Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calypso Restoration Thread, Need Wiring Snorkel Help!
rnellums
post Aug 14 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #21

Professional Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

All new brake flexible lines installed, and venting clearances adjusted. Next to bleed the brakes and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 15 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #22

Professional Enthusiast

A pic of the installed period Cibie headlights

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 15 2011, 03:41 PM
Post #23

Professional Enthusiast

just two more.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 15 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Wow I just noticed that your VIN and Prod date are incredibly close to mine

Mine was also born 10/73 with same starting vin ending in 6663 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Definitely a good month for 914's!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Aug 19 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #25

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've never seen this color. What's the official color name? It's a great looking car too. Good luck with the restore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 19 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #26

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

98 - Ice Green Metallic

Do you have that listed in the documentation somewhere? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I'd like to add that one to the list of known 98 colors!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 21 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #27

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 15 2011, 03:40 PM) *

Wow I just noticed that your VIN and Prod date are incredibly close to mine

Mine was also born 10/73 with same starting vin ending in 6663 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Definitely a good month for 914's!

Agreed! I check my chassis number and discovered that it was the first off the line that Wednesday! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Andy-I am working on getting the color verified through PCNA over the phone before I splurge on a genuine COA-especially since I have the original owners manual with chassis, engine and transmission number verification. The color is certainly the original color(painted in places no sane person would repaint, like under the undercoating) but I don't know if it is officially "Ice Green Metallic" I am really hoping it is a one-of-a-kind color. It'd be cool to have the only one of the world.

She is running pretty well but still has a few things that need taking care of:

I checked the AAR today and it is not closing as the engine warms up. I've heard that PB blaster can loosen it up, is that kinda like generic brake cleaner?

The brakes need to be bled again as the pedal is pretty spongy.

She made a 105 mile run today with no troubles whatsoever. The oil temp gauge was sitting right along the first leg of the m on the 74' gauge.

I have the feeling that all she really needs right now is a lot of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . So let the fun begin!

-Ross
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 21 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #28

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

PB Blaster is one of the better penetrating oils. Aero Kroyl is one of the other good ones.

WD-40 is not.

--DD
+Quote Post
majkos
post Aug 21 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,729

Young kids! music, music, music

Learn your 914 music, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
troubleshooting be a breeze if you notice something sound out of order
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 22 2011, 05:28 AM
Post #30

Professional Enthusiast

Nothing sounds bad Kev, but the engine floats after I let off the gas. Probably a 1-2 secOnd delay before the rev's drop. I know the aar is staying open, but the decal valve could be stuck too. Exercise is key to staying healthy though right?
+Quote Post
majkos
post Aug 22 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 1,729

I really meant about your concern for some music from the "radio"
is that still a term? LOL!
You have yourself a real beaty!
and if ll the cruds underneath is just tins, you're golden! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 23 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #32

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Love that Ice Green & Beige interior combo! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

That is the AMCO shift knob sold by dealers & direct from AMCO back in the day - $5!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) .... I have an ad for them in an old magazine.

By the 74 MY the 2.0s had to be ordered with Appearance Group & Performance Group (sway bars) separately as extra cost options, and IIRC the chrome bumpers were an extra as well even with the AG.

Also by late 73 MY all the thresholds were changed to the black plastic & the aluminum ones were no longer used (see the Sahara Beige late 73 2L in the O&H nailed topic "The few, the rare...."). So it wasn't a missing option on your new (to you) 74 2L.

Geez, for $8k for a low mile 73-74 2.0 in Alaska or Marathon Blue & Beige interior in relatively easily restorable condition & solid/rust free & never whacked - I'd drop my own 73 2L's resto & switch direction! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Great find!

EDIT - I see the dealer did the ole steal the spare's Fuchs & swap in a steelie trick on yours too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Find a 5th 2L Alloy Wheel for it too.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 24 2011, 03:51 AM
Post #33

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 23 2011, 09:52 PM) *

EDIT - I see the dealer did the ole steal the spare's Fuchs & swap in a steelie trick on yours too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Find a 5th 2L Alloy Wheel for it too.

as a matter of fact, I do have a 5th Fuchs wheel that was given to me with the sale! There isn't a tire mounted on it, but is in pretty good shape.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 24 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #34

TMI....

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 24 2011, 02:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 23 2011, 09:52 PM) *

as a matter of fact, I do have a 5th Fuchs wheel that was given to me with the sale! There isn't a tire mounted on it, but is in pretty good shape.

