Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In Search of …, Does the Grasshopper exist?
Part Pricer
post Jul 4 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

First off, let me state my position. After some research, I have become extremely skeptical that the 914 Limited Edition Grasshopper ever really existed. Believe me, I would like its existence to be true, but I’ve uncovered no evidence that it is anything other than a 914 myth. Yes, many have recollections of witnessing a Grasshopper, but nobody can provide irrefutable proof.

Here are some of the items that may indicate the existence of the elusive Grasshopper. (Many of them lifted from Jeff’s site. Thanks Jeff, we’ll get to the bottom of this.) However, most of them are apocryphal.

…there may be a Porsche 914 advertisement, displaying all three 914 Porsche Limited Edition car color schemes, or possibly a 914 Limited Edition Grasshopper poster.

This may be perhaps the greatest manufactured memory in popular 914 culture. There are a lot of people that will tell you that they “kinda remember that”, but no one is able to present a copy of the ad or poster. I have had the opportunity to have an in-person discussion with Prescott Kelly regarding the items in question. Prescott is one of the leading authorities and collectors of Porsche memorabilia. He has no recollection of any advertisement showing all three or just a white and green car.

The IAA was followed in October 1973 by the Paris Salon where the company Karmann showed two particularly striking 914s. From these emerged the custom version 914 GT which was marketed in the USA as a limited edition. The striking paintwork was black with yellow bumpers, sills, side stripes, wheels, lower rear panel closure and front spoiler. An alternative version combined light ivory with green or orange.

This is taken directly from the Porsche website. This is the closest we have to actual confirmation that the Grasshopper even existed. I’ve contacted people at Porsche, PCNA, and even Osnabrück. No one has been able to confirm the production of a green/white LE.

Rich Bontempi, the highly-regarded Northern California 914 enthusiast with 30 years of 914 experience, only recalls seeing two.

Rich, I know you are here. Can you provide any specifics on these cars?

The 700 Tips book specifies that the green accent paint color on the Grasshopper cars is Lime Green (6710 or 226)

I don’t have this book, so I am unsure of the context in which this phrase is presented. I’ve tried to contact AA with no luck. Is George stating that he knows for a fact that there are Grasshoppers?

Without further evidence, I’m ready to chalk up the Grasshopper as 914 mythology. Kind of like our own little urban legend. However, I am willing to be swayed from my position. Things that would help to change my mind include:
  • A car
  • A copy of the advertisement(s)
  • A COA showing an LE with a unique color code
  • A green Mahle wheel (if there was a Grasshopper, there has to be one of these around somewhere)
Does anyone have some tangible evidence?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 4 2004, 01:19 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Jul 4 2004, 10:19 AM)
  • A copy of the advertisement(s)
  • A COA showing an LE with a unique color code

there's a lot of things i've never seen but the CanAm period of the LE is when i first started getting interested in Porsches and i did a lot of reading. there were a lof of 914's in San Diego. i've never seen a Grasshopper.

let me suggest that only documentation traceable to a factory (Porsche or Karmann) is really going to be suitable. anybody with a spray gun and a pint of green paint can 'create' a Grasshopper, if it were to float one's boat. it may well be that some individual thought the color combination looked cool and made one up.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jul 4 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4

someone on this BBS said their GF's friend had one back in the 70's.

as you say, I too "think" I have seen the ad with all 3 cars. the one place it could have been was a mid 80's automotion catalog.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jul 4 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

OK, here's a story. Last week I drove to Tacoma, WA to see a 356 that is for sale. It was being stored in the basement of an auto repair shop (very 50's looking place). While looking at the 356, with the shop owner present, I noticed a "creamsicle" stored there among other collectible cars. I asked him about it and he said a "dentist" customer had left it for work some time ago. The car looked very complete and original. I proceeded to share my 914 "wisdom" with the shop owner, telling him the car was called a "creamsicle" and then described a "bumble bee" and a "grasshopper". He said, "Oh yeh, I've seen one of those (grasshopper). He said the same dentist once had one which his daughter drove. I did not buy the 356 (yet), but left a card and told him to let the owner know that I would be interested in his LE if he wanted to sell. Doubt I'll hear anything, but I plan to follow up and see if I can get the Dr's phone number. If I succeed I'll try to buy his ivory/orange car and quiz him about the elusive "grasshopper" as well.
Guess you'd say I only have "hearsay" evidence at this point. I hope to get direct testimony.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 4 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #5

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I had one, or at least a car that was an LE, and had green trim, was painted blue within the month.

