Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> And the winner is..., (and there are no losers in my book...)
VegasRacer
post Jul 7 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #21

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Great read James and Ginger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
I really like the "snorting caterpillars" line.
Your description of the opening night atop the parking garage is genius.

C'mon Slits. Let's see yours. Please!?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jul 7 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 97

That one was mostly mine, with some editing by Ginger.

I'll post Ginger's later, which had some editing/additions by me.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jul 8 2004, 07:56 AM
Post #23

Bump for the morning crowd to see my story.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 8 2004, 08:27 AM
Post #24

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hey I was going to do that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 8 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Don't forget to post Ginger's story too!

And I'd like to read the other entries as well

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 8 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #26

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Nice article James!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 8 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

You are right, I am not sure I wanted the job on this one, either! But I had to do it. In the end, I hope it was fun for those who took a stab at the story and that they got some satisfaction out of the process.... and the editorial door is always open to newcomers at Excellence.

Reading the Adams' story again made me second-guess myself -- they did a GREAT job, too! As in GREAT!

Keep an eye out for the October issue, which should be in the mail in a 2-4 weeks, newsstands a couple weeks after that. There are photos by John Peterson, Demick Boyden, Richard Lindsall, and Jeroen -- and it looks like they're gonna look great.

pete
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 8 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #28

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 7 2004, 04:28 PM)
Great read James and Ginger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
I really like the "snorting caterpillars" line.
Your description of the opening night atop the parking garage is genius.

C'mon Slits. Let's see yours. Please!?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Hmmmmmm, I guess I can post it for a laugh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) or three............................, after all it is a LOSER (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ......................,

The WCC

Exactly where does one start to explain the experience of attending the WCC? It was three days of fun in the sun; it was our time to revel in the glory that we, 914 owners, were about to embark on a journey from which none of us would return the same.

One must keep in mind that the 914world.com is not a true club. No officers, no dues, no meetings, just a group of individuals sharing on a web based bulletin board. In itself, it is quite remarkable that 2000 friends exist without really knowing each other.

In the beginning, it sounded like another local get-together from those of us that looked at it from a distance. Protests over the cost and time were expressed on the board and each question was calmly answered by the organizers. From the protests grew an interest. From interest grew a passion to be there; to be part of an event whose roots had been forgotten in the fog of life and faded by time..

Are you old enough to remember the glory days of Sports Cars? The rallies, the road-races, all the social events by marquee and the intensity embodied by them? Do you remember the passions that exploded? Do you remember the great times we all spent together? For us, the WCC was the recreation, if only for a moment, of those moments lost in the haze of passing time.

There were the “newbies”. Those that weren’t even alive when the vehicles were built, burning with a desire to experience that golden era from stories their kindred had told them of those days. Could they, for the first time, experience passions which were so fondly told, while sitting in the cold garage, covered with grease and oil? This was to be their chance, to be a part of an event that would ignite the passion in their future, to carry on the legacy.

Each of us, followed the trek of Dave Hunt and his family as they chronicled their odyssey from Gig Harbor, WA. His first post on May 28, “Just hitting the road. Gonna spend tonight in Eugene, OR, tomorrow night in Eureka, CA. Then Frisco.54 degrees and showers with possible thunder showers. Can't wait to get out of here.
Dave “ As each day passed they would post where they were and what they had done with an image. The passion to be at the WCC rubbed off on the rest of us.

There were others that made tremendous efforts, to make their way to the WCC, further heightening our desires to be there. Rich and the Alien was an almost unbelievable story itself. Bringing an unfinished 928S powered 914 via trailer from Duluth, MN, a family project to be completed and run at the WCC. Excitement ran high just to see this beast.

Others were bringing a variety of conversions. There would be an electric 914 that produced astounding numbers in the quarter mile. There would be a Nissan V6 powered 914. There would be the ground pounding V8s in the crowd too. All these were teasing the attendees along with normal 914s which ran from rough to concours and everywhere in between.

