Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welding, How did you learn?
sgomes
post Jul 8 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #1

Electric Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,029

I've always wanted to learn how to weld -- even before I bought a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I see a lot of you on here weld and I'm just wondering how you learned. Community college? work? Just bought a welder and went for it? I've searched the local community colleges and couldn't find any classes. I'm in the bay area so if any locals know of a particular place to go I'd love to hear it.

I'm thinking mostly towards MIG. I'd love to learn TIG (mainly to do aluminum) but I've heard over and over that it's pretty hard.

Shannon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 8 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I just practiced...

Taking a JC class would be fun and easy..

Andrew
+Quote Post
Martin Baker
post Jul 8 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #3

I just heard I sold my cars!

Member No.: 290

Bought a book, and a wire feed welder and started reading/doing, my Dad has been a welder for 30 years, he gave me some tips as well. Pratice was his main advice, on scrap, just making basic welds, learning to puddle and backfill the bead ( small circles), in rows. This was all after I called and found out the rates were $100.00 an hour for a welder here. The book was OK, but I never found it to be as helpful to me as watching how the metal reacts while you are actually welding. To see how the metals flow together, and how the different feed and power setting make the process change. I used metal the same thickness of the metal I was going to actually weld on the 914. When my Dad looked at the metal thickness of the 914 battery tray area, he told me it was going to be a difficult process with the welder I bought. I used a thin guage wire, and low settings and a medium feed speed, with short spot type welds, that were spaced out to allow cooling of the surrounding area. It turned out great. I was very proud of my accomplishment after I was finished. Good Luck.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Jul 8 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #4

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I had a buddy (professsional welder/fabricator) teach me for about 30 minutes. He let me practice on his setup for another hour.

Voila! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tunez.gif)

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Jul 8 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

That's two votes for just buying a welder and going for it. I kinda like that idea. I just worry that I'll be missing out on some big technical detail where my welds look fine to me but mechanically they suck. I guess my next stop should be Amazon to see if there are any good books to read.

I doubt I'll ever do too much welding on my 914. It's a rust bucket and could use some welding but mostly I just find many times when I wish I could fab up a quick rack/brace/box/etc or make small repairs around the ranch.

Shannon
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 8 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I took it at ROP in high school and then got a job doing it 10 hours a day for 4 days a week, back then I was making about 500 a week which in the late 70's was pretty good money for a guy still in his teens. It only lasted about 10 months as I burned the hell out of my eyes and felt that my vision was more important than money. I have still been doing it off and on since. Its not hard to do, like everyone will tell you, practice will make you better at it.
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Jul 8 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #7

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

First learned in metal shop in high school. Later in life I bought a MIG and a couple books on welding and practiced, practiced, practiced. I then took an autobody restoration class and practiced more. Then a JC class that was only about welding (MIG, gas, stick, plasma). Little projects help keep me going and welding patches on cars helps bring in a little money (and more practice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )
+Quote Post
Mrs. K
post Jul 8 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #8

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

I had an old boyfriend teach me back in the late '70's. He was a welder by trade, and taught me to gas and arch weld. I even helped them weld a sauna tank and did better than the guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Then, because I already had some experience, I took a creative welding class at a community college for fun and practice. Like the other members have said, it is pretty easy, just be safe and practice a bit and viola! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Go for it!
Lisa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 8 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(sgomes @ Jul 8 2004, 09:47 PM)
Just bought a welder and went for it?

took classes in school. that was in the days before videogames and tekkno.
yeah i know, i'm old ...

the crucible in oakland has great welding classes!
http://www.thecrucible.org/

http://www.thecrucible.org/classes/welding.html

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Jul 9 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #10

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Member No.: 596

Well i took a class but i'm not saying i know how to weld. I didn't get to finnish all the projects in the class since the teacher was kicked out2/4 of the way through the semester. and I havn't been able to practice since. I would say take a class b/c there are things tha the teacher can show you, things you can't read in a book. In my class we did multiple kinds of welds using different types of welding machines. started with gas then stick then mig and if you flew through that stuff you could probably get started on tig. We also learned about gas cutting. The worst part of the class were the mistakes in the book. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jul 9 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #11

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

High scholl auto shop- stick welder.