There were at least 3 around Atlanta when I lived there, including that one... afair.

M
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 4 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #6

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It's called "Grassquatch" and our friends in Michigan are hot on the heels of one. It's been seen but not photographed.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jul 5 2004, 05:51 AM
Post #7

I am familiar with the "Legend of Grassquatch". Hopefully, the Michigan crew can turn up some concrete evidence. Same to you Jim, we need proof. Good luck to you all.

And Miles...well he's Miles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

This just goes back to my original point. After years of searching for proof of a Grasshopper, the best we have been able to uncover is anecdotal information.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 5 2004, 06:23 AM
Post #8

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I just looked in my copy of "The 914 & 914/6 Porsche A Restorer's Guild to Authenticity" on page 8,

"The bumpers, valances, rocker panels, and wheel center were painted yellow (black exteriors), green or orange (white exteriors)."

It also says green on page 20.

The only pictures are of LE Bumble bees. No greens.

Paul
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 5 2004, 06:31 AM
Post #9

****************************************************************************************************

In the book "Porsche 914 914-6" by Brian Long it lists black/yellow, orange/white and green/white, but again only pics of the Bee and an early orange/white.

The plot thickens.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jul 5 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Paul is you last name Heery or Hearsay? sorry couldn't help myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) What about the "green" Negative stripe stickers? I assume Porsche sold them back in the day?
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jul 5 2004, 07:18 AM
Post #11

Hummel eigentümer

Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

Ok I was too young to buy a car in the 70's (I feel a little better about my age), but when I bout my first new car in 1990, the dealer had a brochure that had nice pictures of all modles and coror. I woiuld assume Porsche dealers would also have this brochure, I cant see someone buying a new car without seeing some kind of a photo? It would be the same as a dealer saying we have blue ones. Maybe if we call the local Porsche dealers that have been around awhile to see if they have any? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Jul 5 2004, 07:19 AM
Post #12

914 Historian

Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I had a copy of the page in a Porsche-Audi newsletter to the dealers that introduced the LE's. It stated in the text that it was a limited edition of 1000 cars and was only in the two combinations. At that point P-A did not contemplate the 3rd combo. I am firmly of the opinion that the grasshopper was a 'homebrew'. A COA showing the unique color code would convince me, nothing else.

Yes, there was a wide range of negative stripes available including green and gold. It would have been easy to color match the stripe to do the other parts. Perhaps that is where George got his color number from. But it is not a 914 color, and would not have been used by Karmann and they made the cars.

A real grasshopper would have been rather pretty. It would have sold rather well. I've looked at a lot of LE's and never seen a green one. There is no good reason for them to be rare if they were factory produced.

Just my very humble opinion, of course.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 5 2004, 07:39 AM
Post #13

rich herzog

QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Jul 5 2004, 05:18 AM)
I would assume Porsche dealers would also have this brochure, I cant see someone buying a new car without seeing some kind of a photo?

the problem is, like most manufacturers of stuff, Porsche has "announced" stuff that never made it into production. we've all seen the pictures of the apocryphal 914.4 Sportomatic.

so you can imagine an "artists' conception" illustration. it's even possible it's one of those bizarre bodywork "camoflage" deals they slap onto cars to "disguise" them from the spy photo blokes on their road tests.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 5 2004, 07:56 AM
Post #14

rich herzog

EWE:2 Volume 2 lists only the black/yellow and white/red color selections.

i don't have ,,das Groβe 914 Buch'' (yet) so someone (Andy?) who does may be able to provide some additional insights...
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jul 5 2004, 08:01 AM
Post #15

The German-only text Das Grosse VW Porsche Buch does not mention the existence of the Light Ivory / Green cars, nor does the 914 GT poster, which is completely justifiable because the 914 GT Grasshopper cars were not to be produced for Europe...