From the Netherlands, Jeroen was coming. Noted for being a 914 guru, one could only wonder what would draw him from the comfort of his home to such a far away place. It had to be the karma generated by all the members of this internet community that brought him; to see “friends” he only knew by name.

From Colorado, Mike Ferguson was going to make a 2300 mile round trip to be part of this event. He later lamented on his sore butt, but said he would be there for the 2005 event. Arizona and all points West people were committing. What energy was brewing to commit to travels from such far reaching places; the dream was being reborn.

All were working feverishly up to the last moment to get our cars road worthy for the event. Innumerable posts detailed the late nights and lack of sleep preparing for the event. Jenny summed this up in her post, “This is really sad. I tossed and turned all last night. I was dreaming, but dreamed it was next thur instead of yesterday, and I was freaking out because my car wasn't ready, and also 'cause I knew I had to get up real early for all the events. I was afraid I would oversleep. I was relieved when I woke up this AM. Phew! It was a tiresome night! ”

Offers of help were freely given. Jeff Keyser replied, “We are getting close now... I can feel it! See you on Sunday Jenny.” At HPH on Sunday, the doors were opened and volunteers came to help the owners assemble their cars. They will be ready for the WCC.

For those that couldn’t complete their tasks, laments were offered and encouragement expressed by the others to join anyway – crawl, walk, drive anything – just be there was the cry. Bernie Thomas called me two days before his intended departure and told me he had dropped his newly rebuilt tranny and broke the case. “Do you have a case”, he asked. I answered that of course I did and it was his. Fate stepped in though when he went to start the completed car, it siezed and wouldn’t make the trip. Bernie and crew showed up anyway teenerless.

The WCC had progressed beyond a car exhibit; It was becoming the joining of distant friends, only known by their names on the BBS and a sharing of a passion to be part of something greater than themselves.

The first morning, when we all met on the top level of a parking lot in a no name town, was pure excitement. While winding up the levels to the top, constantly wondering “what would I see” rounding that last turn. The anticipation, the passions grew ever steadily.

Rounding the last turn and seeing all those 914s parked in two lines was awesome. The drive down the middle was awe inspiring as a Royal Wedding or a Military ritual. Each car we passed saluted our arrival, but even more inspiring was each person had the broadest smile on their face and a hearty wave as a greeting. The emotions, the passions were cursing through all of us. It was an aura of energy that kept growing and growing. It was as if we had known each other forever.

The drive to breakfast was incredible. A long line of the energy being released outwardly as we motored out of the parking lot, down the streets and onto the freeway. Faces of the drivers and passengers embossed with smiles that paled the rising sun. The hum of the engines was in harmony. Each car moving with grace through time and space to the appointed destination as if no others existed. I could see the faces of people as we passed by. By their smiles and waves, they to, were being affected.

Astonishment greeted us; the photographer, who stood on the grassy knoll, photographing each car and contents as we paraded by. Set against the rising sun at his back, provided a surreal vision as if he were recording the rebirth of the past, the beginning of the new. It was at this point that I and everyone knew why we had come. It was an awesome shared experience, with feelings that cannot be described by words. Only the faces could show the passion and joy.

The remainder of the first and remaining days and nights were absorbed in this surreal world which only we the attendees and our not forgotten missing brethren through our words could feel. The air was alive with the electricity of anticipation of what was next and who else would we see face to face. What friends we are, what an experience we shared; the world was ours. The dreams came true and will continue into the future all due to an event simply called the WCC.

(I think this was the last draft, as it still has a few errors in it - I've got it spread over 3 computers - so............,)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 8 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #29

Hey nice rack! -Celette

What a wonderfully feeling, recap of the "people" and the event. You captured so much of the emotion that swelled as interest built. I can hardly wait until the next event. For those of you not attending the Mid West 914 Classic stay tuned and watch the BBS. I feel the same emotion starting to build for this event. I'm looking forward to meeting a whole group of new faces.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 8 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Great piece Slits!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jul 8 2004, 08:02 PM
Post #31

Now that you have had time to digest those, here is one more. There are many similarities to mine - as I said it was a joint project both ways.

