Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calypso Restoration Thread, Need Wiring Snorkel Help!
mburkhart
post Aug 24 2011, 02:49 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,364
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 15 2011, 02:40 PM) *

Wow I just noticed that your VIN and Prod date are incredibly close to mine

Mine was also born 10/73 with same starting vin ending in 6663 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Definitely a good month for 914's!

I agree - a great month!

10/73

Maybe we can re-aquaint these long-lost cousins this Saturday at Garrold's!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 24 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #42

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mburkhart @ Aug 24 2011, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 15 2011, 02:40 PM) *

Wow I just noticed that your VIN and Prod date are incredibly close to mine

Mine was also born 10/73 with same starting vin ending in 6663 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Definitely a good month for 914's!

I agree - a great month!

10/73

Maybe we can re-aquaint these long-lost cousins this Saturday at Garrold's!

OK, here is my chassis code: 4339501
which I decode to be that my car was "born" on Wednesday, the 24th of October, 1973 and was the FIRST car to roll off the line that day. Meaning either everyone was sharp witted on the first car of the day or was still asleep from too much juice in the biergarten the night before!(Terrible tuesdays)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 26 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #43

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 24 2011, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 24 2011, 01:22 PM) *

our 88 Westy had a $28k+ sticker price & that stoopid single indicator & minimal gauges, while a competing & better equipped Dodge/Chrysler minivan was $5-10k less!!!!

And on that note Tom...how many 88 Dodge/Chrysler minivans are still on the street...or to be more exact on the street in working order! Worth the extra $? You bet!

Actually Eric, there are probably about the same percentage of total production for both on the road today.

But you missed my point relative to the 74> 914s & VW products "cheaping out" on things like that - as it does NOT reflect the quality which they claimed, and their sales slipped so far that they became a minor import player - from being the prominent one int the 1960's when I was a high schooler!

Our 88 Westy now has 209k+ miles, but it's sticker was $5k more than my 85 BMW 325e Coupe sticker price just 3 years later (now with 179k+ mi), and historically has cost me 4x the repair bills than the 325e at the same total mileage level. The BMer was built to quality and it's durability reflected it and IMHO was worth the price, while the Westy was overpriced & under quality wanna be.

For example - out 914s & older VW Busses had Zimmerman disks which could be turned several times before requiring replacement, whereas the Vanagons went to much tinner disks which generally had to be replaced once worn & allowed for little or no opportunity to turn them in a normal wear cycle, and the BMer had disks which could be turned several times. The result was that with every brake job on the Westy we had to replace the disks at $1000+ but the 914 had & BMer does go several brake jobs before disk replacement.

I can say this, because as the original owner of the Westy & BMer, & 2nd owner of the 914 since 12/75, I have the records to show where the costs & quality was & was not, and VW definitely sacrificed quality during the mid-70's to early 90's. Fortunately they recognized their mistakes, and are now back up in quality.

And it's not just me, but Consumer Reports rated VWs the same way vs. other competitors vehicles back then in the 1980's, including on minivans.

Frankly, the main reason we went with the Westy was that it would've been double the cost to have a local van conversion company convert a Chrysler minivan to a Westy-type camper van, which we wanted to use for our family trips. This was the same opinion of my long time VW & Porsche factory trained mechanic in Huntington Beach, who saw a lot more VW products than either you or I.

Today the Westys have a cult following, which distorts their values in the marketplace, and not necessarily in relation to their actual level of quality build.

How else do you explain a restored 23 window `61 VW Bus selling for $217k at Barratt Jackson a few months back!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Our
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 26 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #44

TMI....

Okay Ross, it's time to put Calypso in your Avatar! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

A 914 Coffee & Gut Bombs Gathering sounds like a good idea, but for more than just you two 74 cousins' owners.

There should be a place that all of you IL & IN Teeners can get together for a Midwest gathering. Post it on 914world & I may be able to come sometime, since I have family in the Indy area & Lebanon IN, and get back there occasionally. In fact, I was there a couple of weeks before you picked up Calypso in late July.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 26 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #45

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 26 2011, 03:30 PM) *

Okay Ross, it's time to put Calypso in your Avatar! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

A 914 Coffee & Gut Bombs Gathering sounds like a good idea, but for more than just you two 74 cousins' owners.

There should be a place that all of you IL & IN Teeners can get together for a Midwest gathering. Post it on 914world & I may be able to come sometime, since I have family in the Indy area & Lebanon IN, and get back there occasionally. In fact, I was there a couple of weeks before you picked up Calypso in late July.