That is from Jeff's site.
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Jul 5 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 283

This is the only Grashopper I could find... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 5 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #17

There was also the "Fudgesicle".

White with brown.

Very, Very rare. They didn't sell many because the owners complained that they ran like shit...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jul 5 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 5 2004, 10:42 AM)
There was also the "Fudgesicle".

White with brown.

Very, Very rare. They didn't sell many because the owners complained that they ran like shit...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Paul

Very funny! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I just spit lemonade out my nose. Damn, that hurt!
+Quote Post
Martin Baker
post Jul 5 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #19

I just heard I sold my cars!

Member No.: 290
Region Association: Northern California

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 5 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #20

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Nice thread Paul...I come back from a weekend away..to one of my favorite subjects... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I have been pondering 'Grasshoppers' recently...I sometimes wish we had called them 'Limesicles...in the theme of the 'Creamsicles'...but whatever...

The most convincing evidence we have for the existence of the Grasshopper is that clear description on the Porsche.com website. Its the P-Factories official website and I would think that it would be accurate. EWE and the other books...I cannot be certain of where they get their information and I have found other faults in each of them. Some of them may just be repeating drivel from other erroneous sources, so to me they are not completely irrefutable.

DaveP, I would love to see a copy of the PA newsletter proclaiming the 1000 offering, I haven't seen that before. Can you please scan that and email it to me or post it here? There are other sources that indicate 1500 total, but I too think that 1000 is the accurate total for the LE cars. Your newsletter would be a great authentication point.

The other compelling evidence is the preponderance of qualified 914-Guru-level people who say they have seen one or more. Its hard to dispute the collective clout of the Most Knowledgable Ones among us.

Its certainly possible that the Grasshoppers could have been fabricated...but why only White/Green imposters? Why have several cars that everyone seems to remember from several distant parts of the country only been white/green? If they were fabricated, why was not some other color combo used? Black/Gold, Black/Green? White/Gold? Its always only been White/Green...but I am with y'all in wanting proof...

There are other reasons I just thought of that a dishonest dealer would not have fabricated them...to do it right, they would have cost too much. A 914 LE car came fully decked-out with goodies...optional goodies that cost lots of money...availabel as a package from teh factory at a special low price when bought as an LE car. ALL 1974 USA 914s came with Targa bar vinyl. So for a dealer to have made the conversion, they would have had to have a white, fully-loaded 914 car, then stripped and repainted the Targa bar, added the VOA stripes, front valence and any other 'missing' LE items. And then sold the cars at a loss. And any dealer that did it would have had to only make them as white/greeen cars. Seems unlikely to me. I dont think there were many Factory Grasshoppers made, but I think there were some...

I remain hopeful that there were in fact a few authentic Grasshopper cars...for the above two reasons...in support of the factory webpage and the collective testimony of reputable people. But irrefutable proof could only be in the form of a bonafide COA with a verifiable color code. Even a found car would not be sufficent by itself, as it could have been fabricated, but it would be quick work to get the COA as proof with a found car. I have tried to verify the color code independently but do not have access to factory books that might indicate the correct code. U1V9 and U2V9 were the Bumblebee and Creamsicle codes...I speculate that Grasshopper cars might be U3V9 but have not found supporting documentation. Anyone?

My website details the saga of the side stripes. But to summarize, the 914 LE cars were the ONLY 914 to receive factory-applied side stripes. Volkswagen of America created and packaged negative side stripes in Yellow, Orange, Green, Gold, and Black. I own both the yellow and green VOA stripes. They are on 3M vinyl (an American company) and were packaged in the USA. The 3M yellow in VOA packaging is not the same color as the Sunflower Yellow on my original Bumblebee stripes. In short I believe that the factory made up 1000 sets of side stripes and then installed them at Osnabruek and that VOA made up some aftermarket stripes and sold them through dealers as 'accesories'. The factory-mounted LE side stripes and the VOA side stripes are not the same...and I doubt Karmann would have bought stripes from an American company.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:06 AM