I caught that pic of it in the F trunk after I'd added the edit.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ... old & very tired eyes at that point!

At least the PO/seller was thinking ahead, & all you have to do is renew/refurb/resto the wheel a bit & transfer the spare tire (assuming it's in good shape). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Looking forward to your finding out if it was indeed a 98 Ice Green special order by the OO/new buyer.

Try calling PCNA's Customer Care > COA dept. and tell them that you will order a COA through PCA (they'll give you a $20 or so discount), but that you want to verify your new 914's special order color - if it's shown on their microfilmed/digitized Kardex build record. Also, if you have the window sticker &/or other Porsche+Audi distributor sales info sheet, dealer BoS, etc. original documents - then it may show up there (or not), plus PCNA gives an additional discount ($20?) if you send in a copy with your COA form from PCA.

If you're not already a member - PCA is $42 a year, and the $20 discount, 20% off on parts/accys. at dealers a few times a year, the Panorama & local Regions' magazines monthly more than offset that cost, plus some good events for everybody.
+Quote Post
PBC914
post Aug 24 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 12,545
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 14 2011, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 14 2011, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(swl @ Aug 14 2011, 04:29 AM) *

Wow! It is the interior that is blowing me away. One small blemish in the seat but other than that looking like it came out of the showroom.

It certainly is beautiful. However--are the seat inserts original, or recovers? I have the tan corduroy inserts on my teener, but mine are so thrashed, I don't know what they really would have looked like new. The ones on this car almost look like velour though, at least in the pics. Thoughts?

You are right about the seat inserts. They are a velour type texture, definitely not corduroy. I am not sure if they are original or not, but perhaps they were a dealer installed option?

The only non-stock parts I have found so far are the monza exhaust, the shift knob, and the tires.

On the revving issue, the idle isn't high, it just is slow to decel after the gas is let off. I just replaced all the vacuum lines in the engine bay.

Beautiful car-I noticed your gauge cluster is from either a 75 or 76. 70-74 had a silver center on all 3 gauges. I apologize in advance if this was already noted.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 24 2011, 01:03 PM
Post #36

TMI....

QUOTE(PBC914 @ Aug 24 2011, 11:52 AM) *

Beautiful car-I noticed your gauge cluster is from either a 75 or 76. 70-74 had a silver center on all 3 gauges. I apologize in advance if this was already noted.

Not entirely correct - only the very early 74 MY still had the silver button gauges until they used up the 70-73 MY stock, then they switched over to the later 74 - 76 MY black button type. His is a 10/73 build per the VIN sticker, so we know that the black buttons started sometime that month, since this is an original 914 for the most part 99%.

More info here - http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_cluster.htm
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 24 2011, 01:20 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Mine was born same MO/YR and also has black centers in the gauges...The are the originals. My 1st 914 born on 03/74 was also equiped with the black centers.

Really seems like the silver centers went away with the close of the '73 model year.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 24 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #38

TMI....

I've seen a few Aug/Sept 73 builds with the silver centers, but I have no pix handy.

What really PO'ed me was that they went to a single turn signal indicator light for both L & R on them for 914s 74-76 & they were $9k+ by 76!!!!
..... as well as doing so on all VWs up until I don't know when.

In the meantime VW tried to market themselves as upscale German Engineering (Fart-fig-newton (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) with minimal guages & that single indicator light! I mean really - REALLY! - our 88 Westy had a $28k+ sticker price & that stoopid single indicator & minimal gauges, while a competing & better equipped Dodge/Chrysler minivan was $5-10k less!!!! Only the Westy CamperGL package won it over for us - as well as it being the only car our then toddler daughter didn't scream & cry incessantly in!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 24 2011, 02:28 PM
Post #39

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 24 2011, 12:20 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Mine was born same MO/YR and also has black centers in the gauges...The are the originals. My 1st 914 born on 03/74 was also equiped with the black centers.

Really seems like the silver centers went away with the close of the '73 model year.

I noticed the same on the other 74' I parted out a year ago. That said, I do prefer the silver button, but I'm not about to mess with the original mileage...

-Ross
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 24 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 24 2011, 01:22 PM) *

our 88 Westy had a $28k+ sticker price & that stoopid single indicator & minimal gauges, while a competing & better equipped Dodge/Chrysler minivan was $5-10k less!!!!

And on that note Tom...how many 88 Dodge/Chrysler minivans are still on the street...or to be more exact on the street in working order! Worth the extra $? You bet!
+Quote Post

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:57 PM