Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changing Fan Belt in a /6 with A/C, Can't be hard, right?
iiibdsiil
post Jul 6 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Needs Door Locks

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,362

My fan belt is pretty loose on the 3.2. I figure for the extra $15, just replace it. Anyways, I have seen 911 belts done, kinda. I know there are the shims which you have to adjust accordingly.

So, my problems comes with the A/C and the shims. How does this work? Does each one have to be shimmed seperately, A/C and fan belt, or what?

Also, there is a special wrench for this too, correct? Since you have to take the center bolt out and not let the motor turn over?

Am I going to run into any problems with the fan being kinda close to the firewall? I know most of the /6 conversions, at least on the race cars, have a cut out in the firewall to make life easier. I a willing to do this at some point, but the belt is starting to scare me now.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

- Brett Smith
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Jul 7 2004, 01:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 283
Region Association: None

The tension on the Airconditiong belt is adjusted by sliding the compressor from left to right... no shims required. The fan belt is where the shims are located. there should be a total of 6 shims all are required for the assembly to work properly. The shims go behind the pulley the more shims you put behind the pulley the losser the belt will fit. The shims push the pulley outward allowing the belt to drop down. No shims pushes the pulley in putting pressure on the belt pushing it upward. The extra shims must go between the Cone piece that is under the big nut.

Yes there is a special tool to hold the pulley while you lossen or tighten the nut.
I have a center hole which allows me to Zip the fan nut off with the impact gun. No holding required. Putting it on is a little tricky since I do not recommend the Impact gun for installation. With out a center hole this is a very difficult job.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jul 7 2004, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I can't speak to the AC, but the fan belt does use shims and really isn't that hard. IF you have the factory tool to hold the pulley. I can take a pic later if necessary.
+Quote Post
iiibdsiil
post Jul 7 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Needs Door Locks

Member No.: 1,362

I looked up the tool, on the other board, so I know what it looks like. I am going to go by my old job and borrow one from them, I know they have a couple.

And the A/C, I feel like an idiot. I knew that, lol.

Thanks guys.
+Quote Post
ein 6er
post Jul 7 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #5

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 300
Region Association: None

brett,

it isn't that hard to do, just a little tricky reaching around the fan. keep track of how many shims are between the pully, so you know how many to put back on to tighten the belt. you may want to pull the engine lid if acess is a problem. also you really need to keep that pully wrench in the car, just in case, if it's a street car that is.

hey, you wouldn't by chance be going to the scca regional race at moroso this weekend would you? i'd love to see your 3.2.

ps, your link to your website doesn't work!

doug
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:00 PM