Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calypso Restoration Thread, Need Wiring Snorkel Help!
nathansnathan
post May 15 2012, 09:14 AM
Post #89

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 7 2011, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 6 2011, 07:21 PM) *

I called Porsche and told them I had a 98 code, they called back and told me it was a 99 paint code. No further response.

IIRC 98 was the code for any other Porsche color offered from any model year, & 99 was for a customer selected color (i.e.: "one off's").

Call them back at PCNA & see if they have any record of the actual paint color on the Kardex record under that 99.

I thought I'd read that 98 was the "paint to sample" and that 99 was were you used a porsche color from, say, a 911. Silver green metallic was a 911 color from 74-77, here on a 76 912, though it looks a little more blue in the pic.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.912registry.org-11782-1337094859.1.jpg)

I think "ice green metallic" and "silver green metallic" are the same, the german is something like "Silbergruen Diamante" (sometimes you see it translated as "silver green diamond metallic".

Here's Ferry Porsche's 73 Carrera Rs (though they didn't apparently offer that color in 73?)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-11782-1337094861.2.jpg)

for comparison
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-11072-1313292204.jpg)

76 911s in ice green metallic
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image9.autorevo.com-11782-1337094861.3.jpg)

77 targa ice green
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-11782-1337094861.4.jpg)

another
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-11782-1337094862.5.jpg)

76, also ice green
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-11782-1337094862.6.jpg)

In some lights it looks silver, sometimes more green. Awesome color for a 914, though, especially with the tan interior.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 17 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #90

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

New used pressure plate (the old one was really warped!) and cleaned up engine:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jamie
post May 17 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

I think you will be glad that you've apparently decided to keep the car, and regardless of condition, there is always something that needs to be tinkered with on a 914! Yours is too nice and too clean to be a normal barn find, and workin' and runnin' will be the best medicine for you both, especially since you have some experience working on her. My all original 73 with 52K keeps me busy in between club runs, and now that you have the motor out take care of all the rust you can find. Rust never sleeps, and it doesn't get any better by itself. You'll sleep better knowing you've killed some unseen rust! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 15 2012, 09:43 AM
Post #92

Professional Enthusiast

Engine ready to go back in!

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 30 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #93

Professional Enthusiast

I finished Installing the engine along with the newly painted tins and started her up. There were a few problems; first, the accelerator cable had broken, and was very difficult to remove (I ended up cutting the shank off the cable to remove). To install the new cable I cut 1/4" off the end of the cable and it slid in with much less difficulty. The length is almost too short, but is workable.

Second, the oil pressure idiot light was not turning on with the engine not running. The switch had stopped working. I removed it and polished the contacts and it worked again, but its time to order one from pelican.

Also, one of the fuel injectors was leaking from the injector body itself. The leak eventually stopped, but I ordered 4 NOS injectors from Otto's in California anyways.

Last weekend I drove the car to Porsche's 2 Ohio in Granville. A total of 600 miles or so and it ran without a hiccup. The E-brake seems a bit loose though, so that will need a checkup soon.

Now Pictures.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 30 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #94

Professional Enthusiast

I ended up putting the original transmission mounts back in, they looked like they weren't broken, but they are MUCH more pliable than the 911 motor mounts I have on my other transmission. Should I swap the 911 mounts in for the old stock mounts? The car seems to drive and shift fine.

Pictures are of the stock mounts.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Jul 30 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

Your engine looks great. You should get a yellow bosch sticker for your coil the next time you order from aa, just because it would look cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 30 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #96

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jul 30 2012, 08:43 PM) *

Your engine looks great. You should get a yellow bosch sticker for your coil the next time you order from aa, just because it would look cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks a ton! I will order one stat!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 3 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #97

Professional Enthusiast

Just put some new fuel injectors in. One old one had a leak(that stopped eventually) but I feel much better with new equipment in there now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Just in time for the BBQ at Garold's this weekend!

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 4 2012, 07:01 AM
Post #98

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

did you replace the trans mounts? they were prob more pliable because they were torn up.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 4 2012, 07:34 AM
Post #99

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 4 2012, 09:01 AM) *

did you replace the trans mounts? they were prob more pliable because they were torn up.

The old ones are still in. I looked closely and didn't see anything that looked like a structural tear. THere were some small tears (arrowed)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 11 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #100

Professional Enthusiast

I spent most of the day today detailing the exterior. I washed it, went over it with a clay bar, then went over it with a light buffing compound before using a polishing compound and lastly some caranuba wax.

I did everything by hand, and I had no idea how much work I was getting myself into. I took a bunch of before and after pictures, but the difference just doesn't show up in pictures, so I'll only be posting the after photos.

Smooth as glass!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 11 2012, 08:14 PM
Post #101

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

That is an awesome color!
+Quote Post
turk22
post Aug 11 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #102

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The car looks great! I like the work you did with the engine, I may have to pick your brain, because I think my car's engine is going to need a similar refresh, and it really looks like you did a great job. I think the 600 miles is testament to that.

Turk
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 12 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #103

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(turk22 @ Aug 11 2012, 10:35 PM) *

The car looks great! I like the work you did with the engine, I may have to pick your brain, because I think my car's engine is going to need a similar refresh, and it really looks like you did a great job. I think the 600 miles is testament to that.

Turk

The work I did was all topical. I didnt touch the engine internals, just cleaned repaired and replaced - something that needed to be done badly after 20 years of storage.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 25 2013, 02:31 PM
Post #104

Professional Enthusiast

So I was running through some of the service history on Calypso this morning and decided to do a Google search on the dealer that sold the car originally TNM Lathrop Porsche-Audi. Turns out it closed its doors permanently in 1989, but more interesting the search brought up a few results from The Day newspaper from New London, CT. Long story short, I was browsing through the paper and hit the classifieds.

Bingo: 1974 2.0 Litre. Ice Green Metallic, beige leatherette Interior, 5 speed.

Its dated the right year, from the right dealer and describes my car perfectly, further confirmation that the original color is Ice Green Metallic!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 25 2013, 03:06 PM
Post #105

Member No.: 73

That's a one in a million find...nice work internet stalking your teener!!! The odds of that NOT being yours are more than one in a million. They didn't have too many special order Ice Green Metallic '74s. Counting yours I've only seen one.
+Quote Post
turk22
post Mar 25 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #106

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725

That's pretty amazing, now see what you can do finding any history on my car!
Cause I'm not having any luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 25 2013, 04:17 PM
Post #107

Professional Enthusiast

The crazy part is I also have been stalking the original owner to pump him for some more info. I'm to the point where I have his name, age, where he went to college, did his residency, and where he worked up to 2008, but nothing after that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Mar 25 2013, 08:53 PM
Post #108

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 25 2013, 02:17 PM) *

The crazy part is I also have been stalking the original owner to pump him for some more info. I'm to the point where I have his name, age, where he went to college, did his residency, and where he worked up to 2008, but nothing after that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Luckily, my car came with all of the service history. The original owner's name is Hal Holt, and it was clear from the records that he was in the Air Force for most of the time that he owned the car. It spent time in Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and finally back to Minnesota, where he is from. It took about 2 minutes on google to find his number. I called and left a message. Didn't hear anything for a week, and then he called me back. We talked for about an hour. It was his first new car, and he bought it while he was a cadet at the Air Force Academy. It really was great to hear his stories about the car, and he seemed very happy to find out that it is in good hands now. He is a pilot for Delta/Northwest now, and I have promised him a drive if he ever has a lay-over in Cinci.

Hope you can find a number for the original owner. Talking with Hal made me love my car that much more.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 04:41 PM