Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ride height, Is there a right way to set it?
qa1142
post Jun 30 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Whiplash

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,140

Ok, so my 30 year old springs we a little droopy in the rear. I took 2 turns out of each front torsion bar adjusters.

Car looks closer to level, still drives good, but measure ground to wheel well and I am not even side to side.

Where should I be measuring ride height? Is there a right way?

Does anyone bother to do this on scales to set the "tweak" like on my Radio Controlled cars? Does that matter for daily driver?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
Joe Ricard
post Jun 30 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #2

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Ride heigth is always important. so is spacers under the rack to keep tie rods at the right angle. new springs and shocks are always a good idea. Match to what you intend to use the car for. ie. don't get 180lb rear springs for the street. match the torsion bars to the springs.

Corner balance is only necessary if you drive it like you stole it. (only way to drive these cars).

Then after all that is done a good alignment will go a long way to drivability. Autocross, road race, and street driven would require different settings.

When you are ready someone here can get you the settings. Man I didn't think I had that much hot air in me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 30 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

measure from the top of the wheel arch, in the center. The front to back will be different, not much you can do about that. The adjustment knobs should be use to get it close to perfect.

Asside from that. Do what Joe said.

Andrew
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 30 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you want to set to factory, it's in the Haynes Manual.

Measure from center line of wheel to ground is dimension "A"

Measure from center closing cover on torsion bar to ground and this is dimension "B"

A - B = 90 mm

+/- 5 mm difference between sides is maximum.

If you want it lower, just set it where you want it. The rack must be raised with spacers to keep the tie rods parallel to the ground or you get "bump steer"
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 1 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I suggest measuring from a suspension mounting point on the chassis. Fenders can get tweaked fairly easily--if the suspension mounting point moves everything is hosed anyway...

The factory measurement results in a really high tip-toe 914. I feel the cars should be set up as high or as low as the owner likes. I think it's preferable not to go any lower than having the A-arms and the trailing arms parallel to the ground, but if you like it lower...

--DD (who is too keyed up to sleep!!)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:46 AM