Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calypso Restoration Thread, Need Wiring Snorkel Help!
mepstein
post Jan 29 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #141

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Bob saved Huey from this -

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 29 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #142

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Oh dude.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) First do your home work. The appraiser will not have a clue on how to value the car. Don't start appraiser bashing guys. It's really not their fault. They are given a set of tools to use and are forced into a set of metrics that require them to try to settle on the spot. ( they are scored by their closing ratio).

If it takes all night find three cars that are selling in the high 20k's They are out there.

Present the comps to the appraiser. Get estimates or choose a shop you can trust and either drive the car there or have it delivered and have the appraiser meet you at the shop if you can. That fender is repairable and with the right technic the repair can be undetectable from the inside or the outside.

Here's how you want to repair it. Post # 122

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4128&st=120

With that color the car will need to be zone painted to get a match. The shop had better plan on spending some serious time shooting test panels. Tell them not to be shy about charging or arrogant about their ability. The color will be a challenge for the best of the best.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 29 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #143

914-6 GT in waiting

to this -
Your car will be saved and maybe better than before.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 29 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #144

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Oh! before you dig into the stripe take a tracing off of the one on your car. Take the tracing to your local vinyl cutter. You can have the exact cut and placement if you take good measurements. That's what I did for 7 of 9.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4128&st=160
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Jan 30 2015, 01:03 AM
Post #145

Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 7 2011, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 7 2011, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 6 2011, 07:25 PM) *

Take the money and run. But if you do, I'll wager it's a car you'll always wish you had back.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the latter, keep it, enjoy it, clean it up, then if you must - sell it later for an over $20k offer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom makes a good point. The unique beauty, rarity and desirability of your car make it a great candidate for a high dollar concours restoration.....someday. As long as you're not doing irreparable modifications it will hold that value while you enjoy it.

Of course, it could get hit by a careless driver or be caught in a hailstorm or tornado, or even vandalized in the school parking lot, at which point all bets are off. The other issue to consider is storage; are you storing the car indoors or is it sitting in a parking lot at the dorm?

You might decide the car is too valuable for the way it is going to be used and put it in the hands of someone who will restore it while you take advantage of the windfall and find a more suitable 914 plus banking a nice chunk of change to boot.

As cool as Calypso is, this isn't an easy decision. Good luck.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
You got an AMAZING deal on that car. If you're one to be able and enjoy making her pristine, while enjoying driving her, then in a two years you'd be able to sell it, IMO, I barring any total economic and / or social collapse, for about 25k or more. In the meantime you'd have put some time and money into the car, but it will be a true rarity and offer true collector status. I say enjoy it and hang on to your asset. You do NoT have to jump at this 16k offer. IMO,you can get that price almost anytime you want to.

EDIT-ADDITION: I just saw the page about the damage! OMG!! Words cannot describe. I'm in disbelief. So sorry.
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Jan 30 2015, 01:07 AM
Post #146

Member No.: 16,674

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 29 2015, 07:20 PM) *

to this -
Your car will be saved and maybe better than before.

Wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 30 2015, 01:39 AM
Post #147

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 29 2015, 07:47 PM) *

Paging Rick 918-S...please pick up the white courtesy phone...

Don't let them total it Ross. It's worth a MINIMUM of $15k. I've seen it in person at Garold's. Very rare color and interior combo. And you have the history, etc.

Sorry that happened to your car. Don't beat yourself up about it. Shit happens. Rick can fix it.

I believe I have it insured at an agreed value of 16k, so that should help! I took it to a really reputable body guy, which means excellent quality, but also makes the repair more expensive.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 29 2015, 08:19 PM) *

Oh dude.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) First do your home work. The appraiser will not have a clue on how to value the car. Don't start appraiser bashing guys. It's really not their fault. They are given a set of tools to use and are forced into a set of metrics that require them to try to settle on the spot. ( they are scored by their closing ratio).

If it takes all night find three cars that are selling in the high 20k's They are out there.

Present the comps to the appraiser. Get estimates or choose a shop you can trust and either drive the car there or have it delivered and have the appraiser meet you at the shop if you can. That fender is repairable and with the right technic the repair can be undetectable from the inside or the outside.

With that color the car will need to be zone painted to get a match. The shop had better plan on spending some serious time shooting test panels. Tell them not to be shy about charging or arrogant about their ability. The color will be a challenge for the best of the best.

Rick, I met with the adjuster today at The Metal Surgeon's shop with the car there. There was enough small damage that 5-6 panels at least will have to be repainted in addition to the fender repairs.

I've got some documents with comparable 914's for sale in the 20-30 k range that I tried to give the adjuster today and he shook them of and didn't want to take them from me. He said something about only passing those on if it looked like the car would be totaled. Hopefully that an indicator that we won't be going down the total loss road!

Thanks you guys for the support! I half expected to be roasted alive for doing this to my own car!

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 30 2015, 06:05 AM
Post #148

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 30 2015, 02:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 29 2015, 07:47 PM) *

Paging Rick 918-S...please pick up the white courtesy phone...

