Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Goin' to the Pcar dealership today, for a test drive
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 04:57 AM
Post #1

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

My dad and I have an appointment at the local Porsche dealer today after lunch, and the forecast is for rain.
What do you think we should try? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
I don't think I'll ever buy a new Porsche, neither will my dad, but I'll let them try to talk him out of his new Euro-spec BMW. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 13 2004, 06:04 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 13 2004, 02:57 AM)
What do you think we should try? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

as long as you're not buying anyway - Turbo Cayenne ...
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Jul 13 2004, 09:49 AM
Post #3

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

The Carrera GT might be ok (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) , but if they won't let you drive that, go for a GT3 or a GT2. Have fun!
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 13 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #4

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

even the anniversary edition 911 would be a fun drive... saw one yesterday on 45 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jul 13 2004, 11:45 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4

see if there are any used '97 boxsters on the lot.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 13 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

as long as you're not buying anyway - Turbo Cayenne ...

i was thinking more along the lines of the "regular" Cayenne.....and make sure you total it with no damage to engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ....I've been trying to find a wrecked on to grab the motor from and so far all the wrecks have been minor enough to repair the vehicle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

I'd vote for the new 997 if they are out yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
peridotian
post Jul 13 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

MUST TRY BOXSTER S-son 0' 914
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #8

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(peridotian @ Jul 13 2004, 03:16 PM)
MUST TRY BOXSTER S-son 0' 914

We have a winner! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

My newly established opinion is that this car is what the 914 would have become anyway, if it had the chance for 30+ years of development like its bigger brother. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Too bad the factory didn't market it this way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I was comfortable in it right away. Apart from the much more powerful engine, added weight, water cooled sound, huge tires, big red brakes, luxo interior, better window seals, etc. it was just like being in a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

We only got to drive one car, and my dad had already set this one up in advance. Unfortunately there are no nice country roads with in test drive distance of the dealership. I had to keep it down to about 2x the posted speeds the whole time (except on the highway of course). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
The roads were pretty wet, so I didn't screw around at all. Besides, my dads insurance wouldn't like to get a repair bill from the dealership. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Edit: Oh, yeah, that sticker in the windshield sucks for driving, but really sucks for the passenger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Jul 13 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 538

I imagine that if the new Boxster S was selling for the same price as an unmodified 914 most of us would purchase the Boxster S. After your test drive I have a question for you. If you had the funds in hand to either purchase the Boxster S or put into making the ulitmate 914 (3.8 engine, big brakes, etc.) which would you do?
+Quote Post
peridotian
post Jul 13 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #10

Unregistered

Chris,
Do you know Ric Van Sickle from Chicago? He is my brother in law. His sister (my wife) just got a new Boxster S for 50th birthday. SHE LOVES IT!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #11

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(soloracer @ Jul 13 2004, 07:33 PM)
If you had the funds in hand to either purchase the Boxster S or put into making the ulitmate 914 (3.8 engine, big brakes, etc.) which would you do?

The simple answer is - I would buy the Boxster S!

In the real world things are never so simple. Really I would need a lot more than just enough money for the purchase to make it work. Owning cars like that requires additional disposable income, compared to the way I live my life.
So if I just had $50k in a bank account, reserved for a car, I would probably take a few years and do up a real cool 914, using my own labor to further improve the outcome. Maybe I would buy a wrecked Boxster and use the engine and other stuff for the 'teener.
+Quote Post
peridotian
post Jul 13 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

The "S" is definitely worth the extra sheckels.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 05:50 PM
Post #13

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(peridotian @ Jul 13 2004, 07:47 PM)
Chris,
Do you know Ric Van Sickle from Chicago? He is my brother in law. His sister (my wife) just got a new Boxster S for 50th birthday. SHE LOVES IT!

I have his front struts in my shop for spindle raising right now.
Small world. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
peridotian
post Jul 13 2004, 06:00 PM
Post #14

Unregistered

Chris,
Ric is the one who hooked me on 914's. He speaks VERY highly of your work. I am sure that I will have some business for you on my teener projects so you can get that Boxster quicker!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 06:53 PM
Post #15

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(peridotian @ Jul 13 2004, 08:00 PM)
Chris,
Ric is the one who hooked me on 914's. He speaks VERY highly of your work. I am sure that I will have some business for you on my teener projects so you can get that Boxster quicker!

Cool! Thanks!
He mentioned you indirectly I think in an email, regarding choice of wheels, maybe. I'm raising the spindles pretty far.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 13 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #16

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I've had an '00 Boxster for almost three years now. It had 36xx miles on it and I traded a'91 C2 for it, along with some inheritance money. Figured it was probably my only chance to get a "new" Porsche, even though it wasn't 100% new, close enough for me.

My tag is "2000914". The first time I drove a Boxster I thought it had a 914 feel to it. Even though it is so much more sophisticated, it evokes 914 feelings.

My personal choice was for the Tiptronic transmisson. I know how to drive a stick shift. I learned how to drive on a stick shift car, and from 1979 until 1990 my only car was a 914. After living with the Tip for almost three years, and the fact that Porsche keeps improving them, I don't think I'd ever consider anything else. Plus the fact that you don't have to worry about letting someone else drive your car and miss a shift, or ever purchase a clutch.

One thing I've found to be sort of funny. On occasion when I can't wash the Boxster myself, I run it through a touchless auto car wash. Well when the high pressure goes over the top part of the side glass there is a little leak on the inside. The first time this happened, I said "hell this thing has got some 914 in it after all"!

New P cars are something else. Porsche does it's homework. I love the features of the Cayenne, I just wish it was nicer to look at!

PK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:19 PM