WCC 2004 Recap article

By Ginger Adams

My husband and I stood in the brisk evening air watching the 914s gather on the top of the hotel’s 4-floor parking garage. One by one, they drove up the ramp like jelly beans coming out the chute of a vending machine.

The event was the first-ever West Coast Classic 914 weekend June 4-6 held in Campbell, California. We flew in earlier that day from Texas, and my husband, James, talked about how he couldn’t wait to connect with his online friends from 914world.com and eyeball their various car configurations. I couldn’t wait for a weekend away from the kids, a chance to see some renowned scenery and experience it first-hand in some breathtaking driving tours.

Each car announced its arrival with the familiar whirr of the engine, then burst into view to join the tantalizing array of flavors lined up in the open lot – pina colada, orange sherbet, and blue raspberry. Oh, alright, they were Ravenna Green, Signal Orange and Olympic Blue, but I couldn’t help but think of the tiny sweets.

Suddenly there was a mighty roar and a black licorice bean came charging up the ramp. There was an almost audible gasp among the spectators. Here was The Alien, I was informed. As it joined its place in line, we learned it indeed was a treat to see for anyone who had ever worked on a 914. It was a black, flared 914 with a 928S V-8 engine squeezed into an extended engine compartment and the corresponding 928 Pasha fabric on the seats. After some prodding, the owner opened the loaded rear trunk compartment and revealed the car’s namesake – a bald-headed, bulging-eyed face of an alien stamped into the sheet metal. The artistry was admired by all.

Many attendees were from the Pacific states, but there was also a good showing from places farther away like Minnesota, Massachusetts, and even The Netherlands. In all, more than 70 914 owners registered, making this event one of the largest gatherings of 914s and 914 owners in Porsche history. Pretty impressive, considering it was put together by an online club not even two years old.

The West Coast Classic was organized within three months after the primary founder of the BBS, Brad Roberts, threw the idea of a get-together out on the board to his fellow enthusiasts. Interest snowballed, and, when it was decided to be in his area, Jeff Bowlsby picked up the ball as the event coordinator. Members from all over pitched in to help. Finally, the 2000 members of 914world.com would have a chance to let its people substitute human interaction for the computer screen.

Despite the only previous contact being in the form of short, often disjointed message postings, there in the parking lot everyone found themselves picking up online conversations where they had left off, talking to people as though they were old friends with barely an introduction. It was a little like a high-school reunion, putting new faces together with personalities you already know.
Like all enthusiasts, we spent hours swapping our 914 stories and struggles. Like Rick Ollah’s (a la The Alien) successful mad dash with his sons to create a one-of-a-kind car and get it roadworthy just days before the event (rumor was that the paint was still sticky when it got to California). Then there was Dave Darling, who was nearly glowing over the fact that his fabled Olympic Blue ’74 finally made it out of hibernation, ending his chronic “testing” of other people’s 914s. Those whose cars didn’t make it pretty unanimously vowed to make it happen next year.

The weekend proved faithful with fantastic driving tours – challenging to drive and spectacular to view. The blue skies above never looked so crystal clear as they did through the open top. We raced through suede-brown mountains dotted with dark green shrubs, meandered through endangered cypress on the 17-Mile Drive that led to Pebble Beach, and carefully picked our way around steep cliffs which rose like a wall on the driver’s side and completely disappeared on the passenger’s.

Our first driving tour literally climaxed with an assent up to the entrance of the Leguna Seca racetrack. After gathering the cars and obtaining direction, we all fell in line out on the track, with visions of being George Follmer or Mark Donohue blasting through the corkscrew in a Can-Am 917. The 20 mph speed limit imposed for our “parade” lap did not take away from the thrill. Later, under the legendary giant Yokahama tire, we lined up the cars for the official event photo.