Don't let them total it Ross. It's worth a MINIMUM of $15k. I've seen it in person at Garold's. Very rare color and interior combo. And you have the history, etc.

Sorry that happened to your car. Don't beat yourself up about it. Shit happens. Rick can fix it.

I believe I have it insured at an agreed value of 16k, so that should help! I took it to a really reputable body guy, which means excellent quality, but also makes the repair more expensive.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 29 2015, 08:19 PM) *

Rick, I met with the adjuster today at The Metal Surgeon's shop with the car there. There was enough small damage that 5-6 panels at least will have to be repainted in addition to the fender repairs.

I've got some documents with comparable 914's for sale in the 20-30 k range that I tried to give the adjuster today and he shook them of and didn't want to take them from me. He said something about only passing those on if it looked like the car would be totaled. Hopefully that an indicator that we won't be going down the total loss road!

Thanks you guys for the support! I half expected to be roasted alive for doing this to my own car!

Mistakes happen
You took it to the right shop.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 30 2015, 08:30 AM
Post #149

Hey nice rack! -Celette

I forgot to mention, The appraisers do that. I don't know why. I always welcomed the input when I was an appraiser. Even if the info is BS. I would take it anyway. It was not worth creating the tension.

Anyway, sounds like you have the coverage and you picked the right shop!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 30 2015, 09:44 AM
Post #150

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 29 2015, 05:41 PM) *

The whole thing is pretty embarrassing really. I was working on my silver Porscharu working out some bug with the headlights and my new gauges and decided to run it for a bit to keep the headlights from draining the battery too much.

I turned they key without checking if it was in gear for literally the first time ever.

the 212 hp of modern fuel-injected power kicked over on the first bump and drove into my tool cabinet, which got pushed into Calypso and then pushed them all up against the far wall of my garage. I turned the key off as soon as I felt movement but there are still treadmarks on my garage floor where the wheels were spinning.

Both feet were out of the car at the time by the way, so there was no way to push the brakes.

Just goes to show how valuable a neutral safety switch is. I think there is already one in the new subie transmissions too, I just hadn't wired it in!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

My sincerest condolences. The carnage in that pic had the same effect upon me as when I see a guy get crushed in the nuts. You probably know this but just in case see post #36. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...33657&st=20
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 30 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #151

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 29 2015, 11:39 PM) *
I half expected to be roasted alive for doing this to my own car!

That part comes later ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I really hope this works out well for you, that's one special car you got there!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jan 30 2015, 12:51 PM
Post #152

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 30 2015, 05:05 AM) *

You took it to the right shop.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Sorry Ross. You know the "Ice Queen" is one of my favorites!

I did something similar.. I forgot my driveway was slightly sloped and was pushing the 914 out of the garage to do the engine swap and it rolled into the CLS500 and dented it right before the wheel arch driver's rear. SO I dented the 914 and the Mercedes.......

This was right before RRC 2013 - did you notice the dent in the CLS500 when you were here?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 30 2015, 12:52 PM
Post #153

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 30 2015, 09:08 AM) *

I half expected to be roasted alive for doing this to my own car!

That part comes later ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I really hope this works out well for you, that's one special car you got there!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks Andy!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 30 2015, 01:21 PM
Post #154

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Oh yeah Metal Surgeon is awesome. Had no idea he was by you. Should fix it right up for you better than new.

+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 30 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #155

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jan 30 2015, 11:51 AM)

I did something similar.. I forgot my driveway was slightly sloped and was pushing the 914 out of the garage to do the engine swap and it rolled into the CLS500 and dented it right before the wheel arch driver's rear. SO I dented the 914 and the Mercedes.......

This was right before RRC 2013 - did you notice the dent in the CLS500 when you were here?

Attached Image

I never noticed that dent on your merc, I just remember it looking excellent as our rally chase car!
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jan 30 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #156

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Sorry Ross!

+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 30 2015, 01:32 PM
Post #157

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 30 2015, 12:21 PM) *

Oh yeah Metal Surgeon is awesome. Had no idea he was by you. Should fix it right up for you better than new.

I know! Turns out he is less than 10 minutes from my house! His shop is the kind of place I would love to have several hours to wander around in...
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 31 2015, 08:58 AM
Post #158

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

You wont regret fixing it. The right person / people can make magic happen.

Dad's car had a boat driven into it (by Dad), the battery rusted through to the longs (Dad), the front hit (Dad), and the rear trunk dented by the wheel of a golf caddy cart (Dad). This is what it looks like today.

Also, Rich Botempi sold his silver 73 2.0 for top dollar in the last couple years. That would be a good comp if he's willing to share the details.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 31 2015, 10:05 AM
Post #159

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110

All fixable. The only problem I see is, that's one of those colors that you will "never" be able to match perfectly so, a complete re-spray will be in order. Pigments and the specific nature of the metallics has changed over the years.

And... That's the upside. How's the time to get the cowl and other areas back up to snuff.
+Quote Post
messix
post Jan 31 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #160

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

oh we wont't let you live this one down but wont start in until after it gets fixed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:14 PM