I've done tons of little projects for myself: roof rack, trailers, big boss BBQ, chassis stiff kit, I need to weld in my rear sway bar mounts next week.

A buddy of mine owns has a shop just outta Napa. He lets me use his wire feed and plasma cutter anytime I want.
He's cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Many late, late nighters... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowtorch.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Jul 9 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #12

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

Just bought a quality MIG and went for it. Helps if you know someone who is 'good' so you can watch and listen for the different fizzing sounds.
One of those auto react masks is very helpful too as you can actually see what you're doing.
-J
+Quote Post
morph
post Jul 9 2004, 01:16 AM
Post #13

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

my wife hiedi taught me how on a stick welder.and still is a much better welder than me.took me afternoon to kinda get it,and a few weeks of practice to get pretty good.
+Quote Post
ablose58
post Jul 9 2004, 01:26 AM
Post #14

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

I initially learned from my brother that used to build subs and he had his own fab shop. Then I went on to welding in a cheese plant in Pa. doing stainless both mig and sanitary tig and so on, now I can pretty much weld anything that is put in front of me. Like most of the other people said,practice practice practice, alot of it is all in your technique and having some decent equipment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) AL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/froggy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 9 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #15

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

you can learn to mig in 15 minutes. have someone there just to get you started, you'll take it from there.
+Quote Post
Otmar
post Jul 9 2004, 01:52 AM
Post #16

2000 Amps in a 914

Member No.: 387

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 9 2004, 12:31 AM)
you can learn to mig in 15 minutes.  have someone there just to get you started, you'll take it from there.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
The MIG is also known as a "glue gun" since it's about as easy to use as one.

I knew gas welding from high school, and started MIG on the floor of this Old Stretch. By the time I was doing the underside on my back is was easy enough to do.

You seem to be local, I've been know to give a five minute MIG lesson to those who want to learn, then I just let them play with scrap for a while. Seems to work well. Let me know if you want to come play.
+Quote Post
majkos
post Jul 9 2004, 06:35 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Like what everybody says,Practice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
One big advise though! Prep work!!!!
Helps to have a clean weld by taking time to CLEAN the metal wherever you're gonna weld.
Keeps the splattering to a mim. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) and wear welding stuffs(leather clothes,!Jeans-ok)
If doing a lot of weld,do not have too much skin expose,(your arms) it can get sunburn! A good eye shield,proper tinted glass is importent.Once done a lot of welding,only to wake up the next day,not being able to handle daylight! (Borrowed welding mask)never again,ouch!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 9 2004, 07:19 AM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

When I was 18 I landed a good job working for a pre-fab home builder. (the year I met Sandy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) ) But that wasn't my calling. After I got into a fist fight with my dad and and left home I quit the carpenter thing and enrolled in welding school. I found an apartment down the alley from Sandy's Mom's place. We just about starved while I was in school. Worse was when I completed the course I had to beg for a job to prove myself. ( $3.50 hr starting!) But later that year I was hired at a local ship yard. I welded everything there. I worked in the sub zero winter on Lake Superior. They didn't call off work because it was too cold.
I made $ 11.72 hr. in 1975. (ya me and Sir Andy are old) I made $ 12.72 for hazard pay (working in the inside the tanks or hanging off the end of a crane cable.) I made time and a half on Saturday and Double time on Sunday. I worked every hour I could get. We were laid off in the summers. I built Street Machines and collected unemployment insurance all summer! Man I miss those days!
+Quote Post
jandro62
post Jul 9 2004, 08:01 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,156

Took a summer community college class that taught basics on MIG, TIG, oxy-acetylene , and metal arc. Using both hands takes a bit of practice. Find some way to stabilize your arms, by leaning up on something or resting them on something. Also, if you know someone that can weld already, its really helpful to see a good weld for reference.
+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 9 2004, 08:35 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,194

One more vote for practice! I'm self-taught as well (a couple books and plenty of good advice).

The only thing I'd add is that if you're afraid you're not getting good penetration don't be afraid to take your practice pieces and break them; sledgehammer, air chisel, got to town! Once you start tearing them apart you'll see what's cold and what's not.

P.S. Use proper safety gear! Drives me batty every time I see a Discovery show with people welding by braille (no face shield). We won't talk about the time I set my pants on fire...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:13 AM