Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calypso Restoration Thread, Need Wiring Snorkel Help!
mobymutt
post Jan 31 2015, 02:03 PM
Post #161

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,770
Region Association: Canada

When I first got interested in 914's (about 2 years ago, haha), I actually had your avatar picture as my computer wallpaper. I think I just got it by google image searching 914's, and it was my favourite of all the ones that showed up. I love that colour, I hope you stick with it. Best of luck with the repairs!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 31 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #162

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 31 2015, 09:05 AM) *

All fixable. The only problem I see is, that's one of those colors that you will "never" be able to match perfectly so, a complete re-spray will be in order. Pigments and the specific nature of the metallics has changed over the years.

And... That's the upside. How's the time to get the cowl and other areas back up to snuff.

I agree. There is a good chance that Calypso will end up looking better that she ever has! A good excuse to get the rest of the car into flawless shape as well!

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Jan 31 2015, 01:03 PM) *

When I first got interested in 914's (about 2 years ago, haha), I actually had your avatar picture as my computer wallpaper. I think I just got it by google image searching 914's, and it was my favourite of all the ones that showed up. I love that colour, I hope you stick with it. Best of luck with the repairs!

Well that is flattering! I certainly won't have any plans to do a color change, the mint green has really grown on me!
+Quote Post
veltror
post Feb 2 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #163

Member No.: 8,978
Region Association: None

Oh dear, I kind of feel guilty that I have that front fender from you now... Hope you manage to get this fixed

Roman
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 2 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #164

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(veltror @ Feb 2 2015, 01:10 PM) *

Oh dear, I kind of feel guilty that I have that front fender from you now... Hope you manage to get this fixed

Roman

hah! I have some friends here in Denver that can help me out with that if I need it! Who knows, maybe you'll get another fender from me out of this!

How is your project going anyways?
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 2 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #165

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Ross, sorry to see this but glad that no one was hurt. In the end, it is just a car and it can be made right again.

For those who haven't seen this car in person, the color combo is stunning.

I don't think that they will, but if insurance wants to total it, I wonder if you could accept a partial settlement in lieu of a salvage title. Rick might know.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 3 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #166

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 2 2015, 08:33 PM) *

Ross, sorry to see this but glad that no one was hurt. In the end, it is just a car and it can be made right again.

For those who haven't seen this car in person, the color combo is stunning.

I don't think that they will, but if insurance wants to total it, I wonder if you could accept a partial settlement in lieu of a salvage title. Rick might know.

Owners have the first right of refusal but based on the agreed limit I doubt it will total.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Feb 3 2015, 01:04 PM
Post #167

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Ross -
I had a grey market MK1 golf GTI that was very similar, if not that color. It was called Inari Silver Metallic. Porsche used it as well. Just another reference.

Attached Image

Attached Image

You know me... if that many panels needed work/paint, I would flare it!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

good luck with the repairs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
toadman
post Feb 4 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #168

Member No.: 5,316

Hi, Ross,
I was very sad to hear about your accident. I admired your car in September 2012 when you came to the Cincinnati area for the Porsche-VW car show. We had dinner together and you found and fixed an electrical problem with my car. I hope you get things sorted out to your satisfaction.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 13 2015, 10:23 AM
Post #169

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 3 2015, 11:42 AM) *

Owners have the first right of refusal but based on the agreed limit I doubt it will total.

So I thought I had an agreed value on it, but they didn't have a record of that, so I've been going through the valuation process on it. Their first appraiser came back with a vehicle value of 11,700, which would result in the car being totaled ($9180 estimated damage). I think they felt that was a bit low because they hired a third party appraiser (Big Block Appraisal Services) who I have been working with now, and hopefully they come back with a number closer to where I believe it should be (~20k).

QUOTE(Scott S @ Feb 3 2015, 12:04 PM) *

Ross -
I had a grey market MK1 golf GTI that was very similar, if not that color. It was called Inari Silver Metallic. Porsche used it as well. Just another reference.

You know me... if that many panels needed work/paint, I would flare it!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

good luck with the repairs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks Scott! I already have my flared car though (Apollo) The car is going to be fixed, the only question is am I going to have to pay for it or will insurance take care of me.

