Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If you were going in for paint..., What would you do...
Would you...
Remove the front side markers?
Yes [ 68 ] ** [60.18%]
No [ 45 ] ** [39.82%]
Add chassis stiffening kit?
Yes [ 63 ] ** [55.75%]
No [ 50 ] ** [44.25%]
Total Votes: 226
Guests cannot vote 
eric9144
post Aug 15 2011, 09:52 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

OK so lets say you have a '74 2.0 914 that's remarkably clean, you're the second owner and have all the records and history on the car going all the way back. It's been a CA car its whole life and has only very minor rust issues, super straight, no accidents, no DAPO changes, all OE equipement is in stelar shape and nothing is missing. Any mod's have been bolt on with no permanent changes that couldn't be reversed...

I've owned the car for 16 years now, have no intention of selling it ever...It's always going to be a '4' and will always be on 4 bolt Fuchs, I have no intentions on changing that.

The car has been both a daily driver and a garage queen, still low miles <100k...but has lots of little scratches etc from 38 years of use...shows very well from 3 feet away. I do drive it, sometimes hard, including AX and DE...

So here's the big question-in terms of overall values-with prices driving up and up on these the way they are, What would you do if you were finally going in for a professional total repaint?

Feel free to flame the choices with your opinions...

Pic to help you decide:
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cohibra45
post Aug 15 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,564

I obviously voted before reading (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) !!!

If you are going for ultimate value...........LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!! KEEP IT STOCK!!!

Watching most of the auction shows now on TV.........the latest and most money cars are either totally redone to better than stock or true 'survivors'. I believe yours falls into the later category.

Just keep driving and enjoying your car.........I wouldn't even go in for any respray as it will drop the value (see above).

Either totally redo the car or leave it alone. Just a paint job will in the long run drop the value............Again, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ULTIMATE RESALE/COLLECTOR VALUE!!!!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 15 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #3

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Lose the side markers. The european style is what we would also have if not for artificial DOT regs. I had this decision a year ago and am very happy I eliminated them. It gives a cleaner appearance and the front fender actually shows a fuller curvature that isn't apparent with the markers.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
reharvey
post Aug 15 2011, 10:20 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,308
Region Association: North East States

You got to get rid of the " Warts " from the front fenders! I removed them from all 5 of my cars. Ray
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Aug 15 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #5

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

I agree, lose the side markers...those are just plain ugly...I did it many years ago when I repainted my car......and this is my opinion but I would also remove the Porsche crest from the front hood...I like the car better without it and it keeps people guessing what the car is...a few weeks ago somebody asked me what it was...I replied jokingly "Lamborghini" and they actually believed me...than again it is your car...those are just my thoughts to share

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 15 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #6

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

If you going for CW Paint, keep the Lens. Also skip the Chassis Stiffening
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Aug 15 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #7

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

In the pics your car looks amazing, do you really need new paint? Just leave it as it is...your car is obviously in nice, clean and un-modified shape...hard to say but a true survivor is cool too. Also you may want to consider the ENGMEN kit which is very popular around here and reasonably priced too
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 15 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Hood badge will be removed for sure...

I can snap some pics of the scratches etc on the paint--it's not horrible, but there are enough of them that you cant ignore them...mostly from the car being stuffed into 'too small' garage spaces over it's life to keep it out of the rain etc

I do get the points being made about no paint at all--it's compelling to see the original primer and lack of repaints where the scratches are...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 15 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Voted without reading.

Concourse level? None of the above.

I also agree that the paint looks pretty darn good. Is it worth it to you for a $4000 repaint?

Also dont you get more points from original paint at a concourse? AKA in the "preservation" class?
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Aug 15 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #10

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742

I deleted my side markers but since its just a 2.0 -4 no stiffining. Glad I got rid of the side markers!!!

