Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My v8 conversion thread, With pics, progress, questions ect!!
Levi
post Oct 6 2004, 01:36 AM
Post #201

Lick my nuts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,783

QUOTE(NoPorsche @ Oct 4 2004, 02:03 PM)
Andyrew,

Levi is incorrect...  True, water boils at 212 degrees, BUT that is at atmospheric conditions, not in a pressurized system.
The boiling point of water actually increases approximately 3-degrees for every pound of pressure.  
Therefore, with a 16-lb pressure cap, the water will stay liquid until  about 260 degrees (far greater than 212)...  Your water should not see 260 degrees unless you really have problems.
100% water will provide BETTER cooling efficiency than a 50/50 mix, as the WATER conducts the heat better than coolant.  Coolant has a higher boiling point, but water is more efficient.  Unless you will exceed that boiling point (~260 degrees) the coolant ineffective.
As Sammy mentioned (page 10), you don't want to run Straight water because of corrosion reasons.For the BEST cooling, straight water with Water wetter and/or some other additive to prevent corrosion and possibly reduce the surface tension of the water .

Oh thank God, finally there is someone that knows every fucking thing there is to know about cars, I guess I can finally quit giving all my incorrect advice.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NoPorsche
post Oct 6 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #202

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,144

Oh thank God, finally there is someone that knows every fucking thing there is to know about cars, I guess I can finally quit giving all my incorrect advice.

Wow, whats with that Levi guy? Or maybe she a woman around that time of the month (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Even his signature "I hate knowitall geeks." Good thing I am not a geek. And I don't pretend to know it all, just a typical car-loving guy that wanted to be sure that people like Andrew and Dan didn't get confused by incorrect information... I am sure we all give out some incorrect info now and then, especially in areas where we might not be too familiar (like water-cooled engines and Chevy V8s)...

Or MAYBE Levi wanted to make sure Andrew/Dan couldn't figure it out?

Wow... It just amazes me that someone can't take criticism when incorrect... I did no personal bashing, I simple was stating that his information about the water boiling at 212 in a sealed engine was incorrect.

Anyway, Yeah, the Corvair... After hanging out here though, I begin to get more interested in the 914...

The Toronado swap is NOT very good for handling, etc, but easy to package and can retain the rear seat... The Crown or Porsche setup places the engine for better weight distribution...

Andrew, I like your project. Maybe I'll get to see it sometime in person (I'm about an hour away from Modesto)...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 6 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #203

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

We understood what Levi ment, and we understood what you ment, Levi came over a couple weeks ago and saw my car and chit chatted with my dad (I was in school). Levi's cool.

NoPorsche, feel free to pm me when ever you want to come by and see it! I'll give you a ride.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Oct 6 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #204

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Daaamn Levi . . . .

What the hell was that all about? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Oct 6 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #205

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Levi @ Oct 6 2004, 11:36 AM)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

hey Levi...

You're welcome to come by anytime and give me all the incorrect advice you'd like. Heck, I'll buy the beer.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

P.S. bring the girl in your avatars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Oct 16 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #206

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Time for an update and a question...

The car is coming along nicely. We had our first (of many) cruse nite Thursday. It ran great. Still have issues with dragging exhaust pipe. It's LOW especially with my lard butt in there.

We came up with a new problem with the charging system. The new Optima battery drained after running around a couple days.

Can someone clear up the alternator wiring for me. We have a 3 wire system. 2 spade terminals and the large positive wire. I have a 10ohm resistor inline with the activator wire on terminal 1.

The other wires, #2 and the large wire go back to the battery directly.

I see some diagrams that show a diode. Is that a replacement to the resistor? Does it keep the charging system from pulling a charge out of the battery?

We were getting approximately 14 volts out of the running charging system. I'll check it again shortly.

Thanks,
Flunky Greasemonkey on the Andyrew V8 project.

PS.
Here's a pict from our first night on the town.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
skline
post Oct 17 2004, 05:31 AM
Post #207

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Well, I know you guys are trying to do it on a budget, but Joe just replaced his alternator with a one wire and that is what I am running on mine. It doesnt get any simpler to hook up, and the alternators are about 39.00 or so. Just a suggestion.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 17 2004, 11:08 AM
Post #208

Spooling.... Please wait

I very much want to go with one...

If we cant figure out how to get this one to work, and if my OTHER one doesnt work (suposedly for this conversion.... eh..) then I'll go with dat...

Thanks
Andrew
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Nov 15 2004, 01:47 PM
Post #209

Member No.: 538

So what is the verdict here? Did you ever solve the "car gots no power under full throttle" problem?
+Quote Post
914GT
post Nov 15 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #210

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Dan

I've been using the same alternator you have with no problems. One spade terminal back to near the battery, the other to the original dash alternator light.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Nov 16 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #211

Member No.: 538

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Nov 16 2004, 04:42 PM
Post #212

Easy does it

Member No.: 61
Region Association: None

QUOTE(soloracer @ Nov 15 2004, 11:47 AM)
So what is the verdict here? Did you ever solve the "car gots no power under full throttle" problem?

I was wondering the same thing.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 16 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #213

Spooling.... Please wait

Well, verdict eh?

