Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michelin Tire Test - PCA Parade, Any 914 club members there?
Randal
post Jul 9 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

MICHELIN "Try Me Tires" Program

After the regular AX competitive runs each day, Michelin will again offer AX competitors the opportunity to try their tires on the Parade AX course. This "Try Me Tires" session will be available for 2 hours. Your runs will be timed so that you can compare your results. NOTE: You must already have competed in the AX to be allowed to run... we will check your Results Label on the windshield, so don't remove it.

There will be a $10 fee for 2 runs. All proceeds from the "Try Me Tires" program will be given to our charity, the Hope Shelter.

Charlie Davis, Autocross Chair

If we have any members down there, maybe we can learn whether or not the new Michelin tires work?

Wonder if they are going to be offering slicks at the tire test?

Any information appreciated.

My Webpage
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 10 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

i was at a Michelin tech session at which they announced the 'Pilot Sport 2' and described its many advantages over the original Pilot Sport. they seemed quite pleased that it would be available in both 17" and 18" diameters, with 19" and 20" "soon."
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 10 2004, 09:54 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Rich,

Did anyone run their tires and have a comparison with what they ran earlier in the day?

Randal
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 10 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #4

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 10 2004, 07:54 AM)
Did anyone run their tires and have a comparison with what they ran earlier in the day?l

sorry - i can see i gave you the wrong impression ...

the tech session i attended was in February or March -- not at this year's Parade...

the PS2 is a 'sporty street tire' suitable for GT2 and GT3-class cars, and not a track tire like the Pilot Sport Cup, and definitely not a competition slick.

i'm not at Parade and don't have a clue about the 'Try Me' program.

the only point of my post was that Michelin has pretty much abandoned the "legacy/vintage" market and is not interested in producing tires for even 16" wheels, to say nothing of 15's... i know there are people running 17's and 18's on 914's, and i suppose a "+3" 18" 914 wheel is no weirder than the "+3" 16" wheels i used to run on the GTI...

still - it's a struggle trying to stay 'reasonably period correct' with the "RS-like" 911... 18's just look out of place on a long-hood car (IMO).
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Jul 10 2004, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248

Yeah, but custom 17" Fuchs like Jack Olsen on the bird board runs is pretty cool.

I wonder if I can talk my wife into letting me AX the new Sienna... just to try the Michelin tires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 08:01 PM