Remember its your car and you can do whatever you want to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
markb
post Aug 15 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #11

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I also voted before reading. Considering what you have, I would take it down to a really good detail shop & have them go over the paint. They can do wonderful things these days to get out scratches. If it still is not up to your liking, then find the best paint shop you can & have it resprayed in the original color. You do get points for original paint if you show it. We showed our 911 SC in the unrestored category, and got many good comments on the original paint.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 15 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #12

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 15 2011, 11:36 AM) *

Considering what you have, I would take it down to a really good detail shop & have them go over the paint. They can do wonderful things these days to get out scratches.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It really is amazing what some detail shops can do these days. There are guys out there with incredible talent when it comes to buffing, waxing, and making the original paint look great.

Personally, on 'narrow bodied' 914's, I like the front markers shaved, and adding the side-markers that are located between the door and wheels. It's not that big of a deal to do, and it's a good back up assuming you don't like the look of the fenders without anything on them.

Also, I like the Porsche crest up front, and think that with the addition of some front Euro lenses would look great!
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 15 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

What Markb said. I would think the car would be more valuable not repainted, then repainted from a collector stand point. Looks beautiful in your posted picture. 2 stage paint from the factory? Maybe just reclearing it if the scratches can't be worked out?
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 15 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I'll post some pic's of the scratches--some are deep, like someone with a belt on leaned into the engine compartment and dug in, others are just normal rock chips etc...

Maybe the scratches can be touched up, hard to say...

Some @hole threw what appeared to be a soda across the front hood when it was parked in front of my house about 10 years ago and you can see it in the clear--like it ate away at it or fogged it...

There's some minor rust repair to be done too, in the rear trunk (not severe enough to warrant panel replacement, remember CA car always garaged) and some in the left side engine bay...aka drivers side hell hole...

+Quote Post
MDG
post Aug 15 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #15

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

I may have missed this but is it original paint? If so, patina is not a bad thing. There are painters out there who are true artisans and could blow in the scratches that have cut right through. They can colour match and blend to the point that unless you knew exactly where to look you'd never know - and even if you did it would be virtually impossible to tell.

That way you preserve the original integrity of the factory finish. I've seen original paint cars from the 40's, 50's, 60's etc., that have had partial panel repaints and IMHO the car benefits from it as opposed to a complete.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Aug 15 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #16

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

IMHO A solid car that is NPOT tracked and has low h.p. ( original power plant ) does not need a stiffening kit. I do however strongly recommend one in anything that gets track use, hard street driving or has over 150 h.p.

Lenses are a personal preference, but a car as solid and clean as yours, I'd leave them. They are original, and as stated, the cars values continue to rise. Removing them takes away from it's originality.

Paint wise, original cars get repainted every day and don;t lose value. The only people that care about factory original paint are at Barret Jackson, loaded on mint julips and blowing more money on a car than I'll ever see......... and Pat Garvey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) The key is finding a shop that can and will duplicate the factory finish ( read orange peel ) and not over or under do it, unless you want it over or under done

And even Pat's car has ben repainted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 15 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #17

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

I did go for paint. I voted the same way I chose for my car.

--DD
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Aug 16 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 15 2011, 08:52 AM) *

I've owned the car for 16 years now, have no intention of selling it ever...It's always going to be a '4' and will always be on 4 bolt Fuchs, I have no intentions on changing that.

Since you're never selling it you don't really care what the value does, so do what make you enjoy the car most.

I like the look without the side markers and you don't sound like you need chassis stiffening.

Paint it and enjoy it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

jim
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 16 2011, 06:56 AM
Post #19

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Aug 15 2011, 10:37 AM) *

Remember its your car and you can do whatever you want to it

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

To do it right though, it should be welded and then you are talking paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

I had the same scenario for Dad's car including an 8 track. I opted to do things MY way and I have no regrets. Dad's car to me is for personal enjoyment and time with the kids. It has no value to anyone beyond me and my kids. Not saying everyone is like me, but you have to decide for yourself what you want.

I also like the hood badge. Should have been there all along.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 16 2011, 06:59 AM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81

......... and Pat Garvey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

And even Pat's car has ben repainted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
[/quote]

Nice.

We all need a Pat though to keep us relatively straight...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:57 PM