Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1976 2.0 engine rebuild, Euro Pistons
Allan
post Jul 7 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Teenerless Weenie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I need help from the California members. Will going to the euro flat top pistons during a rebuild effect the emissions on a '76 2.0. And can you still meet emissions with a mild cam? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 7 2004, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think you will be fine with the emission but not going to a different cam as the oem cam is pretty damn mild. Going to the Webcam causes idle problems.
Djet is a good system just hard wired so its tough to adjust. Using a cat with help alot.

Geoff
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Jul 7 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

FYI

I am getting a cam from Jake Raby for my 2.0 rebuild. He has one for FI that is made for him by Web Cam and is better. I am hoping it will be easier to manage then the one I had selected directly from Web [an 83 I think]. Make sure you replace the gear and lifters[the lifters need to match the cam].

Peter
74 2 Liter
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Jul 7 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

BTW...

change the oil pump. Jake has a kit that utilizes the "type 1" for better performance and he sells a modified gear [cam gear will need modification] that is reasonably priced.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 7 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #5

Teenerless Weenie

Thanks for all the info. I think I will start picking up the parts as I go along. I really need to prepare myself before I dive into something this big.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jul 8 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

I went through the same thing on my 2l rebuild. I wanted to get new pistons for better compression ratio and to replace my tired old pistons and ended up going with 96mm KB pistons. They are $275 with rings and will yeild a 2056cc displacement. And you can get a higher compressoin ratio (I think around 9.2 depending on head CCs).

I dont know about emissions with this setup. Im pretty sure other people in california run this, but I dont know if they are 73 (like me) or before.
+Quote Post
pat4
post Jul 9 2004, 05:38 AM
Post #7

Philippe

Member No.: 570

Why not trying 94mm pistons from VW T1 1915cc Mahle kit ?

They are forged, cheap ($40 each at aircooled.net) and lighter than T4 pistons ... I just installed them in my engine and fitted my deck-eight to 1millimeter to give 8.5:1 C/R

Of course, rods needs to be 24mm rebushed...
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 9 2004, 07:42 AM
Post #8

Teenerless Weenie

I'm still not sure about the effect it will have as to the emissions. I need to be able to pass Californias smog testing.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Jul 9 2004, 09:31 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 805

Euro pistons increase compression, the effects on emissions should be negligible. Things that affect emissions are:

1. On a '76, you've got a cat converter, and I'm pretty sure that you have a lower CO standard to meet than earlier cars. Make sure your cat is in good condition, actually working, and that when you go in for the test that your engine is FULLY WARMED UP. Your cat doesn't work properly until it's hot, you'll have higher CO with it cold.

2. Valve adjustment must be spot-on to meet the HC standards. If your valves are too tight, they stay open longer and your HC is higher. An associated problem is if you have a non-stock cam. The factory cam has no overlap (-2 degrees, IIRC) whereas most aftermarket cams have some overlap to increase performance through exhaust gas scavenging. Unfortunately, this overlap significantly increases HC. If you go with an aftermarket cam with overlap, before your emissions test, adjust your valves so that they are looser by 0.002" or so. Yes, it'll rattle like hell, but the increased clearance will effectively decrease the overlap and reduce HC.

3. Ignition timing must be spot-on, and your vacuum retard must be working. To pass the idle portion of the test, the ignition timing must be retarded through the action of the vacuum cell. On a '76, your vacuum advance is inactive.

Other tricks people use to pass emissions are to slightly lower the fuel pressure and/or use a fuel oxygenator additive to effectively lean out your mixture (that's what the state does for us in AZ without asking when they add ethanol).

While it's true that a car in stock condition, properly tuned, should pass the standard, these cars frequently need a little "help" to get a passing grade
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 9 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #10

Teenerless Weenie

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. I will go to the euro pistons during the rebuild but stay with the stock cam so it should be okay. I have contacted EBS on the head rebuild already. I here they are really good at it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 04:17 PM