I dunno what you mean, Calypso is my Avatar...I would love a monthly get together. Lafayette seems perfectly situated too between Indy and Chicago.... I actually found a sandwich shop today by my house that has its address as 914 union st....
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 27 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #46

TMI....

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 26 2011, 08:44 PM) *

I dunno what you mean, Calypso is my Avatar...I would love a monthly get together. Lafayette seems perfectly situated too between Indy and Chicago.... I actually found a sandwich shop today by my house that has its address as 914 union st....

Oh, I thought that the new Ice Green Metallic 914 was named Calypso, that's what I meant to put up - now that she's the "new" 914 in your life! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Sandwich Shop at a 914 addy sounds perfect, just get the word out to your local guys about it, then pick a good route to run as a group after/before (I know, IN is mostly flat & straight roads), then post a gathering to pick a regular date. Others out here in CA have been doing that for some time & it seems to work well to get the Teeners together.

Good Luck with the gathering & the resto!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 27 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #47

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 27 2011, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 26 2011, 08:44 PM) *

Oh, I thought that the new Ice Green Metallic 914 was named Calypso, that's what I meant to put up - now that she's the "new" 914 in your life! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Sandwich Shop at a 914 addy sounds perfect, just get the word out to your local guys about it, then pick a good route to run as a group after/before (I know, IN is mostly flat & straight roads), then post a gathering to pick a regular date. Others out here in CA have been doing that for some time & it seems to work well to get the Teeners together.

Good Luck with the gathering & the resto!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

I think it may be a quirk in the new server, My avatar seems to keep reverting back to my old avatar. Half the time its Calypso, half the time it is Bosser... weird. I'm working on the fix now...

and some pictures of the Portage BBQ at Garold's today. Has a Blast!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Aug 27 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #48

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

That's both a great new color and also a great meetup place of Goralds...parking for many 914's . Glad you had fun and post some more pics soon. I have a full set of silver button guages I'll send if you decide you like 'em. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 27 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #49

Professional Enthusiast

I've still got a full set from my old teener, but I think I'll stick with the originals! Thanks though! All the different colors reminded me of Skittles.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 3 2011, 08:22 AM
Post #50

Professional Enthusiast

Just placed an order for 4 new Goodyear eagle GT tires! The aar is soaking in PB blaster and new fuel lines are on their way from tangerine!! It is wrench time!
+Quote Post
majkos
post Sep 3 2011, 08:29 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 1,729

Good, and while you at the computer, explain
"Calypso"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 3 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #52

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(majkos @ Sep 3 2011, 07:29 AM) *

Good, and while you at the computer, explain
"Calypso"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Calypso is a goddess type from Greek mythology. She was featured most prominently in homer's odessey living on an island and imprisoning odesseus, but also has some sea roots and connotations. Since the color reminds me of the color of the ocean and I'm pretty sure she plans to take lots of my time as well.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 4 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #53

Professional Enthusiast

New plate arrived yesterday!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
veltror
post Sep 4 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 8,978
Region Association: None

Tracks 1 2 and 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_C...u#Track_listing

+Quote Post
Haudiosolutions
post Sep 4 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 12,284
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 14 2011, 01:24 PM) *

My 2 yr old granddaughter saw the pictures and said:

"Oh my gosh, pretty car. I want to ride in it"

She loves my 914 and can point one out in photos, etc. Afflicted since birth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Poor thing! She has certainly seen the pain inflicted so far?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 5 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #56

TMI....

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 4 2011, 09:57 AM) *

New plate arrived yesterday!
Attached Image

"Tippacanoe & Calypso too!" ... to borrow from the Tuyler campaign. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 5 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #57

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 5 2011, 02:53 PM) *

"Tippacanoe & Calypso too!" ... to borrow from the Tuyler campaign. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

huh?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 5 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #58

TMI....

"Tippacanoe & Tyler too" was the presidential campaign slogan when Tyler ran in the 1800s, your plate reminded me of an updated version of it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Who said history couldn't fun later in life!? ... I didn't sleep in class. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 6 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #59

Professional Enthusiast

I just got a loose offer for 16k. Do I take it?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 6 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #60

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 6 2011, 10:04 PM) *

I just got a loose offer for 16k. Do I take it?

Hell yes. Just make sure to see the loose cash.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:30 AM