Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to the Forum - 73 1.7L FI, questions about running rough
tadink
post Aug 21 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,181
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(swl @ Aug 21 2011, 06:56 PM) *

There are a few things that are just out of site that might explain a lot

Can you take another picture that would show that which is immediately below the frame of the current picture #2. That is where the MPS and the decel valve are. Just outboard of the intake runners.

couple more photo's - one from each side....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 21 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

I don't see your MPS anywhere? And no air filter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Some of them "plugged" hoses should be going to the air filter.

Also, that looks like the wrong fuel hose and most certainly the wrong hose-clamps. That is an engine fire waiting to happen.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 21 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2011, 08:31 PM) *

I don't see your MPS anywhere? And no air filter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Also, that looks like the wrong fuel hose and most certainly the wrong hose-clamps. That is an engine fire waiting to happen.

My LEAST favorite 914 picture.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tadink
post Aug 21 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2011, 08:31 PM) *

Hi Steve - good eyes - the hoses are a bit of a spaghetti western for sure - and need to be replaced. I'm on that part of it....

the air filter was removed as I was sorting out what was there and what was not - I've replaced and started her up - ran pretty well, still some chop at mid throttle. Might be electronics - might be FI - hard to tell.

certainly a work in progress - - - I'm thinking the MPS is underneath all that crap - electronics in, one hose out?

also, where does the FI brain box live? Mine is just laying under the battery tray, not affixed to anything? If you had a pic of where it should be, that would help me find the right holes to put the thing back.

where is the fuel filter? I'd like to replace, for sure.

found a bunch of sketchy hose connections - and one rubber cap midway between what I think is the MPS and the throttle body. It was mostly corroded, seems to let pressure out but hold vacuum in? guessing. plugged the hole, is that bad?

sigh - perhaps this is a bridge too far and maybe I should seek professional help?

thanks for engaging on this, very appreciated.

best

td
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 22 2011, 08:06 AM
Post #25

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Clean it up, replace all vacume lines, check AAR, check MPS, put on air box, change oil, change fuel and do a basic tune up! It is hard to help you until the basics have been ruled out!

Start with one thing on the list and continue down the list! When you hit a wall ask us for more details about that item/issue and we will inundate you with information on how to procede, getting you to the next item on your list!

Slow and steady wins the game (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The brain mount varys by year

This is my favorite location

75-76 mount
+Quote Post
kerensky
post Aug 22 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 5,508
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(tadink @ Aug 21 2011, 08:37 PM) *
sigh - perhaps this is a bridge too far and maybe I should seek professional help?
You just need to keep in mind that this car has not only been neglected but has had parts 'salvaged' from it over the years. Go slow, no telling what kind of DAPO ('dumb-arse previous owner') surprises might await you. And as the pic above demonstrates, some of those surprises have dire consequences. Just relax, you're in the right place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
swl
post Aug 23 2011, 06:33 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2011, 07:31 PM) *

Gotta agree Andy! That whole area is a dogs breakfast. Not only what you pointed out on the fuel hose but is that actually the fuel rail hanging in mid air with long sections running to the injectors? and one of those hoses is routed through the MPS bracket?

The MPS has to be around somewhere. DJet won't run without it. There is something hidden below the decel valve but it sure doesn't look like an MPS.

TD someone has really done a number on this car. You really need to sort it out before you go running that engine. There are enough folks here to help you through it and it won't be hard or terribly expensive. But it needs to be done.

Here is what that area should look like (the leaf is optional)
Attached Image

The decel valve is the small one on top and the MPS is the big one below. You can just see where the fuel rail goes. It is peaking out from under the left side of the mps.
+Quote Post
tadink
post Aug 23 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(swl @ Aug 23 2011, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2011, 07:31 PM) *

Gotta agree Andy! That whole area is a dogs breakfast. Not only what you pointed out on the fuel hose but is that actually the fuel rail hanging in mid air with long sections running to the injectors? and one of those hoses is routed through the MPS bracket?

The MPS has to be around somewhere. DJet won't run without it. There is something hidden below the decel valve but it sure doesn't look like an MPS.

TD someone has really done a number on this car. You really need to sort it out before you go running that engine. There are enough folks here to help you through it and it won't be hard or terribly expensive. But it needs to be done.

Here is what that area should look like (the leaf is optional)
Attached Image

The decel valve is the small one on top and the MPS is the big one below. You can just see where the fuel rail goes. It is peaking out from under the left side of the decel valve.

thanks guys - keep talking me off the ledge. wow, a cleaned up area looks that good? No wonder I'm covered in grime every time I think about doing anything out there......ok, new hoses, new fuel lines. Got it.

I posted another question about what inventory to purchase of hoses and fuel lines, I'm sure someone has done this once or twice already. How many meters of each type of hose?

we'll get there....

td
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 04:49 PM