Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If you were going in for paint..., What would you do...
Would you...
Remove the front side markers?
Yes [ 68 ] ** [60.18%]
No [ 45 ] ** [39.82%]
Add chassis stiffening kit?
Yes [ 63 ] ** [55.75%]
No [ 50 ] ** [44.25%]
Total Votes: 226
Guests cannot vote 
Cohibra45
post Aug 16 2011, 01:48 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,564

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 15 2011, 11:52 AM) *

So here's the big question-in terms of overall values-with prices driving up and up on these the way they are, What would you do if you were finally going in for a professional total repaint?

This is why I stated to leave it alone............

Yes, the first part of the post says he's never going to sell...........but we all know that good intentions and all............

You are going to have to ask yourself the hard question...Which do you want, a collector with maximum resale value or a personal car you can do anything with???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 16 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cohibra45 @ Aug 16 2011, 12:48 PM) *

You are going to have to ask yourself the hard question...Which do you want, a collector with maximum resale value or a personal car you can do anything with???

The answer to that one would be 'B' --a personal car you can do anything with!!!

Really I'm trying to gauge the opinions of the members here in the sense of "What would you do" given the scenario...

I'll likely never please the hard core CW's anyway with the fact that I like to drive the sh!t out of it still when I can and no matter how pristine my retentive nature makes it, that's still going to be the reality for it.

That IS the reason we all love these cars afterall...ISN'T IT?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

There are minor rust issues I want to address and the paint is showing it's age when you see it in person...the rust is really the motivator, minor as it is, I'd like to take care of it...

Silver metallic photographs very well, so its a bit deceptive in the picture.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Aug 16 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #23

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 16 2011, 05:32 PM) *

. . . I like to drive the sh!t out of it still when I can . . .

That IS the reason we all love these cars afterall...ISN'T IT?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

YES!

Do what you need to do that will continue giving you as much enjoyment in 10 or 15 years as you're getting out of it now.

As far as the front badge and side markers go, my 3.2 car has the badge and no markers and the Phoenix car has the markers and no badge. I'll still think your car looks amazing no matter which combination you end up doing.
+Quote Post
Cohibra45
post Aug 16 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,564

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 16 2011, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Cohibra45 @ Aug 16 2011, 12:48 PM) *

The answer to that one would be 'B' --a personal car you can do anything with!!!

Really I'm trying to gauge the opinions of the members here in the sense of "What would you do" given the scenario...

I'll likely never please the hard core CW's anyway with the fact that I like to drive the sh!t out of it still when I can and no matter how pristine my retentive nature makes it, that's still going to be the reality for it.

There are minor rust issues I want to address and the paint is showing it's age when you see it in person...the rust is really the motivator, minor as it is, I'd like to take care of it...

Silver metallic photographs very well, so its a bit deceptive in the picture.

Heck, in that case........definitely shave off the hockey pucks and paint and make pretty (inside and out)!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

If you are going to stiffen the suspension, are you going to up the HP in the motivational part??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Good luck............There are those that like original only (CW), then there is the rest of us!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Aug 16 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #25

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

not many original looking survivor cars around anymore. I would keep it original as possible.
paint, I woujld paint it but I woujld take everything off and not just mask around for a spray job.
warts...I dont like them but I woujld not delete them since teh car is un-molested.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 16 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #26

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

My $.02 - for a very clean, stock street car I would nix the side markers (hate 'em) but not bother with the stiffening kit. Hood crest/badge is personal preference, but as you know they weren't stock.

My "914R" project is losing its side markers and will (probably) have a factory race car style hood crest decal. It is far from stock or CW material, though.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 18 2011, 07:12 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I would install the Engman kit before the stiffening kit. Major difference.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 24 2011, 01:03 AM
Post #28

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Ask the Modder's crowd & you'll get more yes's, ask the CW crowd & you'll get more No's - the Garage is mostly the former, so I think you know the answer you'll get in this poll! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It's your car & you need to do what you want, but don't "If only..." later! Facts are the all original 914s are fewer & farther between, and they pull a premium in value in stock paint, colors & fitment.

That said, you may find a great P-car paint & body guy in your area who can fix the rust & scratches, while only spot painting & airbrushing in those areas for maybe 10-20% of the overall body/paint area - but metallics are hard to do that with, as compared to a non-metallic, and even some of those colors are harder.

Have at it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 27 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #29

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 24 2011, 12:03 AM) *

Ask the Modder's crowd & you'll get more yes's, ask the CW crowd & you'll get more No's - the Garage is mostly the former, so I think you know the answer you'll get in this poll! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm anything but a CW, and tend to lean towards 'improving' 914's. Having said that, I saw Erics car today at Cars and Coffee, and it is in great condition. It really does not need a respray!
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Aug 27 2011, 01:46 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

I haven’t seen the car in person but I guess I’m kind of in the leave alone camp. But if I was going to respray, I would probably remove the front side markers. I would also spring for the inner long kit. That would stiffen the passenger compartment and allow the trunk to absorb an impact like it was designed to do. That’s kind of what my plan is when I start to deal with the one or two bubbles in the paint on mine.
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Aug 28 2011, 05:23 AM
Post #31

Barberdave

Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I voted to keep the Hockey Pucks, I don't know why. As for the paint a good

detailer can work wonders. I would check the known rust areas ,repair what needs

to be done there. And Enjoy the darn thing. Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
wertygrog
post Aug 28 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #32

wertygrog

Member No.: 5,114

Having seen it yesterday, I would say take it to a professional detailer or two and get their advice. It might be fixable, it might not be. If it isn't and it will continue to bother you, lose the side marker warts and go for a quality paint job! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

p.s. personally I would leave it alone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 03:42 PM