Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> voltage meter questions, electrical phenomenon
rj777
post Jul 12 2004, 07:30 AM
Post #1

ramajon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,336

when i turn any electric accessory on in my 75 1.8 the voltage meter immediately drops...i have a new battery and a new after market voltage regulator...these improved the amt of charge a bit, but same thing happens...also when i turn on direction indicator the volt meter moves back and forth in time w/ blinker...is this normal??? if not, how do i fix this???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 12 2004, 07:41 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rj777 @ Jul 12 2004, 05:30 AM)
...when i turn on direction indicator the volt meter moves back and forth in time w/ blinker...is this normal???

normal, sad but true.
like a horoscope, the voltmeter in a 914 console is 'for entertainment purposes only.'
or for comparing readings obtained under similar circumstances. if you see it sagging in cruise, or worse - spiking above 14V, it can be an indication of a problem.

but it is located (electrically) in a place where it cannot possibly be as useful as you'd like.

cleaning all the grounds in the area of the instrument cluster will help - a bit.

i've been to and through SEZ many times - beautiful country !
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 12 2004, 07:41 AM
Post #3

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

My car seems to do this too.

I'm not quite sure why, but I have found that I can leave the lights on for hours, then turn them off, and the voltage gauge in my console show 12+/- volt alway. I also have noticed that the engine won't tart with any of the accessories on.

(By the way, I have a 74 1.8, I don't know if the 1.8L FI wiring has anything to do with it)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 12 2004, 07:56 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The volts spikes has to do with how the meter pulls its 12 volts. Its off a long series of connections so if you want better readings run a wire off the alt or ign switch. Ground it nearer to the meter too.

Vacationed in Sedona two years ago, a very beautiful place! Never saw a 914 there just lots of SUV's and those Jeeps for Hire.

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
hargray2
post Jul 12 2004, 08:06 AM
Post #5

fuh-q

Member No.: 1,432

I doubt it bounced from the factory. Bad grounds will play you for a fool. Check grounds
under dash at the connector. Make sure the connector is good and make sure it is tight.
You can check the resistance of the ground connection with a volt-ohmmeter. Digital
meters are not as useful as analog meters for troubleshooting shorts and opens in wiring. But you can get by with it. Disconnect the ground wire from the voltmeter in the console. Put your volt-ohmmeter in the ohms mode. Check the resistance from the end
of the wire (where it attaches to the gauge) to a good chassis ground. You should read
around zero ohms. If you use an analog volt-ohmeter, you can see the needle fluctuate
if you have a bad connection, especially if you wiggle the wires around. A digital volt-ohmmeter is more for accuracy readings--They don't sample very fast--so you can miss
transient readings.

I also think the main battery cable to the cockpit is a bit small, therefore any minute flaw
will cause problems. 914 owners experience many strange electrical problems.
Dim lights--clicky starter--bouncy gauges...

good luck
+Quote Post
rj777
post Jul 12 2004, 08:15 AM
Post #6

ramajon

Member No.: 2,336

you guys are great...thanks for the insights...by the way there are 2 running 914s in town...a red 1 i've seen a bit but never spoke to the owner and my blue one..probably not its original color...also there is a grn one but haven't seen it running a friend worked on the rat chewed electric system...thanks again
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 08:46 AM