to get Hoosier to make a batch of 25 b compound 15 inch cantis.

To give you a sense how slow national level GP cars are I beat 3rd place Nationals podium GP car from last years nationals by 3 seconds in my 3500 lb Nissan Street car at San Diego this year. Thats dang slow. LOL!

Yeah, but that class will grow and there will be people in there with nice cars and drivers who can drive them. My codriver has the potential and if I keep at it I think I stand a good shot as well. DP just doesn't make sense with what is there now. GP is a good target.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 05:12 AM