I g teched it a while ago at 160 RW hp.. So figure about 200hp... Kinda lowly for a 350... lol
Its got a bunch of tq at 2500 and everywhere.. Ie is so responsive its almost undrivable.. (lol)

But it just dies at 4000rmps or so... (match of timing, intake, and exhaust is my guess...)

I havent driven it in a week because somethings loose in the rear suspension, and I havent had any time to get to it.

I am now looking for corvette TPI to put on around christmas. (I'll buy it when money comes my way..lol)

Soooo..

Verdict. The full throttle thing... Well Its alright, when the secondary's kick in, ya, you can feel/hear it. but its not correct AFR...
Its fast, but only about 160hp fast.
very dissapointing. (im used to a 944 turbo race car... and knowing that my car should blow the socks off the turbo, it feels slow in comparison. I am NOT happy)
With everything I curretly have to bolt on, I want 250 rear hp. I just need some time to do it!!!

I'd guess 0-60 is about 6 seconds. Less if I launched it.

Andrew

Yup, its slow.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Nov 16 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #214

TORQUE-o-holic

The answer to the question is... we're not sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

We found an ignition problem that was repaired by running a new 12v feed wire to the HEI. Also removed the unnecessary Cat that was partially plugged (73 model year). That and a bit of tuning made the bad problems go away. Now it's probably a mismatch of components that is hurting the power output. His estimate of power is pretty close, but realise that it's easly double what he had before. So, if that is all it ever becomes, it's enough for me even if it's not enough for him.

Driving wise. It's not easy to loose the tires, but power and thrust are there. Full throttle give a nice roar from the carb. Exhaust is a bit quite, so that will be one of the next items on his list. It's still not allowing us to turn the idle down below 1000 rpms. That bothers me. But it is a pretty ratical cam, so it could be part of the problem.

He did get the window fixed, did a nice job on it and fixed the door handle sticking while he was in there. So now it will seal up against the weather. (except for the front radiator storage...)

Still alot of work to do, but we're now in full garage update mode so things will get put on hold for a bit. We're adding a 1.75 car garage onto our existing 2 car... At least now I can get my cars out of the weather before they deteriorate.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cffd
post May 30 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #215

Member No.: 1,787

Wow!!!!!!!!!......... very nice and well done!! it sounds great!!.. I would like to know how the drivers faces of the rice burners, etc looked like after you put a nice smack down to there suprise. Eric 73-stock 914

• WOW!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Nov 11 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #216

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/spank.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) I have been gone a while and recently read the entire thread again. What is the latest on this project? Seems to have reached a "stall".

What is the "happ's", gang?

Thought I would say "Hi", and get an update on the project.

Steve Hurt
shoguneagle
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Nov 11 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #217

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533

yea' andy, what's up with that injection sytem??? it was sounding pretty good there last month... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Nov 11 2005, 01:27 AM
Post #218

TORQUE-o-holic

I'll reply, since he's doing homework, er well, he should be, if he'll ever get off the phone with his girlfriend.

No big changes since the v8 meet. Plans seem to go whichever the wind is blowing. Current talk is a total overhaul. Pull the engine, repaint the engine compartment, finish the body work, possibly pull the engine apart to check a 'funny' noise.
Excessive work is kinda on hold due to some major work on my cars that may limit running cars.

The good news is that the garage is done. Now I can finish my engine swap on the track 951 and another job that reared it's ugly head. A chiped tooth on the flywheel on the stock 951. This has been his school car and my occasional work car. So, we have some major repairs ahead. The 4 car garage will come in real handy.

Here's a pict of the finished produce. We'll get some interior shots one of these days.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 11 2005, 02:48 AM
Post #219

Spooling.... Please wait

I thought I heard a rod nock the other day... or a bearing...

Anyways, I havent heard anything, I think I just had the idle to low..

I bumped up the idle and it seems to be running just fine.

Im playing with dizzy timing, I've done a little playing around and im very certain that with an electronic dizzy I can get the power delivery perfectly linear (with heads that will flow it..)

I have had no cooling problems, and I dont see over 190 anywhere in the streets. I have some air flow issues that I will be resolving soon when I approach the body work, which is giving me a higher than liked temp durring long travel on the freeway.

Programable fuel injection has given me much more opportunities, that I can not utilize myself. I will need to be putting this engine on a dyno to tune it properly.

Unfortunatly, I will be tearing down the engine before this to inspect and make sure nothing is wrong with the oil pump or rods or bearings or the like.

I will be installing an oil cooler that takes the place of the fresh air ducting by the windshield and running a fan with hoses to the dash vents. This will be my heater fix and should work nicely.

I need to start working on the body work, ie putting on HPH flares via dzuts fasteners, and working on the hood vent ala gt 40 style.

Car will be factory phoenix red, and the wheels I do believe will be black chrome.

I will be semi tube framing the car and I have an engman long kit as well.

Soon the car will be running Goodyear slicks and hopefully I will be able to get it to 2000lbs.

As far as time? I want the car painted by WCC 06. Taking a class right now.

Whew... Thats life in a bottle!!! for the car...

Be sure to check out my pics and my video's!!! The links are in my sig

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1119113382.jpg)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 11 2005, 02:53 AM
Post #220

Spooling.... Please wait

Heres some pics from the recent autox..

THe one from the video.. (with the girl screaming..)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 07:09 PM