A good number of us took an extra tour that was added to the schedule, bringing us through multi-million-dollar waterfront properties, past the reputed world’s most photographed tree and dropping us off at Carmel beach. There, we split up and explored the village of Carmel, with its charming, three-quarter scale architecture right out of Hansel & Gretel or Alice in Wonderland. Among its upscale shops and restaurants actually was a store completely dedicated to Alice and her friends, selling collectibles which were surprisingly overpriced. We couldn’t help but marvel at how such a place could stay in business.

The next day I went to my first autocross in the parking lot of Candlestick/3Com Park. War paint in the form of blue tape numbers was being applied as we arrived. We shivered on the pavement in the bone-chilling wind and overcast skies, but even more cars than earlier activities turned out for their shot at beating the clock.

By this time, those who had flown in to California had been teamed up with charitable owners who offered their 914s up for potential abuse. For the duration of the day, conversation could be heard regarding Konis, sway bars and tires. Regardless of previous experience or lack thereof, a new batch of track junkies was being formed.

Watching our friends make loops around the track for several hours made me think, Well, shoot – that doesn’t look so hard! What’s a few flying cones between friends? Afterward I made the mistake of mentioning it to James, who will surely hold me to it. I guess I’d be up for it, as long as the car has solid brakes and a RennShift shifter.

The event wrapped up with our concours and event awards at the Parts-Heaven swap meet in Hayward. Parts were sold, treasures were found, and cars were drooled upon. Then an extra special treat was revealed…

Late in the morning a crowd started to gather around a beat and forlorn-looking yellow/orange 914. Looking it over, unusual features were being pointed out – this turn signal lens, that welding, the prop rods for the hoods. Each part of the car was just a bit different than the ones we owned.
Paul Lang, a researcher on the car, gave a presentation about the car’s unexplained origins, and comparisons were made between this car and the prototype 914/8 in residence at the Porsche museum in Germany. The six-digit VIN number on the apparently very early 914/6 made it a likely story.

The mystery captivated our imaginations as we all left for home. It was great fodder for future postings on the BBS and a guarantee we’ll all be staying in touch. Until we meet again next year!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 8 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #32

Hey nice rack! -Celette

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jul 8 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #33

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

I found one major flaw with all three of the posted articles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

They were all to short!
I got to the end and I wanted more.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 9 2004, 06:12 AM
Post #34

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 8 2004, 09:47 PM)
I found one major flaw with all three of the posted articles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

They were all to short!
I got to the end and I wanted more.

Pete has ADD - his attention span was limited to 1500 words or less (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 9 2004, 07:59 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Ok... now where's Ron -------???
He submitted an article too

Come on Ron! We want to read it!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 9 2004, 08:06 AM
Post #36

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

when will this issue go to the printer? i usually just read the mag while at borders. i'll break down and buy this one.

kevin
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jul 9 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 9 2004, 08:59 AM)
Ok... now where's Ron Meier???
He submitted an article too

Come on Ron! We want to read it!!!

cheers,

Jeroen

That's the middle one up there.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 9 2004, 09:18 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 9 2004, 03:59 PM)
Ok... now where's Ron -------???

Nevermind...

Slits just PM-ed me that HE is Ron (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I'm off now, trying to pull my foot outta my mouth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jul 9 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #39

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 9 2004, 08:18 AM)
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 9 2004, 03:59 PM)
Ok... now where's Ron ------???

Nevermind...

Slits just PM-ed me that HE is Ron (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I'm off now, trying to pull my foot outta my mouth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Usually if someone PM's you telling you they are someone, doesn't that mean that they dont want their identity shown on the board? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
Just giving you a hard time Jeroen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/girlboing.gif) I think Slits has his actual name in his signature anyway.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 9 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #40

914 Guru

Ok... I just did some editing...
Names were changed to protect the innocent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Slits can go back undercover again now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Today must not be my day... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 06:36 AM