Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starter not starting wen ah start it, Runnnn Forest...Runnnnn!!!!
Steve Thacker
post Jul 9 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #1

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Group: Members
Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dear Abby,
Just thought I would throw a little problem to the wind an see if you would have a clue.
I have a 73 2.0 that just loves to gravatate my ass near insanity with not wanting to kick over recently.
ALSO, when I turn on the headlights, the center volt guage goes to the left in a big hurry. I know this spells a short ...somewhere...OK I have two issues. Grenade?!

Symptoms:
Usually starts just fine, however it takes spells and the only way to get the car to fire over is ,..pop it in neutral, turn on the key and then get in the back and jumper a screwdriver between the yellow and power lead going to the starter. Turning on the key, basically the fuel pump comes on but the starter won't engage.

$@#$ing car!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Items conditions standing:

1.\ New Starter
2.\ New plastic ignition switch
3.\ New / slightly used ignition switch tumbler w/key (Thank you Bill Whitesides)
4.\ Factory grounds on the tranny new and then another new ground from the battery to where the engine and tranny bolt together.

What I have done:

1.\ I replaced all the wires to the fuel pump when I moved it to the front trunk. However this in the past also had/has spells and the pump refuses to come on "intermittant".
It appears ok for the time being... I think... I have the pump issue resolved with a relay replacement.

2.\ Checked all my grounds, fuses, "but" not any relays if indeed it has/needs one.

3.\ Cursed like a drunken sailor and I'm getting better at it too! Ain't that someth'in?!

4.\ Threatened it by promising if it doesn't cut this crap out right now:

a.) I'm going to use it in a improvised munitions demonstration! Rest assured, they will find parts all the way to Cleveland. Some may even get a speeding ticket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

b.) I would smashing the son-of-ah-beech into a high speed toaster that coasts well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

c.) Leave it to a ex wife,..they deserve each other.
"The ex wouldn't start most of the time either after the first bite of wedding cake."

Grouchy today am I not?.....Apologies, rough day at work.

Signed,

Po 914 lacky in OHIah
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Jul 9 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #2

bump
+Quote Post
scotty
post Jul 10 2004, 11:25 AM
Post #3

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718
Region Association: None

Hmmm. It looks like you've done a whole lot, eliminating everything I can think of. Instead of the screwdriver trick, why not put in a starter switch that makes the connection for you... something like this:
(IMG:http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/nos-15606.jpg)

If it helps, I feel your pain. On the first start of the day, mine will let me crank once. After that, I can turn the key all I want: the solenoid will click, but the starter won't crank (battery is fully charged). I have to get out, beat on the starter, then crank again. What a pain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

scott
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Jul 10 2004, 04:42 PM
Post #4

Dang....I hate the idea of another switch on the dash., but I may have to go that route if I can't find this fault. I know the little SOB is a easy fix,..just not a easy find. Thanks for the suggestion!
+Quote Post
BatAc
post Jul 10 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,329

Other than putting it in nuetral pushing a little and jumping in, throwing it in gear and popping the clutch (this gets old,not to mention when you kick the fuse box jumping in 'n' fuses go flying everywhere) here was my final solution. Bosch makes a kit that hooks directly onto the starter that (oh no, I'm tempting the gods here) starts ev..y (I can't say the full word, I'll be cursed) time so far.
+Quote Post
basenji7
post Aug 2 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,953

I'm feeling the same pains with my '74 2.0L. What is this Bosh switch??? I'm ready to bypass everything!!!

thx..........d
+Quote Post
Marlow
post Aug 2 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,027

Just a thought, not even sure if your '73 has it, but have you checked the seat interlock relay under the passenger seat? I know this has caused a lot of no-start headaches.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 2 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Define "new starter". They're all Bosch, but you're apt to have trouble from the get-go with starters rebuilt by anyone other than Bosch itself. Have you checked the wiring between the ignition switch and the relay board, the board itself, and from the board to the starter? Over the last 31 years of working on 914s, I have found that the wiring is most often the cause of such problems ("most often", following autoparts store rebuilt starters, that is!). In that case, I use a 6 volt Ford starter relay ("Standard" brand SS-571), mounting it on the end of the starter, and using heavy gauge wires to ensure the good flow of current. BTW, some real late '73s may have the seatbelt interlock logic relay under the right seat. Known problem spot. You might want to look into that. HTH, The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 2 2004, 02:25 PM
Post #9

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

My first car had this problem too.

Try reaching up in there in a tuxedo trying to leave you're own wedding...No thanks.

I always thought the root cause was lack of voltage to the solenoid due to decay of the 30 year old wires from the iggy switch.
Esp. when hot, because the starter expands internally and requires even more juice to go.

What is the proper voltage at the solenoid for reliable starting?

The relay-add trick gives it full 12v plus, so that works. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I have the kit in my car and it ALWAYS turns over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
94teener
post Aug 2 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,636

Check the fat yellow wire connection under the passenger seat to insure that it is solidly connected. Add a hot start relay, it's cheap, it works, I put one on all my 914 cars.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BatAc
post Aug 2 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #11

I guess this was a problem early on. I'll find out what the Bosch thing is and post later. It attaches onto the starter.
+Quote Post
BatAc
post Aug 3 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #12

It's called a Bosch starter relay kit. It worked for me that's all I can say.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:35 PM