Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> fresh air light won't work, where does this ground out?
bradtho
post Aug 20 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,165
Region Association: None

I've got my fresh air blower working again, hopefully I'll actually be able to defrost a bit this coming winter!

anyway, I can't get the little dash light to work. I've got a solid 12v on the hot side, and it makes it through to the ground side with a bulb in, but it never lights up. I've swapped the bulb to another location so I know the bulb is fine.

that pretty much just leaves it not grounding out properly, right? the ground for the bulb runs into the dash harness. I've looked up the wiring schematics but they don't show the indicator lights (or I'm reading it wrong).

any ideas? yeah, I know it's just a stupid indicator and you can barely tell that they're on or not, but it's the principle of it all at this point.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 10)
914Mels
post Aug 20 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,221
Region Association: Southern California

What year?
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Aug 20 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #3

late 72. I've got the updated dash with the vents at the far edges.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 20 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Check for corrosion in the socket the bulb goes into. Just lately I have had two electrical problems that were easily taken care of by simply cleaning up corrosion. Clean up corrosion, and make sure you have good ground contacts.
+Quote Post
914Mels
post Aug 21 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,221
Region Association: Southern California

My wiring diagram shows the ground coming off the switch, the only brown wire and going to the ground connection on the body above the fuse box. It looks like from the picture that the switch is part of the ground circuit so don't rule out the actual switch as your problem. I'd jumper a ground to the original gound wire and see if the light works then. If it still doesn't work you know your switch is the problem.
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Aug 21 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #6

but if the switch wasn't grounded then the fan wouldn't work, right? the fan's blowing away. I can't find any diagrams that show the wiring for the instrument lights. does yours?
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Aug 21 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(bradtho @ Aug 21 2011, 07:49 PM) *

but if the switch wasn't grounded then the fan wouldn't work, right? the fan's blowing away. I can't find any diagrams that show the wiring for the instrument lights. does yours?

This diagram is correct for most, if not all years:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_74A.jpg

The switch does provide ground to the motor and the light, but on separate contacts. Under the ashtray was not a great place, a lot of them have been burned and scarred by all the hot ashes, so corrosion in the switch is not uncommon. My switch needed to be cleaned to get the light working, even though the motor did work. Also the light sockets were crusty and the lights still did not work till those were cleaned.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Aug 22 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bradtho @ Aug 21 2011, 07:49 PM) *

The light is grounded through the switch.
The fan and the light use different circuits so the fan can work and the light won't.
Take out the ashtray and look at the switch. The light contact is the one that has the smaller radius. The wire that goes to the light is the single contact on bottom side. You may be able to access it from under the dash.

Found those pictures on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...e#ht_573wt_1131
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Aug 22 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #9

thanks, very helpful. I didn't have time to yank the controls from the dash tonite to try to clean them up, but that inner radius contact is all green and the outer is nice and gold looking. I've got a solid ground where the wire connects, but nothing getting to the plate on top or the wire on the bottom. looks like you found the culprit.
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Aug 23 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

I dont like the current flow diagrams; here is a real diagram. #30 is the switch and #63 is the fan blower. Check for dirty contacts, broken wires; if the fan is working then the bulb should be too.
Attached Image
I added a light to the heater side and used the heater lever as the ground.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Sep 17 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #11

I've distracted with other things, but got back to this one today. i cleaned up the contacts on both sides, and the voltmeter said I was good but the light still wouldn't go.

I don't know if I bent the contact cleaning it up or if it was already bent, but it wasn't touching the contact plate. When I'd put the voltmeter on it, apparently I was pushing it down enough to make contact.

Anyway, a little twisting with some needle nose pliers and we're back in business. I now have functioning blue and red lights (just like tradisrad's pic). Just in time for the change in weather.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 08:54 AM