Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 901 gears and shafts, Anyone know what alloy?
bondo
post Jul 6 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I found someone at Cal Poly willing to help me with annealing and rehardening 901 internals so I can machine them. He said it would be helpful to know what alloy the steel is. He also asked if they were case hardened.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 6 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

unobtainium is what I have heard..............
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Jul 6 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #3

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

Dang! You beat me to it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'm sure they're made of some rare earth something or other! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

Shannon
+Quote Post
RAR
post Jul 7 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,598

Case hardening is a coating that hardens only the outer skin of metal. I doubt the metal is all that unusual, but I do know that Porsche uses or used a cyanide bath of sorts to harden crankshafts. Gearbox internals, who knows. All this is just FYI, and it probably doesn't help much. Mismatched heat rehardening of gears can lead to accelerated wear of the softer gear. I don't know exactly what you want to machine, but perhaps using carbide tooling and leaving things hard is your best bet.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 7 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #5

Hmm, I tried carbide.. it wore bits dull and barely made a scratch... it's hard stuff! It's good to know about the mismatch tho, I'll do whatever I do to both gears so they match. (what I'm trying to do is cut second off the main shaft and machine the inside to be able to use the second gear set as 5th) This is an extreme longshot, and if it works it'll be a miracle... but I have to try (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
RAR
post Jul 7 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #6

I'm missing something here. Can you cut off second gear without destroying it? I'm assuming you want to end up with a 904 mainshaft. You want two second gears in the same transmission, for racing purposes, correct? Anyway if the shaft and gear is heat hardened (or case hardened), you need to get a Rockwell hardness before annealing it so you can come back to it, so it will match the gear it meshes with. I don't know if they case harden gears. If yes, the metal should be soft a few thousandths under the skin.
I know they aren't cheap, but Ottos sells new 904 mainshafts, and you might be ahead of the game buying one.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 7 2004, 01:35 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

you might also have the option of grinding the gear off....it's a slow process and can be a PITA depending on the profile needed.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 7 2004, 09:12 AM
Post #8

Two second gears? Nope. I want a taller ratio for 5th, for a v8 conversion. I want to reverse the positions of the second gear gears and put them in place of 5th. I am trying to sacrifice a mainshaft to get the gear off. The remachined gear will go on a stock mainshaft. I don't think it's case hardened, I did some grinding on the pinion shaft I plan to use as a broach, and it's hard well past a few thousanths deep.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jul 7 2004, 09:25 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 97

Case hardening is more than a few thousandths deep. What is done is the steel part is hardened on the outer surface (maybe ~ 1mm deep) to give a hard wear layer. The main body is still ductile so the part will not shatter under load. All transmission gears are case hardened AFAIK.

Crankshafts can be nitrided - a chemical surface treatment, but that is not a process used on tranmission gears.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 7 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #10

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Why not change the ring and pinion? There was a thread abit ago about using a 901 sporto R&P....effectively does what you wanna do to ALL the gears across the board for a lot cheaper.

The PorChev board has a guy named Felix that has done it and Bradholio claims to be able to do it....he alos sasy the R&Ps are CHEAP.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jul 7 2004, 09:43 AM
Post #11

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Gears are typically made of 8620 steel, then carborized (sp).

Shafts can be made of lots of different things depending on the application. Could be 4140 heat treated or even something as exotic as Jethete.

If you are trying to match steel components you could always send a scrap piece to a testing lab and for about $200.00 they can tell you what grade of steel it is.

Good Luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 7 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #12

I don't want to change the ring and pinion because I want to be able to use 2nd as my first gear, since 1st is too weak. I'm afraid an R&P change would make 2nd gear starts difficult and/or hard on the clutch.

It looks like I'm gonna have to test the hardness.. Fortunately the guy I talked to siad he had a hardness tester. I'll post results of course.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jul 7 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #13

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

A hardness test will not tell what "kind" of material it is.

The only way to do this is with destructive testing. You have to isolate key elements in the steel to determine what grade it is.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 7 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #14

Well he said it would be nice to know what kind it is to know what temperatures to anneal and reharden at... but he said a hardness test would give him a good enough idea that he could probably get close enough. The real destructive testing will happen when I put it together and bolt it to a V8 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
RAR
post Jul 7 2004, 11:27 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(bondo @ Jul 7 2004, 07:12 AM)
Two second gears? Nope. I want a taller ratio for 5th, for a v8 conversion. I want to reverse the positions of the second gear gears and put them in place of 5th. I am trying to sacrifice a mainshaft to get the gear off. The remachined gear will go on a stock mainshaft. I don't think it's case hardened, I did some grinding on the pinion shaft I plan to use as a broach, and it's hard well past a few thousanths deep.

Ahhh, I see.
I figured case hardening to be about 1mm. That's about 40 thou, "few" is subjective. If Cal Poly has a machine shop, they may very well have a Rockwell tester. As stated a hardness test doesn't indicate the type of material, but it will give you an idea of how hard the gears need to be.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:01 PM