Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Soft brake line replacement, Engine out?
Eric_Shea
post Aug 28 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #21

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You "need" to replace them at this point.

I always use a MAPP torch and a flare wrench at that union to get those apart. It usually spares what you just went through.

***WORD OF CAUTION THOUGH*** a MAPP torch can quickly "cherry" your lines. They are rather thin walled and they can glow red hot in a few seconds with a MAPP torch.

1. Don't try wrenching them apart until it cools a tad.
2. If you're planning on keeping the hardlines, WATCH THE LINE as you turn the 11mm male end. Very often the male end and the line have become rusted together (the torch helps here as well) and you will see the line "twist" as you turn the 11mm end. You might be able to get away with it if you catch a small twist before it busts loose but... I'd write that line off in the name of saving your life somewhere down the road (literally).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swl
post Aug 28 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

Thanks all. The hardlines are being replaced. Bending up the new ones. Quite an art to that particularly when there are changes in plane. Hand eye coordination was never my strong suit.

Mapp info noted Eric. I'll give that a go on the rears when the time comes. Won't waste much time with it though - if it won't go then I'll just take the hardlines with the soft. I did sense that "twist" you are talking about when I started one of the nuts but it popped almost immediately. It wouldn't take a lot of twist to weaken that line.
+Quote Post
Ductech
post Aug 31 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 11,949
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 28 2011, 10:29 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Replace the hard lines.

I usually break those flare nuts free using... *GASP* ViceGrips. Gotta get them really tight the first time. Gotta bounce/surge by applying short bursts of pressure. I never simply push hard..harder..harder. The surging is the key. I've used this technique on TONS of brake lines and have never damaged a flare nut. There is absolutely a risk in using this technique, but if applied correctly, it works.

McMark Praise the unsung glory of the ViceGrips!!!
+Quote Post
swl
post Sep 10 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

The front soft/hardline replacement was a real 'adventure'. Now it is time for the rears. It has been suggested that removing the softlines with the engine still in will be a PITA. Looking at it there certainly is not a lot of room when doing the inboard end. I don't want to spend hours messing around cursing only to decide the engine has to come out. The engine will be coming out at some point to put my 1911 into this chassis but that is quite a ways away.

So - who has done it with the engine in place? How did it go?
+Quote Post
trfrick
post Sep 10 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #25

Long Time Listener First Time Caller

Member No.: 12,113
Region Association: Northern California

I did it with the engine in and it is deffinately the tougher way to go. If you can wait until you are going to pull the engine your life will be much easier.

Trying to fit the new hard lines back on the proportioning valve is the hardest part. To see how hard this will be try to loosen the hardline for the porpotioning valve first.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 10 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #26

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

So - who has done it with the engine in place? How did it go?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Difficult but doable.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:32 PM