Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SCCA Club Racing Rules Changes, Moving 914s in IT classes
don9146
post Jul 12 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,500
Region Association: None

In 2004, the 914 2.0L raced in SCCA's IT class were placed in ITA and 1.7L cars were in ITB. Both were very uncompetitive. It looks like the SCCA is finally making some rule changes that actually help 914 owners for once (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
The following is from the proposed changes in 2005 for the IT class (available on their web site in .pdf format and in the new issue of Sports Car magazine):

Item 7: Should the proposed Performance Compensation Adjustmet be approved by the Board of Directors, the Club Racing Board is recommending that the 1970-73 Porsche 914 1.7L be reclassed from ITB to ITC and have its weight adjusted to 2080 lbs. (I would assume that would re-classify the 1.8L as well, but it is not mentioned in the report. Also, the weight adjustment adds zero pounds compared to this year.).

Item 8: Should the proposed Performance Compensation Adjustmet be approved by the Board of Directors, the Club Racing Board is recommending that the 1973-76 Porsche 914 2.0L be reclassed from ITA to ITB and have its weight adjusted to 2260 lbs. (This would add 30 lbs. to the car compared to this year).

This is good news for anyone trying to race a 914 on the cheap, although racing and cheap can never actually be used in the same sentence. I am sure the rule changes will raise some new questions, and I would like to hear some opinions since I am planning to field a car by the end of the year. The main question I can think of:

Will a well-built 914 2.0L at 2260 lbs. really be faster than a well-built 914 1.7L at 2080 lbs.? A 180 lb. difference in the weight with cars this light is HUGE! That works out to be an 8.5% difference in the weight versus a 17.5% difference in displacement. With all other things being equal between the engines, which they aren't, the extra displacement of the 2.0L should be faster, but the 2.0L is limited to the 7.6 to 1 compression pistons (yuck!) versus 8.2 to 1 for the 1.7L (and 7.3 to 1 for the 1.8L). Any thoughts? And happy racing!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 04:35 AM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

When I ran ITB in the '90s I really enjoyed being in that group of cars. The 914 seemed to be a mid-pack car at best, but I had a lot of fun. I would race in that group again and try to be more competetive than before, since I have learned a lot since then.
The ITC crowd seems to treat their cars as more disposable, so I am a bit leery of being in that group, but I like the idea of being classified more competetively too.
The 2 liter is definitely outclassed in ITA and would do much better in ITB.
A lot of ITA cars are considered sports cars, a few ITB cars are considered sports cars, and only a couple of ITC cars can be called sports cars. From that perspective they are where they belong already. I just don't think you can make them competetive with weight adjustments alone, and engine allowances ain't gonna happen in IT.
I used to use Yoko A008RS 195-50 tires, and when I switched to the (then) new Hoosier 205's the car was slower due to increased parasitic drag. I compromised and ran Yokos up front and Hoosiers in the rear for my best lap times, but it was harder to drive due to the different slip angle characteristics of the 2 tires.
+Quote Post
morgan
post Jul 13 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 488

I run in ITB with a 318i look forward to more cars running
JM
+Quote Post
don9146
post Jul 13 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,500

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 13 2004, 05:35 AM)
When I ran ITB in the '90s I really enjoyed being in that group of cars.  The 914 seemed to be a mid-pack car at best, but I had a lot of fun.  I would race in that group again and try to be more competetive than before, since I have learned a lot since then.
The ITC crowd seems to treat their cars as more disposable, so I am a bit leery of being in that group, but I like the idea of being classified more competetively too.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of how "careless" some drivers might be if they are essentially running a shitbox challenge car. Point taken.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 13 2004, 05:35 AM)
The 2 liter is definitely outclassed in ITA and would do much better in ITB.
A lot of ITA cars are considered sports cars, a few ITB cars are considered sports cars, and only a couple of ITC cars can be called sports cars.  From that perspective they are where they belong already.  I just don't think you can make them competetive with weight adjustments alone, and engine allowances ain't gonna happen in IT.

Which will be more competitive? A 2.0L in ITB or a 1.7L / 1.8L in ITC? From what I have read, a 2.0 in IT will produce about 115 hp at the flywheel. With a 2260 lb. weight minimum, that gives a weight to hp ratio of 19.8 to 1. A 1.8 would be making about 95 hp with a 2080 lb. minimum for a 21.9 to weight to horsepower ratio.
The 2.0L should be faster, but which car would be more competitive? Are my hp "guestimates" correct? Also, I plan to "graduate" to a faster class after I race for a few seasons and get my "sea legs" back. Which car would be easier to build into a faster class? Or would I be better off starting from scratch again?

Thanks,
Don
+Quote Post
morgan
post Jul 13 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 488

My 318i weighs in at 2445 with driver. It took some years but have not lost a race in two years
John (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 13 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

What class would it run in with a 5.7L?

And everything else...

Jus curious...

Andrew
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(don9146 @ Jul 13 2004, 03:10 PM)
Which will be more competitive? A 2.0L in ITB or a 1.7L / 1.8L in ITC? From what I have read, a 2.0 in IT will produce about 115 hp at the flywheel. With a 2260 lb. weight minimum, that gives a weight to hp ratio of 19.8 to 1. A 1.8 would be making about 95 hp with a 2080 lb. minimum for a 21.9 to weight to horsepower ratio.
The 2.0L should be faster, but which car would be more competitive? Are my hp "guestimates" correct? Also, I plan to "graduate" to a faster class after I race for a few seasons and get my "sea legs" back. Which car would be easier to build into a faster class? Or would I be better off starting from scratch again?

As much as I like running 1.7/1.8 liter cars, I think I would take the extra weight and bigger engine and stay in ITB.
The next level up is Production, where I currently race. It's a big change, and costs a lot more $$ to prep and run there. If you built the cage right the first time it wouldn't be too hard to upgrade the same car, which is what I did. That is unless you decided to chop the windshield and run a low front hoop.
The 2 liter is in EP, wich is a big dollar class these days.
FP isn't far behind if a National program is what you plan on running.
For me the ITB 2 liter, with the option to upgrade to a 1.8 FP setup, sounds like the best bang for bucks.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 13 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #8

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 13 2004, 03:33 PM)

And everything else...

Jus curious...

Andrew

That one's easy. Iron-block 914's have no class! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (jk)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #9

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 13 2004, 07:33 PM)

And everything else...

Jus curious...

Andrew

With all the right safety and performance upgrades you could run in SPO (regional only) and stomp on Busch cars, race trucks and Porsche 944 Turbos.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 09:51 AM