QUOTE(toadman @ Feb 4 2015, 08:24 PM) *

Hi, Ross,
I was very sad to hear about your accident. I admired your car in September 2012 when you came to the Cincinnati area for the Porsche-VW car show. We had dinner together and you found and fixed an electrical problem with my car. I hope you get things sorted out to your satisfaction.

Hugh,

How has your car been working these days? I think things will go my way here eventually, its just going to be a bit of a headace o get everything sorted out initially! I believe the Metal Surgeon has a pretty busy shop schedule, so even after insurance gets figured out, it will be a while before it can get into the shop to get repaired!

I hope all is well with you!

-Ross

+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Feb 13 2015, 01:12 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

QUOTE(dion9146 @ Sep 8 2011, 03:39 AM) *

I still think you should sell it for $16K, then drive down to Louisville and buy my 3.2 conversion for not much more $. I'll make you a deal. I'm feeling an itch that I need to scratch, and it involves getting rid of the 914....

Dion

Dion, when you're really ready to sell that car for "not much more than 16k", please send me a PM. It looks awesome and IMO if it's as good as it looks, worth that price.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 13 2015, 01:13 PM
Post #171

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 13 2015, 12:12 PM) *

I still think you should sell it for $16K, then drive down to Louisville and buy my 3.2 conversion for not much more $. I'll make you a deal. I'm feeling an itch that I need to scratch, and it involves getting rid of the 914....

Dion

Dion, when you're really ready to sell that car for "not much more than 16k", please send me a PM. It looks awesome and IMO if it's as good as it looks, worth that price.

I believe he did sell that car back in 2011 to his business partner, also named Ross. The car now resides in Indiana, and I can tell you first hand that it is an awesome car to drive!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 13 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #172

Major Member

QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 13 2015, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 13 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Dion

I believe he did sell that car back in 2011 to his business partner, also named Ross. The car now resides in Indiana, and I can tell you first hand that it is an awesome car to drive!

Yeah, Dion has been gone for a long time.

Ross, do you know yet what your options will be in the event that the appraisal does not come out in your favor? I assume it would be either:

a. allow it to be totaled -> buy it back -> fix it but end up with a salvage title.

or

b. drop the claim and have it fixed out of your own pocket.

Just wondering if there might be a c. negotiate a reduced settlement/higher deductible for the claim in order to retain a clean title???
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 13 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #173

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 13 2015, 05:10 PM) *

Yeah, Dion has been gone for a long time.

Ross, do you know yet what your options will be in the event that the appraisal does not come out in your favor? I assume it would be either:

a. allow it to be totaled -> buy it back -> fix it but end up with a salvage title.

or

b. drop the claim and have it fixed out of your own pocket.

Just wondering if there might be a c. negotiate a reduced settlement/higher deductible for the claim in order to retain a clean title???

I just found out it won't be an issue! The appraisal came back at 23,100 so the car is going to be fixed no questions asked! Great news for tonight!!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 13 2015, 10:33 PM
Post #174

Major Member

QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 13 2015, 07:56 PM) *

I just found out it won't be an issue! The appraisal came back at 23,100 so the car is going to be fixed no questions asked! Great news for tonight!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

That is great news!
+Quote Post
turk22
post Feb 13 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #175

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

That's great news! Can't wait to see it all fixed up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Feb 14 2015, 04:40 AM
Post #176

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Congrats! Nothing like a big load off your mind when it comes to fixing your sweet ride. Christmas in February... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 14 2015, 08:09 AM
Post #177

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Now back to the matter of that missing inactive neutral switch.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 3 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #178

Professional Enthusiast

Wow, Can't believe how it has been since I updated this thread! In summary for what has been going on the last two years:

I had the car repaired by the finest metal workers in Denver (The Metal Surgeon on here).

I had the car re-painted in its original Ice Green Metallic by the finest painter in Denver (Emmel's Enamels)

I'm now in the process of replating/refinishing everything and putting it back together!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 3 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #179

Professional Enthusiast

More painting Photos

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 3 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #180

Professional Enthusiast

Painting Complete

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:58 PM